Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 12:45 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times

Advertisements

i understand that my taxes won't definitely go up just because the assessed value increases, but they way I understand it, WO taxes, as a whole, are not going up. They are just finally going to level out the field. Where a new condo that is worth approx $450,000 is paying $18,000 in taxes, and my 1930 house which I purchased for $445,000 is paying $9,800 in taxes, I would assume the logical conclusion is the new owners will pay slightly less, and the older assessments will pay slightly more. And that's fair, and I'm ok with that.

I forgot about the details of the brochure ansky - thanks! I am considering adding central air, but definitely not until next year. Kitchen will happen eventually, but probably not for a few years. Roof and plumbing are definitely the first projects. Then we will see from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 12:54 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,517,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i understand that my taxes won't definitely go up just because the assessed value increases, but they way I understand it, WO taxes, as a whole, are not going up. They are just finally going to level out the field. Where a new condo that is worth approx $450,000 is paying $18,000 in taxes, and my 1930 house which I purchased for $445,000 is paying $9,800 in taxes, I would assume the logical conclusion is the new owners will pay slightly less, and the older assessments will pay slightly more. And that's fair, and I'm ok with that.

I forgot about the details of the brochure ansky - thanks! I am considering adding central air, but definitely not until next year. Kitchen will happen eventually, but probably not for a few years. Roof and plumbing are definitely the first projects. Then we will see from there.
your a good person!! Hats off to you! this is to the statement that you made about fairness and your ok with it!! You sure have some good things in WO and your one of them~~~!!!Marilyn

Old 08-03-2010, 07:27 AM

thanks marilyn. it's true though. it's not fair that my home and another home worth the same amount pay exhorborantly different taxes - i think assessments should be done frequently to ensure that no one's tax burden gets that out of line with other residents in the town. The prior assessment being done 26 years ago is just insane - i don't understand how local governments allow that to happen.

of course, this doesn't mean i want to pay more taxes. hehehe.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:02 AM

OK - so went to NJ Propert search (NJ Property Search) and searched my property.

The previous owners are listed, since i just purchased in march.

their purchase price is listed ($436,000). land assessment is $17,800. "Improv. Assessment" is $60,800. Total is $78,600.

so i'm wondering - was there some sort of reassessment done on this property maybe because of renovations that they did? that might make it hurt less than the last assessment being 1984!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey