Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2010, 09:22 PM

284 posts, read 615,118 times

Advertisements

Someone recommended to me because of the small class size, it is a private school.
Please share your experiences - good , bad?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,490 times
Default The Wilson School

Hi,

I just saw your post about the Wilson School and see that no one responded. We are planning a move to NJ and the Wilson School came highly recommended for our daughter. Just wondering if you ever got feedback, experienced the school first hand, etc... Any info you have about the school would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:32 PM

284 posts, read 615,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aheatherton View Post
Hi,

I just saw your post about the Wilson School and see that no one responded. We are planning a move to NJ and the Wilson School came highly recommended for our daughter. Just wondering if you ever got feedback, experienced the school first hand, etc... Any info you have about the school would be greatly appreciated.

We didn't go to Wilson, and do not know anyone who did, hence I don't have first-hand information about the academics.

At the time when I looked at Wilson, it was for my special needs daughter, she has high IQ, but slow in processing, hence a school with smaller class size would help. It was recommended by the consultant at a learning center she attended. I eventually considered the school for both kids.

We went for open house, and I think one of my kids attended the school for a day. My impression was that the school was small both in student body size and the physical building. My kid liked the school though, but probably because of the classmates. A concern I had at the time was that the grade my daughter was supposed to be in had only about 5 , 6 students which I thought was not healthy for her. My daughter also interviewed with Newark Academy and found out one of the Wilson students was also interviewing, and according to my daughter, the student's family was also concerned on the class size. I also felt that because of the smaller class size, they could not afford to be as selective as other private schools which may or may not be good.

I met with the faculty and the admission people, I thought they were nice and caring, but I don't think I can say much.. I looked into the curriculum and thought it was okay. I asked for homework assignment and felt that the teachers did try to make connections among various subjects, say they were learning ancient ??, then the Language Arts readings reinforced the same area.

As the school only goes up to 8th grade, they claimed they had high success rate of transferring the students to Newark Academy and Pingry, both were expensive and quite difficult to get into.
Wilson's tuition was affordable by NJ standard (around $20K at the time and would be a good deal if the kids were able to transfer to Newark Academy which is over $30K).

The main reason I didn't consider it was because it did not have busing, we may be able to drop off our kids, but the pick up could be very expensive and may not be reliable.
My kid eventually had a tutor who was a teacher at Wilson and all I can say is that I don't regret not sending her there...but then the tutor may just be a bad apple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey