Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 07:42 PM

52 posts, read 205,598 times

Advertisements

Husband will be commuting to JC- would this be an option? What would his options be as far as commuting? How long with each one? Is it considered a desirable place for a young family (two girls under 5)? I stay home and will continue to do so...would this be somewhere we'd have fun stuff to do, as well as feeling safe while my husband travels?
Thanks!
Saw a great rental listed in the new Kara neighborhood- Cottage Gate at Navesink- any ideas on that? We're thinking of renting first, then buying once we get an idea of the areas...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 08:38 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,204,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kykatsmom View Post
Husband will be commuting to JC- would this be an option? What would his options be as far as commuting? How long with each one? Is it considered a desirable place for a young family (two girls under 5)? I stay home and will continue to do so...would this be somewhere we'd have fun stuff to do, as well as feeling safe while my husband travels?
Thanks!
Saw a great rental listed in the new Kara neighborhood- Cottage Gate at Navesink- any ideas on that? We're thinking of renting first, then buying once we get an idea of the areas...
commuting to JC from middletown is done either by driving or via train to newark and path to jc, this is ok if the job is near the path line,

Stay away from cottage gate, the builder is bankrupt and completion is in doubt, in addition the homes are strange, on tiny lots directly on RT 36 which is a busy road, you can get much better value for the money elswhere.
Middletown is a 42 mile sq township and some areas are better than others.
If you could afford cottage gate, look into the oak hill section of the town, much nicer area. If you want less expensive, check out atlantic highlands which is next to cottage gate.

Old 06-24-2007, 09:29 PM

244 posts, read 1,050,657 times
I agree, be very careful with Kara homes. There was a huge thing on the local news about bankruptcy and many people losing money.

Middletown is a very nice town. It's huge, very sprawled out. It has many different sections such as Lincroft, Port Monmouth, Leonardo, River Plaza, and so on. It has two high schools, which is rare for the local towns of this area.

For a SAHM with two young children, it will be a great place. I'm in the same type situation as you, and there are many different activities to do for young children in the area. Monmouth County Park System has many very nice parks, and they offer Mommy and Me programs. Gymnastics, karate, dance, whatever you are looking for, they have something to sign up for.

Also, there are local mom's groups you can join. PM me if you need more info on that.

Commuting options for your husband would be bus, train (Middletown has it's own station), or ferry (most expensive).

Old 06-25-2007, 05:11 AM

52 posts, read 205,598 times
Thanks for the replies-
a few more questions...
-how long would hubby's commute take to JC? train,car and ferry?
-what areas would you "stay away" from?
-what about iceskating lessons? I'm Canadian and one of the perks about moving north from GA is that there will be more of that...at least I am assuming so...in Canada skating clubs are all over the place!
-Is there other new construction or newer homes?
Thanks again- we're hopefully heading up there next week so we can actually "see" for ourselves!

Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykatsmom View Post
Thanks for the replies-
a few more questions...
-how long would hubby's commute take to JC? train,car and ferry?
-what areas would you "stay away" from?
-what about iceskating lessons? I'm Canadian and one of the perks about moving north from GA is that there will be more of that...at least I am assuming so...in Canada skating clubs are all over the place!
-Is there other new construction or newer homes?
Thanks again- we're hopefully heading up there next week so we can actually "see" for ourselves!
there's no ferry to JC, figure at least an hour's or more commute by car or train. stay away from anything near keansburg, be cautious abou anything on the wet side of 36.
for ice skating there are rinks in red bank, but he has little for figure skaters there, there;s a rink in wall twp that has a few clubs, old bridge has an out door rink but little figure skating and there's a rink in woodbridge with a little figure skating there.
New construction in middletown on any large scale is just about finished as the area is almost built out. you could find new homes being built but I haven't any suggestions.

Old 06-25-2007, 09:32 AM

244 posts, read 1,050,657 times
Oh that's right! Commuting to Jersey City doesn't have a ferry. I'm thinking your commuting to Manhattan. Sorry for the confusion. I should know this with my dad commuting to Jersey City for the past thirty years!

Old 06-25-2007, 11:49 AM

16 posts, read 69,150 times
Renting at Cottage Gate would be fine--the owner has obviously closed on the house, otherwise he/she wouldn't be renting it. We know someone who bought there and was able to close before the bankruptcy. I drive by the community a few times a week on my way to the beach and it looks like many people have moved in, and it looks pretty complete to me.

The schools are definitely solid as well. It would be a pretty long commute if he drove to JC--probably close to an hour and a half. Train might be the better option.

As for new housing, as someone mentioned there is very little. There is some new housing in the way of lots that have had homes torn down in order to build new, but these obviously wouldn't be in places where everything is new. There are also new townhomes from the 460s or so built by Centex near the Whole Foods on 35.

Last edited by hencoskij; 06-25-2007 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: Added info.

Old 06-25-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16 View Post
Oh that's right! Commuting to Jersey City doesn't have a ferry. I'm thinking your commuting to Manhattan. Sorry for the confusion. I should know this with my dad commuting to Jersey City for the past thirty years!
there are a few ferries in JC that go to NYC, there are none that go to JC from Monmouth county

Old 08-07-2007, 12:24 AM

77 posts, read 318,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
there's no ferry to JC, figure at least an hour's or more commute by car or train. stay away from anything near keansburg, be cautious abou anything on the wet side of 36.
for ice skating there are rinks in red bank, but he has little for figure skaters there, there;s a rink in wall twp that has a few clubs, old bridge has an out door rink but little figure skating and there's a rink in woodbridge with a little figure skating there.
New construction in middletown on any large scale is just about finished as the area is almost built out. you could find new homes being built but I haven't any suggestions.
For a young family, I would definitely take a look at Keansburg. Its a safe town, has a nice bayshore beach, amusement and water park, festivals and parades and fireworks. A friendly town, low taxes and affordable. What ever you do, definitely stay away from some of the trashy areas of Middletown, especially North Middletown. If you don't get the chance to see Keansburg your kids will love it!

Old 08-07-2007, 12:54 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,490 times
Keansburg.....Is that a serious post? LOL
Not that it's the worst in the world or anything but my memory is...
Oh forget it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey