Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM

821 posts, read 2,030,919 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone, Looking for a place to spend the weekend at the end of September with my kids. I just want to have a fun weekend with the kids without having to break the piggy bank Any ideas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 AM

107 posts, read 220,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
Hi Everyone, Looking for a place to spend the weekend at the end of September with my kids. I just want to have a fun weekend with the kids without having to break the piggy bank Any ideas???
Is there a reason you'd not just go to New York City with them?

Old 08-04-2010, 11:20 AM

I'm not big on driving so I'm trying to stay as local as possible.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC JC Mom View Post
I'm not big on driving so I'm trying to stay as local as possible.
You could just take a train or bus into the city and avoid driving altogether.

But if not, it would probably help to say where you're located (I'm guessing Jersey City with your name) and about how much driving you'd be comfortable doing.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:31 AM

I'm in Essex County I'm comfortable with about 1 1/2 hours driving distance. I rarely ever go into the city so being by myself with two kids I really wouldnt feel comfortable with that. But I'm willing to drive within that time frame or so in New Jersey. Thanks.

Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM

5,767 posts, read 16,497,627 times
You could take them "down by the river" along the Delaware River, stop at Lambertville, NJ and New Hope, PA or else maybe go up North towards Vernon and Mountain Creek but not sure if that is open, etc. Take a ride down to New Hope.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Okay so then it depends on what the kids like doing. For North Jersey, which is the area I know best, and keeping your costs way down (some of this stuff is free, some isn't, but the stuff that isn't free that I'm listing is cheap), there are a lot of good hiking areas, so that's an option. There is also good canoeing, some good lakes for swimming, etc.

There are historic sites like Morristown National Historic Park and Ringwood Manor if they're interested in that.

Of course there is no shortage of beaches in the area, too. And some, like Sandy Hook, have other things to see as well (the lighthouse, etc.)

If they like animals, there's an interesting place right near the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge (which is worth a visit, too) called the Raptor Trust--they take care of injured eagles, falcons, hawks, etc., and they're all on display.

For animals, there is also the Bergen County Zoological Park, which is under $10 for adults, even (and half price for Bergen County residents).

If they like art, and I'm going to head out of North Jersey a bit for this for a moment, both Princeton and Rutgers have good art museums that are free (for Princeton) and just a few bucks (for Rutgers). The Bergen Museum of Art & Science in Hackensack is also good, and only $5 for adults, $3 for kids. The Jersey City Museum is the same deal, same price. There are others in the area, too.

The Liberty Science Center in Jersey City is also worth a visit, but more expensive--$15.75 regular admission for adults, more if the kids want to do an IMAX film, too.

Of course, if you're going to spring for the Science Center with an IMAX film, you might as well just spend a couple more bucks and head to Six Flags in Jackson, as you can get tickets for there for just $35 online.

That's just scratching the surface of stuff you could do. It depends on what they're most interested in and how much you want to spend.

I can give you more details on any of this stuff (like detailing hiking areas, suggesting some, etc.--whatever) or give you other choices if you just request it.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:35 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,734,004 times
IMO if you want to keep costs down and really reconnect with your kids with out distraction camping is the best way to go. Your kids will always remember those trips when they look back and it's a great way to get some teamwork and commradere going. If you don't own the equipment and don't want to make the investment ask a friend if you can borrow theirs.

In my area (Ringwood) there are lots family friendly ideas that are cheap, I'm not aware of campsites in town (besides my backyard) but there's tons of parkland so it shouldn't be hard to find a site. For activities you can go to Shepard's Lake in Ringwood State park, there is a little beach and swimming and you can rent kayaks for like $10. You are allowed to BBQ in the park or you can bring a picnic style lunch. There is also a place called highlands natural pool that is pretty good, the swimming is much better there than at Shepards lake for older kids. I think addmission is only $5 per person. There's lots of hiking trails in the area as well and if you like to fish there is tons of lakes stocked with fish, but keep in mind adults need a license (kids under 16 don't). You can also go to a farm and pick fresh fruit late august/early september peaches, nectarines, pears & apples are in season. To give you an idea of cost, we went peach picking last weekend and it was $5 per ticket for the hayride and $8 for a HUUUUUGE bag of peaches that we hand picked. Another great activity up in that direction is the Drive in in Warwick NY, double features $8 per adult, $5 for kids, under 4 is free. They have a concession stand that serves pizza hot dogs popcorn etc but there is also supermarket right next door if you want to save even more.

Old 08-04-2010, 01:15 PM

1,422 posts, read 3,430,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyLaSalle View Post
Is there a reason you'd not just go to New York City with them?
she said she didnt want to break the piggy bank.. There has never been a time when i went to the city and didnt spen less than $200.00.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb8997 View Post
she said she didnt want to break the piggy bank.. There has never been a time when i went to the city and didnt spen less than $200.00.
Wow, that's crazy. I don't know if there's ever been a time when I've gone to the city and spent $200.

There are a ton of free and very cheap things to do in NYC, and you can find cheap food, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey