Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:18 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times

Advertisements

During my junior year of HS walking to school in the morning, there was an elementary girl crossing the street in front of me as a car flew by and struck her. The details are better off untold, though the driver screeched to a halt and came out of the crying to the high heavens like it was her own daughter. I just lost it, waited until I heard sirens, then turned around and went home sick to my stomach in tears. It was extremely tragic and I didn't want to see the ambulance pick her limp body up onto a stretcher. SO many people witnessed it since it was a couple blocks from my school.

Basically, it's disturbing and heartbreaking to see public death whether it's suicide or not. I can't believe people would actual brutally kill themselves in front of so many people- If you're calling it quits for your life, have respect for the other lives around you doing so. I'm not saying I don't have sympathy for people like this either, I'm just disgusted by this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 10:17 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,766,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
My dad is a psychiatrist. He has had patients who was either a subway conductor or bus driver who had someone run in front of their train/bus. It really does mess them up for a long time. The nightmares they have for months. It is not something you can get over quickly. I feel for the person desperate enough to jump in front of a moving train/bus, but is cowardly to make someone else responsible for your death.
It cant mess them up too bad. The average engineer on a train will hit 2-5 people before they retire.

It is very rare that they dont hit someone during their career.

If i was operating a train and hit someone, it really wouldnt bother me. Theres nothing these guys can do about it. You cant stop a train quickly no matter what you do. So if people want to stand on the tracks and kill themselves, its not the train operators fault.

Old 08-08-2010, 12:12 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
I don't think suicide is selfish when a person is suffering from incurable pain or some other terrible medical condition.

I think it is selfish for well bodied people to look down on someone who is suffering horribly and tell them suicide is selfish and then proceed to ply them with empty platitudes.

I think people that are suffering from horrifying medical conditions should be allowed the dignity of choosing physician assisted suicide if they choose to. And...........depression is not a horrifying medical condition. I am talking about things like ALS, paralysis and cancer, etc.

I have an enormous amout of respect and admiration for Dr. Jack Kavorkian. He is THE MOST compassionate Doctor of our times.

The able-bodied have no business forcing the suffering to choose life over a dignified, peaceful death. THAT is truly being SELF CENTERED.

And don't bring God into this decision either, you also have no right to force you religious beliefs on others.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:41 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Morons have no sympathy form me , but a few Rail Fanners shot the a video of the Train hitting the girl or whatever. The Head came off , and the body went under. Blood covered the windshield.
Was that the one in Ramsey?

She wasn't a suicide, from what I heard. She was getting off one train and going to get on another, and she walked across the track when another train was coming.

Suicidal people generally don't think they are being selfish. They think that their families will be better off without them. However, when you use a train as your suicide vehicle, I think you're trying to make a statement. You know you are going to affect hundreds of people that day. I think it's a parting shot to the world that done them wrong or something.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:47 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Was that the one in Ramsey?

She wasn't a suicide, from what I heard. She was getting off one train and going to get on another, and she walked across the track when another train was coming.

Suicidal people generally don't think they are being selfish. They think that their families will be better off without them. However, when you use a train as your suicide vehicle, I think you're trying to make a statement. You know you are going to affect hundreds of people that day. I think it's a parting shot to the world that done them wrong or something.
I think it was the Amtrak one. there were a few videos out , it was pure strangeness that ppl filming that day and the others caught these disturbing incidents. The Acela one was the worst of worst , 130mph and a person standing on the tracks doesn't end well. The head came off , body went under , and got shredded by the Train.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:54 AM

88,562 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
I think it was the Amtrak one. there were a few videos out , it was pure strangeness that ppl filming that day and the others caught these disturbing incidents. The Acela one was the worst of worst , 130mph and a person standing on the tracks doesn't end well. The head came off , body went under , and got shredded by the Train.
Well, at least the death was probably almost instant. Head comes off, there's no more brain to register pain from the nervous system.

My sister was working as an ER nurse when they brought in a suicide from the train once. They were carrying four garbage bags and asked if a doctor needed to examine the remains and declare the person dead or if they could just bring the parts directly to the morgue.

Old 08-08-2010, 08:58 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Well, at least the death was probably almost instant. Head comes off, there's no more brain to register pain from the nervous system.

My sister was working as an ER nurse when they brought in a suicide from the train once. They were carrying four garbage bags and asked if a doctor needed to examine the remains and declare the person dead or if they could just bring the parts directly to the morgue.
Probably instant , but its annoying. PPL should seek help or commit suicide without making statements or offing themselves with "pride". It causes massive delays , you have to clean the train and tracks and inspect the wires......it takes hrs and affects 10000s of commuters.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,406,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
NJ Transit trains strike, kill 3 people in 3 days | dailyrecord.com | Daily Record

Texting & wearing headphone....I guess not paying attention

As far as the two that appear to be suicides..ok I know I'm going to get slammed for this but... why screw up some one else's life....the poor engineer who has to live with this...the passsengers??? The people who have to clean it up....
go home & swallow a bottle of pills or something if you're that determined.....I know someone has to be at their wits end to commit suicide and I do feel for them but why do they sometimes drag innocent strangers into it....
the way you say clean it up sounds nasty lol.

but i agree i hate when suicidal people think its cool to commit suicide on a train or jump off a building. they effect a lot of people when doing this smh.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Morons have no sympathy form me , but a few Rail Fanners shot the a video of the Train hitting the girl or whatever. The Head came off , and the body went under. Blood covered the windshield.
where can i see this video?

Old 08-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Quote:

what in the world 4 garbage bags, damn trains are killers makes you wonder how some lucky people survive them lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey