Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 06:30 PM

5 posts, read 7,752 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone !
Well , I'm Saudi person and I'll be thankful if you help me.
I just sent my papers to Rutgers university in Newark city.
but there's something makes me worried , after I searched about this city . I read that's so dangerous and not safe one specially after the sunset.
So, would you tell me , how's life over there ? and is what I've heared true?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 06:36 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zooba View Post
Hello everyone !
Well , I'm Saudi person and I'll be thankful if you help me.
I just sent my papers to Rutgers university in Newark city.
but there's something makes me worried , after I searched about this city . I read that's so dangerous and not safe one specially after the sunset.
So, would you tell me , how's life over there ? and is what I've heared true?

There are plenty of nice places to live that are close to Newark.

The two most important questions:

How much are you willing to spend on rent ?
Are you willing/able to drive to school ?

Old 08-08-2010, 06:41 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
You can live in University Heights , or depending on your budget you live in Hoboken or Downtown Jersey City.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:47 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,635 times
It would be a good idea to NOT be in Newark after sunset, even in the University Heights section. I've been told by family and friends that I should not stay there past 5pm...and they know what they're talking about! I work for Rutgers Newark and I try to leave before sunset; the latest I've ever stayed there was 6pm.

In the daytime, however, it's not bad at all! Walked around the RU campus and down Market St. and Broad St. a couple of times and have NEVER had a issue! However, I do this in the early/mid afternoon.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:49 PM

alfredo ..

Look dear about the rent i know it's expensive city , don't worry about this point.
and yeah am able to drive to school, but what about if am not , weren't there buses ?

\

nexis.. thank you man

Old 08-08-2010, 06:52 PM

oh i gotcha , you can live in Downtown Jersey City or Hoboken and use the Train to go to school. There are decent priced apartments and its a safe city. You also have 24/4 Access to NYC via the PATH Trains.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:59 PM

stressed college girl..

OKeeeeeeeey !! Got it sweety
and that's good thing to see one of Rutgers wrokers.
SO, as i understand from you , that's you advice me to go to RU but not to live in Newark
I can't imagen what will happen if I walk after the sunset ,if I'm peaceful one !!
Anyway , thank you honey !

Old 08-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Nexis .. will think about it , am so thankful for your help )) that's kind of you !

ok would you tell me how much living over there almost cost ?!
and i won't be alone , me and my roommate so we need two rooms .

Old 08-08-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooba View Post
Nexis .. will think about it , am so thankful for your help )) that's kind of you !

ok would you tell me how much living over there almost cost ?!
and i won't be alone , me and my roommate so we need two rooms .
I don't think you'll need to rooms , that will be expensive. 1 Bedroom is enough and a pull out couch enough. 1 Bedroom Apartment starts at 1500$ a month in Jersey City Heights , 1700-1900$ a month in Downtown Jersey City.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Most areas east of MLK BLVD is decent- Forest Hill/Mt Prospect is a nice area, My Prospect has a lot of nice high rises that tend to be pretty affordable. Ironbound is a decemt, thriving area of the city- There's lots to do and see arounf that area specifically. The Business district/University heights areas are not too shabby either.

Pretty much anything west of MLK Blvd is a no go.
You can look into Bloomfield, Belleville, Kearny, Parts of Elizabeth and chunks of Jersey City (which is probably better for Saudi's)

Everything depends on your budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey