Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 07:01 PM

2 posts, read 5,206 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, I'm moving out to North Arlington for a Job and am very interested in what everyone has said and has to say about the area in and around there.

First off, I'm young, but not totally huge on the drinking scene, i'm more into reading a book then going out, lame but it is what it is...

Second I'd like to spend no more than 800 on rent a month for a single bd apartment, with decent parking available, and a fairly short commute to North Arlington. I have my own car, and I would like your opinion on areas that are quiet, with low crime were this can be accomplished.

I have a general idea of where I would like to live but I doubt my budget can handle it. Initially I have just come across Hoboken(in case my inner drunk comes out) , Rutherford, Lyndhurst, and Montclair. I would love your opinion on these cities as well as any other cities that would be nice(r) that I could accomplish my budgetary goals as well as keep a decent standard of living outside of my apartment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 07:59 PM

2,256 posts, read 6,942,245 times
You could live in someone's closet in Hoboken for $800 lol

Rutherford and Lyndhurst you may be able to find something for $800 a month...more so Rutherford than Lyndhurst. Take a look at craigslist.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:19 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,738,667 times
you either need to raise your budget or get roommates.

Your only gonna find rent that cheap in the area if you live in a bad area.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:27 PM

455 posts, read 665,449 times
Forget Montclair in that price range. Pretty much forget anything in Northern NJ that would be liveable in that price range, unless it was a single room. I'd say get a roommate or up your budget. My daughter rented in North Arlington, in a unit in the back of some garages, for $1200 a month plus utilities. (At least there was plenty of parking!)
On the plus side, the North Arlington area is very convenient to everything.. including mass transit to NYC. And lots of good food. Good luck with your move!

Old 08-11-2010, 02:14 PM

11 posts, read 21,849 times
Good luck with your move, I neighbor NA. Its not a bad area although I don't usually frequent it except for Ridge Rd. Pretty close to transportation and far enough from Newark/Harrison. Lots of shops along Ridge Rd to read your books also.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:16 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,741,716 times
North Arlington is a nice enough area, your budget is pretty tight but you may be able to find something. Lyndhurst and Rutherford are nice too, again you have a small but exsistent chance of finding a one bedroom or studio in that range. I'm thinking probably something right on ridge road above a shop or something might work.

Kearny is probably a little more affordable, not quite as nice but if your the mind your own business type you should be okay.

Forget Hoboken on your budget, just visit when the mood strikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey