Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 01:26 AM

1,316 posts, read 2,464,872 times

Advertisements

I am originally from the TR area and have not lived in NJ for about 7 years but I will confirm the rumor to be true. TR North HS has always had a drug problem. My niece was suppose to go TR North HS and she has heard the same thing through her circle of friends when she was in middle school. As far as other schools in Toms River, TR South would also be an area to avoid but the other parts of TR do have some excellent elementary and middle schools. TR East always seemed to have the best rep of all. If you want you could check GreatSchools.net and you could check test scores and parent's comments on TR schools. Maybe that will help. I will say this though, my son is going into HS this September and his HS is ranked in the top 10 in the nation and yet there are drug issues. I even know of elite private schools that have drug problems so I guess to some degree, it's unavoidable. I think TR is a great place to raise a family. The beaches are not far and TR has a wonderful public pool in Snug Harbor. I have made so many wonderful friends there as well. If you could afford the taxes (all of NJ is high), it's a great choice. Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 11:04 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojo7 View Post
I will say this though, my son is going into HS this September and his HS is ranked in the top 10 in the nation and yet there are drug issues.
Top ten in the nation, that is impressive. What school is he going to?

Old 07-02-2007, 06:28 PM

37 posts, read 54,979 times
I think you better visit South tomsriver first, I doubt you'll wanna live there, not in the south part!

Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 PM

13 posts, read 54,278 times
I lived in Toms River for 5 years. I liked it a lot. For a 4 bedroom house thats nice you will be spending $350k+. Crime (excluding south Toms River) is minimal. My wife and I sold a tiny 850 square foot home in a community called South Winds II for $198k last year. Taxes on it were approximately $2100.

Old 07-02-2007, 08:14 PM

Default Replying to Stone28

I moved from NJ to Washington State and we live in Bellevue WA. News Week runs an article yearly, usually in the summer, and lists the top 100 high schools in the nation. Bellevue High School is always on the list and one year they made the top ten.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:28 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,696,707 times
Default zip codes

Thanks again! So what zips should i avoid? And is 08753 a good zip code in Toms River? We have heard that Toms River south is the area to avoid, but i dont know the zip of that area.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:42 PM

37 posts, read 54,979 times
I sent you the 08753 zip code, it is the area around the Mall. I have some friends in the 'Indian hill road' section behind mall, that is a very nice area!

Old 07-03-2007, 09:02 PM

741 posts, read 3,510,873 times
No one has mentioned the cancer cluster in Toms River. Here is two of many links for the ground water pollution. All you need to do is google Toms River cancer cluster and most of the info you will definetly want to read will be there. Lieff Cabraser: Toms River Childhood Cancer Cluster Case Dover Township I love living in this area, I live in Brick which border's Toms River, I live near the Silverton section of Toms River. Homes are a real bargain here now. I'm selling a beautiful 4 bedroom house on a corner property down the street from the bay with a 2 car garage for way under $350k. You could also get a really nice ranch home here for around $300-325 also. The same house's have been for sale now over a year. And they are nice house's. This area is definetly worth the look. Just be sure to read up on the Toms River water problem.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:23 PM

770 posts, read 3,680,813 times
Jackson, NJ is right down the street from Toms River and I found that town to be nice. It has great schools, safe, clean and a little less traffic then Toms River.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:21 PM

Default Reply to Patty NJ

Patty NJ is absolutely right. I completely forgot about that cancer cluster going on in Toms River. My brother moved out and I know his area was one of the areas of concern. His zip code was 08755 and he lived in the west part of Toms River. Definitely find out before you purchase!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey