Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 12:59 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Can anybody tell me if all of Toms River is a good place to raise a family? And what do single family homes average in price? Like a 3-4 bed 2 bath with a basement.

Also what do the property taxes average in that area? Or even areas within 20 mins from there, yet safe good areas to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 01:12 PM

445 posts, read 1,983,952 times
From what i know,northern toms river is better than south toms river. A 4 bedroom house with a basement will probably start around $250k maybe a little cheaper if it requires some work. A tax bill for a house of 250k will probably run you around $3500/year. I know a really good real estate website that has the tax information for the houses they list. Send me a message and i can tell you more info. I dont think i can post links here.All in all, Ocean county is a very nice place to live. It is very expensive to live in NJ though but if you are going to buy, its a buyers market.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:34 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,897,111 times
Most areas of Toms River are nice. Just by riding through neighborhoods you get a feel from block to block how people maintain their homes. Toms River is still less expensive than Northern NJ but if you can wait I would say hold out 6 more weeks and prices will drop again. NOTHING seems to be selling. I see the same For Sale signs still up around town. The homes in the area of the Toms River North High School are bigger, newer and therefore more expensive. East Toms River you can get waterfront property at a decent price but the taxes and flood insurance will be higher. I agree that I would stay away from South Toms River. I would say a nice 4 bedroom would be in the $350 range. All of Toms River is being re-assessed this year.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:20 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
For a town with size and population of Toms River things are pretty quiet around here. I moved here 5 years ago from north Jersey and like it alot. I live in east Toms River right on the Barneget Bay. I see what hrjersey means by "seeing the same for sale signs up". Where I am quite of few of these propertys are second homes and theres a higher than average turnover rate. The reason is people buy them and for first two or three years there down here all the time then the novelty wears off and the for sale sign goes up.

Waterfront property is not for everyone. It can get down right scary at times when the wind is howling and the water is crashing over your bulkhead. There are times when you have to board up the windows. But for every negative there is a positive. Some of the best things are looking out your window and watching sailboats go by. Hearing the seagulls interact with each other. The sunrise and sunsets. Even fog can be fascinating.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on...lol....My home built in 1966 on a 90 wide 125 deep, with 4 bedrooms and four bathrooms (all with only showers, no tubs) property taxs are 7400. I am also in the process of adding a 100 foot dock. I have to pay the tidelands comission 800 a year for use of it. But I dont pay any extra for flood insurance my insurance bill is around 1000. BTW, I haven't had any problem with flooding.

Good luck, with a newly expanded county library all the shopping you could want at your finger tips, the beach, sailing schools and much more. I'm sure you'll find Toms River a great place to raise a family.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:34 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
For a town with size and population of Toms River things are pretty quiet around here. I moved here 5 years ago from north Jersey and like it alot. I live in east Toms River right on the Barneget Bay. I see what hrjersey means by "seeing the same for sale signs up". Where I am quite of few of these propertys are second homes and theres a higher than average turnover rate. The reason is people buy them and for first two or three years there down here all the time then the novelty wears off and the for sale sign goes up.

Waterfront property is not for everyone. It can get down right scary at times when the wind is howling and the water is crashing over your bulkhead. There are times when you have to board up the windows. But for every negative there is a positive. Some of the best things are looking out your window and watching sailboats go by. Hearing the seagulls interact with each other. The sunrise and sunsets. Even fog can be fascinating.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on...lol....My home built in 1966 on a 90 wide 125 deep, with 4 bedrooms and four bathrooms (all with only showers, no tubs) property taxs are 7400. I am also in the process of adding a 100 foot dock. I have to pay the tidelands comission 800 a year for use of it. But I dont pay any extra for flood insurance my insurance bill is around 1000. BTW, I haven't had any problem with flooding.

Good luck, with a newly expanded county library all the shopping you could want at your finger tips, the beach, sailing schools and much more. I'm sure you'll find Toms River a great place to raise a family.
the biggest negative to the toms river area is that the infrastructure has not grown with the population, the roads are crowded and inadequate for the level of cars now using them, the stores are crowded, water and sewer systems are streched to the max.
if you can deal with the growth the area is fine, but personally I don't care for being stuck in a jam everytime I need to get a loaf of bread.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:23 AM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
the biggest negative to the toms river area is that the infrastructure has not grown with the population, the roads are crowded and inadequate for the level of cars now using them, the stores are crowded, water and sewer systems are streched to the max.
if you can deal with the growth the area is fine, but personally I don't care for being stuck in a jam everytime I need to get a loaf of bread.
I do agree during peek time your going to have to deal with extra volume like you would anywhere else. But on average, for example right now at 11:25 am I dont see myself getting caight in a traffic jam going to the supermarket. The same would apply to all shopping in general.

When I first moved here, I made a trip to the downtown post office on a Saturday afternoon. The trip is only about 6 or 7 miles round trip but it took me about an hour. My point is that after a while you learn by trial and error the little short cuts and do's and donts of travel time around here.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:50 AM

Default Schools & Hospitals

Thank You to all for the info! We are still looking into the possibility of moving from Nevada to the Toms River area.

Few more questions- Are the hospitals in the Toms River area rated well? I ask because out here in Vegas the medical care is not good at all.

Are all of the schools in Toms River known to be good? Safe? Good grades?

Also how is the area or town of Jackson when compared to Toms River? Any better for the buck? nicer place to live? Same?

Add any other info you wish that may help us out.

Thanks

Old 07-01-2007, 10:05 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Thank You to all for the info! We are still looking into the possibility of moving from Nevada to the Toms River area.

Few more questions- Are the hospitals in the Toms River area rated well? I ask because out here in Vegas the medical care is not good at all.

Are all of the schools in Toms River known to be good? Safe? Good grades?

Also how is the area or town of Jackson when compared to Toms River? Any better for the buck? nicer place to live? Same?

Add any other info you wish that may help us out.

Thanks
the hospitals around tom's river could only be looked at as being barely adequate, for anything serious you need to travel to neptune, about 30 or so miles away.
Jackson is a newer, growing area, 12 years ago it was nothing but pine forests and the people who were there known as piney's, you can fill in the rest, now the place has grown by the thousands and it's an ok place to live provided you don't mind being a bit out of the way. Depending on where you'll need to commute to would be a big deciding factor on choosing between the 2 places

Old 07-01-2007, 04:13 PM

8 posts, read 79,086 times
Default Toms River schools

I lived in a nearby town -- Lacey, as I'll mention in another thread -- and as of a few years ago, Toms River schools were having issues. There are intense rivalries between the schools.. Toms River East, North, and South. They have demographic differences. North is the one with the wealthier kids and also the one with the drug reputation. I also knew of a gay young woman who entered my school system in 2000 because of violence against her and her girlfriend at her TR high school.

Someone else, feel free to clarify on the schools' drug rap. I don't want to be unfair. I just may have never heard of the better things about the schools.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:04 AM

Default Homes dropping? Taking low offers?

Thanks again for the replies- very kind and helpful!

So would you say that its true or very possible that the homes I see on realtor.com asking 350,000-380,000 might drop that asking price by a lot just to move since its a buyers market? Is it true what I heard that many people are leaving in droves and will accept 50 -60 grand off the original asking price?

All I seem to read & hear is that people are leaving NJ and heading south.

Thanks

( Anybody want to sell me a 3-4 bed 2 bath home with a basement in a nice part of Toms River for 300,000? Ha ) Hey you never know, might work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey