Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:35 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,437,670 times

Advertisements

puiblic libraries, as well as public schools, help our society educate it's population. if the most conservative people i know support the library system.

where i think you're right though is, they seem to be continously declining in use, but becoming larger expenses. so it may very well be a waste of taxpayer $ at this point (not everywhere, but many places).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2010, 02:40 PM

334 posts, read 732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
Same thing happening in Trenton, Queens, etc. Camden almost shut its entire library system down for good. It's nothing new. They can go to college libraries or other libraries in neighboring towns.
College libraries you have to be a student/faculy member. Local libraries are moving to a system that you have to be registered as a resident of that town to use the library computers.

Old 08-11-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
College libraries you have to be a student/faculy member. Local libraries are moving to a system that you have to be registered as a resident of that town to use the library computers.
i thought you had to be a resident to get a library card? you don't need a library card to use the computers? i don't really remember, it's been so long. i'm thinking of starting to use my town's library though.

Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 PM

334 posts, read 732,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i thought you had to be a resident to get a library card? you don't need a library card to use the computers? i don't really remember, it's been so long. i'm thinking of starting to use my town's library though.
Some towns you don't necessarily need a library card because I guess they recognize that many of the younger consituents go there for the technology and staff delivered services, not necessarily the cover bound books.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:04 PM

431 posts, read 943,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
libraries are a waste of taxpayer dollars. the working taxpayer has no obligation to provide computers to people that cant afford them.

if a private group wants to fund them then of course i have no problem with that. good luck finding someone to fund something of such little value to the public.

its cheaper to give everyone a free computer with internet then to fund a library.. Libraries are old and uneeded as information in the books are already stale and old when the latest and greatest is right at your fingertips. If you want you can fund public Kiosks and quiet study areas but to have a place where books from 1955 are kept as research material is a waste of money, paper and space.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:08 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,998,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
its cheaper to give everyone a free computer with internet then to fund a library.. Libraries are old and uneeded as information in the books are already stale and old when the latest and greatest is right at your fingertips. If you want you can fund public Kiosks and quiet study areas but to have a place where books from 1955 are kept as research material is a waste of money, paper and space.
If space is the issue...then digital libraries is one practical way to get rid of the physical space of books. However, that can get costly in terms of the time it takes to converting works from print to digital form. There will always be older works in print form for this reason. As for having the "latest and greatest information is at your fingertips," you better make sure that you have the RIGHT information! The one huge issue on presenting information online is whether or not that information can be considered 100% credible. Misinformation and disinformation are also big issues as well.

Evaluating Internet Information (http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp/general/evaluating/ - broken link)

Just because information is "old" doesn't mean it's outdated and useless. Albert Einstein's research is certainly old, but the e=(mc)^2 is darn right useful for physicists today! Old works are important, especially when researching the history on particular subjects. When you get rid of old works completely, you take a way a piece of history.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:14 PM

431 posts, read 943,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post
If space is the issue...then digital libraries is one practical way to get rid of the physical space of books. However, that can get costly in terms of the time it takes to converting works from print to digital form. There will always be older works in print form for this reason. As for having the "latest and greatest information is at your fingertips," you better make sure that you have the RIGHT information! The one huge issue on presenting information online is whether or not that information can be considered 100% credible. Misinformation and disinformation are also big issues as well.

Evaluating Internet Information (http://www.library.jhu.edu/researchhelp/general/evaluating/ - broken link)

Just because information is "old" doesn't mean it's outdated and useless. Albert Einstein's research is certainly old, but the e=(mc)^2 is darn right useful for physicists today! Old works are important, especially when researching the history on particular subjects. When you get rid of old works completely, you take a way a piece of history.
No wikipedia isn't a source, but most colleges have online libraries for example:NJIT: Library: NJIT library journals

Otherwise you can look up the current president in most encyclopedias in the US libraries and they say George Bush or maybe clinton

Old 08-12-2010, 12:18 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,998,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post
No wikipedia isn't a source, but most colleges have online libraries for example:NJIT: Library: NJIT library journals

Otherwise you can look up the current president in most encyclopedias in the US libraries and they say George Bush or maybe clinton
You will need to have some kind of affiliation w/ some colleges (student/faculty/staff) to be able to login and have access to "free" scholarly material: ex. Rutgers University.

Old 08-12-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon-Hate View Post
Some towns you don't necessarily need a library card because I guess they recognize that many of the younger consituents go there for the technology and staff delivered services, not necessarily the cover bound books.
true true. i forgot about just dropping in to look at local newspapers and do research and such...

Old 08-12-2010, 08:40 AM

342 posts, read 717,866 times
Boy do I hate the library bashing. I believe the small amount of taxes used to fund libraries are one of the best investments made. First of all, usage is not down. My library (Warren County) has had a 10% increase each year for the past 2 years. An interesting web sight is www.savemynjlibrary.org

Take a look - everyday 300,000 Americans use libraries for job help is just one of the benefits listed.

There are 1.4 billion U.S. library visits per year is another.

My library has a summer reading program for kids - everytime I'm in there it's mobbed with kids that are involved with this - I love seeing it because I believe the basis of democracy is an educated public. This program and many others like it are free (they hire no extra librarians to run this or other programs like it) - they are often assisted with volunteers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey