Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-12-2010, 08:55 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,546 posts, read 21,459,289 times
Reputation: 3730

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
Boy do I hate the library bashing. I believe the small amount of taxes used to fund libraries are one of the best investments made. First of all, usage is not down. My library (Warren County) has had a 10% increase each year for the past 2 years. An interesting web sight is www.savemynjlibrary.org

Take a look - everyday 300,000 Americans use libraries for job help is just one of the benefits listed.

There are 1.4 billion U.S. library visits per year is another.

My library has a summer reading program for kids - everytime I'm in there it's mobbed with kids that are involved with this - I love seeing it because I believe the basis of democracy is an educated public. This program and many others like it are free (they hire no extra librarians to run this or other programs like it) - they are often assisted with volunteers.
good to see that usage isn't down. it just seems down to me i guess. i never hear of anyone going to the library anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2010, 01:06 PM
 
Location: NJ
31,771 posts, read 40,851,831 times
Reputation: 24591
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
Boy do I hate the library bashing. I believe the small amount of taxes used to fund libraries are one of the best investments made. First of all, usage is not down. My library (Warren County) has had a 10% increase each year for the past 2 years. An interesting web sight is www.savemynjlibrary.org

Take a look - everyday 300,000 Americans use libraries for job help is just one of the benefits listed.

There are 1.4 billion U.S. library visits per year is another.

My library has a summer reading program for kids - everytime I'm in there it's mobbed with kids that are involved with this - I love seeing it because I believe the basis of democracy is an educated public. This program and many others like it are free (they hire no extra librarians to run this or other programs like it) - they are often assisted with volunteers.
i find it funny that government programs that offer taxpayer funded goods and services are judged by "usage." as if its a good thing that more people are wasting the money of people who actually work for a living.

i dont see increased usage of public libraries as a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 01:12 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
2,653 posts, read 5,976,075 times
Reputation: 2331
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainnj View Post
i find it funny that government programs that offer taxpayer funded goods and services are judged by "usage." as if its a good thing that more people are wasting the money of people who actually work for a living.

I dont see increased usage of public libraries as a good thing.
*smh*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 01:19 PM
 
Location: NJ
31,771 posts, read 40,851,831 times
Reputation: 24591
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
puiblic libraries, as well as public schools, help our society educate it's population. if the most conservative people i know support the library system.
seriously, we all went through school by now right? would you be any less educated without the library? i went there occasionally so i could get sources to cite for some papers. now, you can do that on the internet. it has no value to educate people.

it seems that in todays world, its like a free internet cafe. do patrons get free coffee and donuts on the taxpayer dime as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 01:46 PM
 
344 posts, read 718,542 times
Reputation: 576
Seriously, do you never read books? Last time I looked, books were very educational.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 01:49 PM
 
Location: NJ
31,771 posts, read 40,851,831 times
Reputation: 24591
Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
Seriously, do you never read books? Last time I looked, books were very educational.
what books have you read that educated you a great deal? where did you get the book?

are you suggesting if you close the libraries, i wont be able to find books to read anymore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 01:58 PM
 
Location: North Carolina
572 posts, read 1,614,301 times
Reputation: 496
Libraries are obsolete just like typewriters. There isn't anything in a library that can't be found online for free. Most coffee shops and cafes offer free internet service and a basic lap top computer can by bought brand new for around $200. Anyone living below the poverty line can qualify for economic asistance so even poor people can buy a lap top.

If libraries were economically viable entities then private companies would open them up, but they aren't economically viable and the government needs to quit propping them up with tax money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 02:02 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,380 posts, read 26,918,110 times
Reputation: 4583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Libraries are obsolete just like typewriters. There isn't anything in a library that can't be found online for free. Most coffee shops and cafes offer free internet service and a basic lap top computer can by bought brand new for around $200. Anyone living below the poverty line can qualify for economic asistance so even poor people can buy a lap top.

If libraries were economically viable entities then private companies would open them up, but they aren't economically viable and the government needs to quit propping them up with tax money.
A laptop for 200? Never heard they start in the 500s..... Libraries are still used for Research , general Reading , etc. Poor ppl don't buy laptops , i have lots of poor friends none of them have laptops they do have cell phones. libraries are still used more then most ppl think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 03:22 PM
 
344 posts, read 718,542 times
Reputation: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what books have you read that educated you a great deal? where did you get the book?

are you suggesting if you close the libraries, i wont be able to find books to read anymore?
Sure, you can still find books to read - but you'll pay for them (which many people can't afford to do). I take enough books out of the library in a year to make me more than happy to pay the small amount of my property taxes that fund the library - sorry for you if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2010, 03:49 PM
 
76 posts, read 243,495 times
Reputation: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
very inspirational to see people take action to force other people to pay for services with no real value. let the public library charge users fees to support itself, see how valuable it really is to them.
I agree with you in principle (that services should be supported by fees), at least the libraries provide some useful service to a lot of people--in contrast to "services" like the police, which do no good at all.

So I'd rank the libraries farther down the list of programs to be cut, well below really inefficient programs like education or unnecessary ones like a lot of "social services."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:10 PM.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top