U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:21 PM

9 posts, read 60,328 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering a move the Egg Harbor Township area to be near our adult children. I have a job offer--husband is retired-- but am wondering what it is like to live there. Moving from coastal South Carolina. Do not mind winter but am wondering how friendly people are and what it is like. Easy to live or hateful? It is expensive to live here so am not too worried about change in cost of living.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM

379 posts, read 471,225 times
I live in the area and I'll say this: EHT is very suburban and is growing very quickly. The town added 10,000 new residents in just 4 years. So expect trees coming down and developments going in. The town is pretty built out as it is, with many shopping areas along Route 322 and 40. So it really depends on what you like. Its very close to Atlantic City and the shore, good or bad depending on your perception of AC.

Old 08-12-2010, 12:37 PM

Would you recommend a different area? My job offer is in Mays Landing. Our sons live in Margate and Brigantine. They say traffic is a beep there! I do not want to be caught in a commuters nightmare so looking close to Mays Landing. AC is not my thing but I am not offended by it. Just don't want to live in it. What about utilities? How bad can that get in winter?

Old 08-12-2010, 12:58 PM

379 posts, read 471,225 times
Mays Landing itself is a really nice town. It really depends on what you like- suburban with no downtown but easy access to shopping (EHT), or small towns (Mays Landing) or semi rural (Galloway), and how far you are willing to travel.

Mays Landing- nice little downtown, not too crowded. Furthest from the shore.

Ocean City- great, family friendly shore town. Heavy traffic in summer, other 9 months, no traffic. Dry town.

Galloway Township- growing town but not as bad as EHT. Stockton College is here.

If you have gas heat, it won't be too bad here. I pay $110 a month for 1000 sq. ft with gas. Winters in South Jersey are definitely worse than SC, but not too bad.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:17 PM

8,760 posts, read 15,563,742 times
There are a considerable amount of green head and black flies in Little Egg Harbor, which can make outdoor living when there is no breeze quite miserable.

Old 08-12-2010, 03:12 PM

41,888 posts, read 28,509,648 times
Little Egg Harbor is not in Egg Harbor Twp, but farther north up the Parkway. Traffic in all the shore towns is awful in the summer, but the other 9 1/2 months it's a breeze. Both are pretty peaceful in the winter. Egg Harbor Twp is very unlike the shore towns, so it really just depends what kind of area you're looking for. EHT is very suburban. The problem is going to be, if you actually want to visit your kids in summer you'll be in awful traffic because you'll be coming from the Mainland to the shore, so why not just live closer?

Old 08-15-2010, 03:44 AM

Thought about that but the commute every day bothers me the most. Mays Landing is where my office will be--5 days a week. Mays Landing does sound nice. We like small towns with a Main Street where you can park and walk to shop. Like big-box stores as well so do not want to be too far away.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:46 AM

Grew up and lived good bit og life in Atlanta so used to the suburban thing not sure I want that at my age. Maybe Mays Landing would be good place to look

Old 08-15-2010, 12:26 PM

1,533 posts, read 4,082,080 times
Default EHT is a go~

I have family in EHT. They're on an acre of land surrounded by woods, yet 5 minutes from the Somers Point Circle. They love it there.

If you're communting to Mays Landing, look in the section of EHT south of US40. Bargaintown could work very well for you. If you want "rural", look along Somers Point - Mays Landing Road. The development there is more limited due to wetlands regulations. Even during the summer, traffic tends to be moderate at worst.

You mention that you have family in Brigantine and Margate, so I assume you want to be somewhat close. Hence, I would not recommend looking west of Mays Landing. Northest towards Absecon may work for you, but given your situation I'd prefer to stay southeast in EHT.

Most winters are quite mild. Last winter was an exception.

Hateful? No way! Coming from South Carolina, you'll feel right at home in deep South Jersey.

Old 08-15-2010, 03:02 PM

41,888 posts, read 28,509,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrules View Post
Thought about that but the commute every day bothers me the most. Mays Landing is where my office will be--5 days a week. Mays Landing does sound nice. We like small towns with a Main Street where you can park and walk to shop. Like big-box stores as well so do not want to be too far away.
Then I would look at Mays Landing itself. EHT is exactly what you don't want, traffic on a daily basis, no real downtown, not walker friendly and lots of big box stores.

I actually think Margate or even Ocean City would not be bad commutes and both are ideal walking/shopping towns. You will only encounter traffic Friday nights and only Friday nights for 2 months of the year. Once you learn all the back ways to get around down here, of which there are many, you will find it's not nearly as bad as you think. The drive between OC and Mays Landing, which I make a lot, is actually quite enjoyable on 559.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-15-2010 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey