Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 06:21 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

It was a different world in the 60s and very early 70s. I used to walk through 2 miles of Woodbridge with a shotgun on my arm to get to the Edison border where hunting was permitted. Officer Pat Devlin was a rifle team instructor at the time and we bumped into him quite often on our trek. Sometime he would give us a ride home at night. On occassion a rookie would hassle us to no affect. Target practice in the claybanks was illegal but 'allowed' on an individual basis.

A certain bartender now deceased would hunt pheasants in a restrictted township with full knowledge of the locals.

Rode my bike several times from Fords to Milltown to hunt woodchucks with my bow.

Drove to high school with cased guns in the trunk so we could hunt right after school.

Used to take bow and arrows on the school bus on days when we would have archery team practice at JFK.

I had a pet raccoon I got from the Humane society/SPCA/Animal pound? located on Talmadge rd in Edison. Told two game wardens about it, the cops knew it, the Animal control officer knew it. The vet knew it. He lived with us for 11 years before he suddenly died.

Rail season began every Sept 1st and we used that as an excuse to run out to Crab Island and have a go at them. Diver ducks off Perth Amboy beach was a blast.

The 1959 boyscout manual has about 10 pages of ads for firearms, hatchetts and bows. i remember going to a cub scout skit at church with a 22 rifle as a prop. Left the bolt at home. Everybody in the play bought a real gun from home.

What was it 1973 that was the pivot year in the gun world?

It was a different world where lattitude was allowed if not by law then by trust. We can never go back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 09:17 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
It was a different world in the 60s and very early 70s. I used to walk through 2 miles of Woodbridge with a shotgun on my arm to get to the Edison border where hunting was permitted. Officer Pat Devlin was a rifle team instructor at the time and we bumped into him quite often on our trek. Sometime he would give us a ride home at night. On occassion a rookie would hassle us to no affect. Target practice in the claybanks was illegal but 'allowed' on an individual basis.

A certain bartender now deceased would hunt pheasants in a restrictted township with full knowledge of the locals.

Rode my bike several times from Fords to Milltown to hunt woodchucks with my bow.

Drove to high school with cased guns in the trunk so we could hunt right after school.

Used to take bow and arrows on the school bus on days when we would have archery team practice at JFK.

I had a pet raccoon I got from the Humane society/SPCA/Animal pound? located on Talmadge rd in Edison. Told two game wardens about it, the cops knew it, the Animal control officer knew it. The vet knew it. He lived with us for 11 years before he suddenly died.

Rail season began every Sept 1st and we used that as an excuse to run out to Crab Island and have a go at them. Diver ducks off Perth Amboy beach was a blast.

The 1959 boyscout manual has about 10 pages of ads for firearms, hatchetts and bows. i remember going to a cub scout skit at church with a 22 rifle as a prop. Left the bolt at home. Everybody in the play bought a real gun from home.

What was it 1973 that was the pivot year in the gun world?

It was a different world where lattitude was allowed if not by law then by trust. We can never go back.
I graduated high school in 1969. Kids in Cherry Hill would take off school for the first day of hunting season. Nothing was thought about it. The gun laws were definitely tightened in the 70s & the big crack-down came later. It was a hop, skip, & jump to the pines, back then Back then, Cherry Hill still had lots of farms & orchards.

You're right, it was a totally different world that is gone.

Regardless, I was amazed to see rifles in the back windows of the trucks on that trip into the pines. It might have been '90 or '91, but it was close to where we saw the signs for some type of a gun establishment. Is/was there a gun club in the Pines? I just don't remember what the place was. This was shortly before the big crack-down on guns, so depending on when that occurred, it could have been as early as '89.

The Pineys who would come to the store in Burlington Twp. in the 80s never had weapons with them. It was strictly business. I can remember seeing them in certain places in Cherry Hill in the '60s.

Old 08-14-2010, 11:56 AM

207 posts, read 452,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I graduated high school in 1969. Kids in Cherry Hill would take off school for the first day of hunting season. Nothing was thought about it. The gun laws were definitely tightened in the 70s & the big crack-down came later. It was a hop, skip, & jump to the pines, back then Back then, Cherry Hill still had lots of farms & orchards.

Regardless, I was amazed to see rifles in the back windows of the trucks on that trip into the pines. It might have been '90 or '91, but it was close to where we saw the signs for some type of a gun establishment. Is/was there a gun club in the Pines? I just don't remember what the place was. This was shortly before the big crack-down on guns, so depending on when that occurred, it could have been as early as '89.

The Pineys who would come to the store in Burlington Twp. in the 80s never had weapons with them. It was strictly business. I can remember seeing them in certain places in Cherry Hill in the '60s.
I am from FL and I am finding out just how different the north east is. I just moved to CT in march. growing up I used to go hunting all the time and even in to the 90's my dad had a gun rack in his back window during hunting season. You can still see them in rural areas there.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbam View Post
I am from FL and I am finding out just how different the north east is. I just moved to CT in march. growing up I used to go hunting all the time and even in to the 90's my dad had a gun rack in his back window during hunting season. You can still see them in rural areas there.
You have to understand something very basic. Philadelphia & South Jersey identify with the MidAtlantic. I've had guests when I lived in Cherry Hill who commented on the similarities to Northern VA in many respects. (not the area immediately outside of DC, either) You will find a lot of similarities from Philly & South Jersey to roughly Richmond.

Before all of the small bank chains were swallowed up, there was a South Jersey chain called Midlantic. You can't get more blatant in self identification than that.

This thread & the Jersey Devil thread really belong in the subforum, but then not many people would read them.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You have to understand something very basic. Philadelphia & South Jersey identify with the MidAtlantic. I've had guests when I lived in Cherry Hill who commented on the similarities to Northern VA in many respects. (not the area immediately outside of DC, either) You will find a lot of similarities from Philly & South Jersey to roughly Richmond.

Before all of the small bank chains were swallowed up, there was a South Jersey chain called Midlantic. You can't get more blatant in self identification than that.

This thread & the Jersey Devil thread really belong in the subforum, but then not many people would read them.
I didn't realize there was a regional divide in the state.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:54 PM

6,183 posts, read 6,075,065 times
Quote:
It's day and night different. If you met people from Bergen County and then people from Camden County you'd think they were from different sides of the country. It's the old New York/Philly divide. 100 miles apart physically. 10000 miles apart socially.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
It's day and night different. If you met people from Bergen County and then people from Camden County you'd think they were from different sides of the country. It's the old New York/Philly divide. 100 miles apart physically. 10000 miles apart socially.
That's an understatement! (but tactfully put)

Old 08-14-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I can appreciate that. I went to Vineland when I was younger and remember everyone was very nice and down to earth. A few years later went to Newark and......wow what a difference.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Look in the subforum. There's a couple of threads that pretty much say it all. One is why is South Jersey so undeveloped & I bet you can figure out the other one.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:21 PM

877 posts, read 2,839,078 times
Quote:

My grandfather told me that when they first moved to Cherry Hill in 1970 he met a guy there who grew up in the general area (Berlin I think) who told him that before the Woodcrest development was built circa 1960 he used to hunt rabbits over there, he said it was all natural forest there it's gone now. And they live in the old part just off Haddonfield-Berlin Rd and they were there before the newer section close to Springdale Rd was built, my mother said they used to go play in the woods back there they referred to as the "dunes". There are only two farms left in CH that I could think of. One is a horse farm right on the border to Voorhees, and the other is Springdale Farmer's Market

My aunt and uncle who live in Voorhees are off 73 surrounded by woods and pines, and their back yard is the county line. There's a dirt road that extends back there from I think Braddock Mill Rd in Evesham. My uncle was telling me a funny story about when they first moved there they were living there for about a week when the police showed up and had to go into their back yard to catch some guy who was running from the cops. When my uncle discovered that little backway he went back there one night and left a six-pack of beer under a tree to see if anyone who regularly parties in the woods would take it. About a month later it was gone. Hey free beer, can't beat that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey