Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 AM

14 posts, read 35,764 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am planning to drive to Seaside beach first second of September as first time ever visiting Jersey Shore from Paramus, Bergen County.

We will leave morning and be back home before it gets dark probably.

How are parkings in Seaside? Where should we park? Any fees to enter the boardwalk/beach? Is it worth it visiting Seaside heights as first time visiting the Shore, and probably the last one in many years?
I wanted to go to Atlantic City, but that's too far and not worth the drive only for a day visiting. We were also planning to go to Coney Island instead, but I could go there anywhere on just a subway ride.

Since I wanted to also visit Long Branch for like an hour, then drive down to Seaside, is that recommended?

Is it also true that their food in the boardwalk is very expensive?

Please respond to me.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 11:48 AM

912 posts, read 2,445,831 times
There's metered parking ($1.50/hour) or you can park in a private lot for about $10 for the whole day. Food on the boardwalk is average priced. Maybe a little bit expensive, but it's just burgers, hot dogs, etc., so no matter what you get it's not that expensive.

If you want to take a day trip, it must be during the week. Don't even attempt driving from Bergen County to Ocean County on a Friday or Saturday (or Sunday for the trip home) if you can help it. You'll never want to drive again after dealing with all that traffic.

As for visiting Seaside for your first trip to the beach (I'm assuming you're from another state or something) it's fine but just know what to expect. The Shore area of New Jersey includes quiet seasonal seaside towns, traditional suburbs that are year-round communities and wild party towns. Seaside is a wild party town. Lots of bars, clubs and places to eat, but also plenty of games, rides and family stuff as well. It's a good mix.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:40 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,204 times
My advice, find a better beach. If you do go to Seaside, you can do what we did when we went there this past May, and park on the side of the road.

Personally I'd suggest going just a little farther south to Island Beach State Park or LBI.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:52 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,003 times
You'll pay more for parking the closer you are to the boardwalk. The closer to the bay you go, the more likely you'll be able to park on the street for free. You need to pay like five dollars a person to get on the beach. Kids under 12 are free.

You can also go drive south past the boardwalk and use the beach there. The price goes up to 10 bucks a person in Seaside Park, and then goes down again in Berkeley Twp, right before Island Beach State Park.

If you decide to go to Island Beach State Park instead, you pay by the car. I think it's 12 dollars or something like that. There is a nice snack bar, showers, and bathroom. But go early because they close when a certain number of cars enter. This happens regularly on the weekend.

The previous poster suggested LBI-that is an extra 30-40 minute drive, and you have to exit the island and get back on the Garden State Parkway to get there.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:50 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,412,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
My advice, find a better beach. If you do go to Seaside, you can do what we did when we went there this past May, and park on the side of the road.

Personally I'd suggest going just a little farther south to Island Beach State Park or LBI.

A better beach?? They just said they want to go to Seaside Heights, do you even know what they are looking for? Maybe they want a boardwalk. Maybe they want food. How about asking and stop being soo snooty about Seaside. Gracias.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:54 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,430 times
Parking at seaside is a minimum $5. More likely $10 or $15. There are dirt lots along the beach which are open with an attendant. Its very unlikely you can find a meter available on the weekend. Seaside is nice because its a long boardwalk with tons of food/games. Go for it!

Old 08-15-2010, 05:43 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
A better beach?? They just said they want to go to Seaside Heights, do you even know what they are looking for? Maybe they want a boardwalk. Maybe they want food. How about asking and stop being soo snooty about Seaside. Gracias.
I apologize, but it really is an awful beach. I mean, it makes Wildwood look clean & classy. There's other beaches with better boardwalks in NJ B.T.W. Personally, I was greatly disappointed with how filthy it was there as well as the attitudes of some of the people on the boardwalk. I don't know about you, but I apologize when I bump into someone and don't make a big deal about it because I doubt they're trying to "start sumptin" as some NYer once tried to do to me while on the boards there (which I hope is a rarity and that I ran into the a-hole of the day that time)

and yes, of course it could be worse, I mean it's not THAT bad, but I'd avoid it if I lived farther north, because I just didn't like the whole feel of the place. If you do go, you should check out the 1920'a style freak show (and no I don't mean the people on the boardwalk or the "Jersey Shore" TV show )

Old 08-15-2010, 06:36 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,338,005 times
Is there any specific reasons you wanted to go to Seaside and Long Branch? Since most people have already responded to the Seaside part, I'll respond to the Long Branch part. The beach at Long Branch is okay, but not too exciting IMO. If you're looking for the boardwalk-type stuff there's a little bit of that by the Pier Village thing, but most of it isn't really typical Jersey Shore boardwalk stuff (stupid t-shirts and junk food) and is more like overpriced upscale shops and restaurants. You'll also have to pay to park and get on the beach in most places, although there are a couple weird areas that have free public beach access but are kinda hidden because it looks like they're in the backyard of somebody's house but really aren't.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:24 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,524,003 times
Forgot about the Long Branch part. If I were you I'd just stick with one destination. It'll take you over an hour to get to Long Branch, and then over an hour to get to Seaside.

If you're looking for the better beach, in terms of clean water and sand, I'd go to Seaside. In general in NJ, the best beaches (clean blue/green water and white sand) are south of Point Pleasant. Closer to NY the water tends to be brown and the sand yellow. But if you have business in Long Branch, the beach is nice enough.

Have fun.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:40 AM

455 posts, read 669,506 times
Smile Visiting Seaside first time in Jersey Shore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
I apologize, but it really is an awful beach. I mean, it makes Wildwood look clean & classy. There's other beaches with better boardwalks in NJ B.T.W. Personally, I was greatly disappointed with how filthy it was there as well as the attitudes of some of the people on the boardwalk. I don't know about you, but I apologize when I bump into someone and don't make a big deal about it because I doubt they're trying to "start sumptin" as some NYer once tried to do to me while on the boards there (which I hope is a rarity and that I ran into the a-hole of the day that time)

and yes, of course it could be worse, I mean it's not THAT bad, but I'd avoid it if I lived farther north, because I just didn't like the whole feel of the place. If you do go, you should check out the 1920'a style freak show (and no I don't mean the people on the boardwalk or the "Jersey Shore" TV show )
Seaside Heights is not an awful beach. I'll have you know I flew up from Tennessee this summer especially to return to my beloved Seaside Heights beach. If you are talking about Wildwood, you must be from another area..not North Jersey. Most of us from North Jersey would never even consider Wildwood. First of all, the ocean there is way too far from the boardwalk.
Back to Seaside, the beach itself has wonderful white sand, a wide beach and when you breathe in.. the smell of the ocean will stay with you for days afterwards. There's nothing like it. Granted, it's crowded in the summer. If I want a more peaceful setting, I'll go to Seaside Park or Island Beach Park. But, I'll always come back and walk the boardwalk at Seaside. There is so much tradition here, so much good food.
Yes, there are the young people who want to party.. it's always been like that. But, there are also families and solo travelers such as myself.
Seaside Heights will remain a favorite spot for generations of people... It's not an AWFUL beach... it's one of the sweetest spots on earth. I wouldn't call it Fiji, but neither would I put Wildwood above Seaside Heights. Shame on you jknic, you know not of what you speak.
Good, now I feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey