Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Jersey: college, traffic, cost of living, bankrupts, taxes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 11:51 PM

4 posts, read 21,252 times

Advertisements

I'm really tired of living here. I feel like it is unrelaxed, overcrowded, and lacks a true identity. Philadelphia and New York are cool cities, but the cities in NJ itself are mostly just a bunch of trash. Given, I prefer my area over a lot of others I've seen in NJ, and I do think my town is ok, but there's no way in hell I'd ever want to live here my entire life. The landscape is really boring, with a few exceptions. You go nextdoor to PA, and it's nice and green. All we have in New Jersey is a ton of houses. The nicest area in NJ is the shore, but even that place is overcrowded and a bit overrated.

Once I get out of college, I'm getting the **** out of here. Fortunately, I'm going into healthcare and there's a demand for that everywhere.

Just thought I'd get this off my chest somewhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 12:24 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
You kidding? There's everything here! It's just damned expensive

Old 06-26-2007, 02:54 AM

5 posts, read 27,745 times
Guess your “pulling out of here to win”

I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to get out of Jersey and the last 20 trying to get back in.

Go ahead and see the world have a ball, but mark these words from an older if not wiser stranger. One day you will be some where about to put a pink tasteless tomato in your mouth and you will long for the garden state, you will feel the first hot rush of summer and will wish you were stuck in traffic on the parkway.

The state bore you and laid the grown work for what you will become.

All the best to you.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:55 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe jones View Post
I'm really tired of living here. I feel like it is unrelaxed, overcrowded, and lacks a true identity. Philadelphia and New York are cool cities, but the cities in NJ itself are mostly just a bunch of trash. Given, I prefer my area over a lot of others I've seen in NJ, and I do think my town is ok, but there's no way in hell I'd ever want to live here my entire life. The landscape is really boring, with a few exceptions. You go nextdoor to PA, and it's nice and green. All we have in New Jersey is a ton of houses. The nicest area in NJ is the shore, but even that place is overcrowded and a bit overrated.
if you're going to compare NJ to PA, please at least make it valid. To compare urban NJ to rural PA is ridiculous. When you go "next door" to PA, didn't you go through Hunterdon, Warren, or Sussex Counties? Hello? Talk about nice and green. Take a ride west on Rt 80 past Exit 19 or Rt 78 West of Exit 29 - you'll see lots and lots of "nice".

I could turn this around and say "PA is trash. I live in here and it's overcrowded and unrelaxed. The landscape is boring - flat, flat, flat. When you go next door to NJ and go to, say, Vernon, it's SO nice and green and hilly. All we have in PA is houses and the towns are ugly." Ridiculous. Gotta love the broad brush!

Old 06-26-2007, 10:06 AM

4 posts, read 21,252 times
Well, let's put it this way. There are a lot of areas I've seen in PA that are a hell of a lot nicer than New Jersey. I haven't been through all of Pennsylvania, I haven't been through all of New Jersey, but I've seen a lot of both. I know NJ has its decent areas, but as a whole I really don't like the state.

I'll tell you what I see the most when I go to PA - the poconos. You can't tell me the landscape there isn't nice. I live 10 minutes from Philly and right next to Camden, and Philly is a hell of a lot better of a city than anything NJ has to offer.

I've lived in New Jersey long enough to realize that I'll probably want to be around people when I leave. I know I'll have fond memories of things I've done here, but I seriously doubt I'll be dying to come back. There are way nicer states out there. Ideally I'd like to live close to a city in a state out west, where there's good landscape and enough people that I don't feel isolated.

Old 06-26-2007, 12:52 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzy272 View Post
Guess your “pulling out of here to winâ€

I spent the first 20 years of my life trying to get out of Jersey and the last 20 trying to get back in.

Go ahead and see the world have a ball, but mark these words from an older if not wiser stranger. One day you will be some where about to put a pink tasteless tomato in your mouth and you will long for the garden state, you will feel the first hot rush of summer and will wish you were stuck in traffic on the parkway.
The state bore you and laid the grown work for what you will become.

All the best to you.
Never in a miliion years would I miss the traffic and overcrowdedness!!!

Here's another take from an old & wise person. I have spent most of my 45 years in NJ - Union county (Westfield & Union), and now Bergen county. I can't WAIT to leave!!! I am hopefully moving to northern CA soon. From what I've seen, for the most part the quality of life out West blows away anything in the Northeast. This includes weather, cost of living (!), outdoor recreation and beauty and friendliness of people (lets exclude LA from this).

I know there are nice areas here, but it's all so damn expensive! I don't think things are all that much different or better in Eastern PA, southern CT, lower NY state, or anywhere withing a 100 mile radius of here. Maybe it's worth it if you love Manhatten or have a career that is based here, but to me the negative far outweighs the positive.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:49 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,992,392 times
Quote:
I'll tell you what I see the most when I go to PA - the poconos. You can't tell me the landscape there isn't nice. I live 10 minutes from Philly and right next to Camden, and Philly is a hell of a lot better of a city than anything NJ has to offer.

Personally I'll take the Jersey shore over the Poconos anyday. You want spend time driving up and down mountians be my guest. I hope your handy with cars cause the mountians put a beating on them. As far as Philly is concerned, why do you feel it is better then anything Jersey has to offer?

Old 06-26-2007, 01:51 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone28 View Post
Personally I'll take the Jersey shore over the Poconos anyday. You want spend time driving up and down mountians be my guest. I hope your handy with cars cause the mountians put a beating on them. As far as Philly is concerned, why do you feel it is better then anything Jersey has to offer?
being stuck in shore traffic is no cake walk for the car either

Old 06-26-2007, 02:17 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Well, let's put it this way. There are a lot of areas I've seen in PA that are a hell of a lot nicer than New Jersey.
and there are a lot of areas in NJ that are nicer than PA - your point?

Quote:
I haven't been through all of Pennsylvania, I haven't been through all of New Jersey, but I've seen a lot of both. I know NJ has its decent areas, but as a whole I really don't like the state.
do yourself a favor - take some time and drive somewhere outside the 10 miles radius of your house. you'll then be able to present a more logical argument - and maybe in the meantime you'll learn a thing or two.

Quote:
I'll tell you what I see the most when I go to PA - the poconos. You can't tell me the landscape there isn't nice.
never said it wasn't. and i'll tell you that you can't tell the difference between the western part of NJ right outside the Poconos and the Poconos itself. THAT is my point. But if you won't take the time to realize this, not sure what I can say.

Quote:
I live 10 minutes from Philly and right next to Camden, and Philly is a hell of a lot better of a city than anything NJ has to offer.
but isn't Philly overcrowded, polluted, never mind dangerous - all the things you claim to abhor?

Quote:
I've lived in New Jersey long enough to realize that I'll probably want to be around people when I leave. I know I'll have fond memories of things I've done here, but I seriously doubt I'll be dying to come back. There are way nicer states out there. Ideally I'd like to live close to a city in a state out west, where there's good landscape and enough people that I don't feel isolated.
it sounds like you're looking for nirvana - and, coming from someone who's traveled the country extensively - every place has its' pockmarks. you should leave, it'll make you appreciate what you had even more. i didn't realize it until i saw for myself. you're young, you'll see.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:04 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Well, let's put it this way. There are a lot of areas I've seen in PA that are a hell of a lot nicer than New Jersey. I haven't been through all of Pennsylvania, I haven't been through all of New Jersey, but I've seen a lot of both. I know NJ has its decent areas, but as a whole I really don't like the state.

And that's exactly it...most other states you'd HAVE to be living close to a city. Whereas in Jerze we're geographically situated between two of the largest cities in the country. Comparing Philly to Camden isn't even fair and we all know Philly has it's rough spots too. To say that Philly (a single city) is more than Jerze has to offer is crazy.
I agree that there may be nicer states than NJ but that's not a very long list. I might get jumped for this but besides California, Florida and maybe Hawaii(I guess) there aren't too many states that could even hold a candle to NJ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey