Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

New Jersey: college, traffic, cost of living, bankrupts, taxes.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 09:03 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
Too bad for every one of us that leaves 10 foreigners move in to replace us! lol
are foreigners a bad thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 09:13 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
NJ is not all that bad....we have the beaches and then we have mountains and lakes...we have close proximity to NYC or Philly....New England in the fall is a nice weekend drive away

Our downfall is our own doing by constantly voting and re electing crooked politicians who have been robbing Peter to pay Paul for decades and it's finally catching up to us.

My roots here are pre civil war in Jersey City. I haven't lived there in decades moving to Morris Couny but like that I can still go back.

My relocation down south will only be a few months of the year..think snow bird.
For all those still working and relocating down south..every thing is relative, sure the property & taxes are a lot lower but so are the wages.
In addition all the influx of Northeners will take it's toll on the infrastructure and services such as schools, police, fire et al.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:10 AM

114 posts, read 208,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moe jones View Post
I'm really tired of living here. I feel like it is unrelaxed, overcrowded, and lacks a true identity. Philadelphia and New York are cool cities, but the cities in NJ itself are mostly just a bunch of trash. Given, I prefer my area over a lot of others I've seen in NJ, and I do think my town is ok, but there's no way in hell I'd ever want to live here my entire life. The landscape is really boring, with a few exceptions. You go nextdoor to PA, and it's nice and green. All we have in New Jersey is a ton of houses. The nicest area in NJ is the shore, but even that place is overcrowded and a bit overrated.

Once I get out of college, I'm getting the **** out of here. Fortunately, I'm going into healthcare and there's a demand for that everywhere.

Just thought I'd get this off my chest somewhere...
Hey no offense but you really need to look around. Jersey has alot of great things here and I seriously doubt you've travel althrough New Jersey (I haven't even) and yes I do agree that jersey is a bit crowed at times but the state is growing just like NC is growing from alot of NY/NJ residents leaving but def. look around NJ we have alot more to offer than people think

Old 06-29-2007, 12:22 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyM'Fers View Post
Hey no offense but you really need to look around. Jersey has alot of great things here and I seriously doubt you've travel althrough New Jersey (I haven't even) and yes I do agree that jersey is a bit crowed at times but the state is growing just like NC is growing from alot of NY/NJ residents leaving but def. look around NJ we have alot more to offer than people think
aside from a bankrupt government that creates more taxes regularly what does NJ offer that other states along the eastern seaboard don't?

Old 06-29-2007, 12:46 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Proximity...

Old 06-29-2007, 02:02 PM

515 posts, read 2,323,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
are foreigners a bad thing?
When they outnumber Americans, well, yeah! But I was only making a joke - and the point that no matter how many NJ haters leave, the influx and population increase will continue! I'm not going to open THAT can of worms and explain why I feel this way, but I honestly wish there were fewer of them here than there are. (and I'm not a biggot - I'm a social worker!) This is certainly not just a NJ issue!

Old 06-29-2007, 02:17 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Proximity...
OK, so if you're not someone who needs proximity to NYC or Philly (and believe it or not, some people don't- heaven forbid), then what does NJ offer that the rest of the east coast doesn't?

Bob

Old 06-29-2007, 02:19 PM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
OK, so if you're not someone who needs proximity to NYC or Philly (and believe it or not, some people don't- heaven forbid), then what does NJ offer that the rest of the east coast doesn't?

Bob
JERSEY TOMATOES lol

and gas station attendants...lord I HATE pumping my own gas

Old 06-29-2007, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnabon View Post
When they outnumber Americans, well, yeah! But I was only making a joke - and the point that no matter how many NJ haters leave, the influx and population increase will continue! I'm not going to open THAT can of worms and explain why I feel this way, but I honestly wish there were fewer of them here than there are. (and I'm not a biggot - I'm a social worker!) This is certainly not just a NJ issue!
hmmm. ok, I'll be sure to tell my Irish, Russian, Indian, Polish, German, Greek and English coworkers that they are contributing to the problem. And curses to my ancestors for coming through Ellis Island - maybe I'm not an American either..........................

Old 06-29-2007, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post

Bob
well, now you're asking a different question. you got an answer from 66nexus, is that not good enough?

for me, you could plop me anywhere from Vermont/New Hampshire down to NJ (maybe Maryland) and I'd be happy. Don't care for the weather south of there and southern culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey