Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 07:45 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,223,445 times

Advertisements

No, I shouldn't have followed your suggestion.[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Bridgewater traffic is horrible, try an evening or morning commute on the roads you mentioned to get anywhere.

Then you have the Hills, the ultimate definition of crowded. Raritan, Bradley Gardens also share Bridgewater schools and overcrowded schools are an issue.

http://www.trulia.com/schools/NJ-Bridgewater/Bridgewater_Raritan_High_School/

Some flooding on the mountain side.

Bridgewater and Metuchen are each perfect for given requirements. It is an odd comparison as Bridgewater has more variety as to property types to fit different tastes, region vs town, etc. Beautiful homes in both locations and either location would not be interchangeable to many residents.

Train from Metuchen runs directly into NYC as opposed to having to switch trains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 07:51 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
No, I shouldn't have followed your suggestion.[SIZE=2]
[/SIZE]

Bridgewater traffic is horrible, try an evening or morning commute on the roads you mentioned to get anywhere.

Then you have the Hills, the ultimate definition of crowded. Raritan, Bradley Gardens also share Bridgewater schools and overcrowded schools are an issue.

Bridgewater and Metuchen are each perfect for given requirements. It is an odd comparison as Bridgewater has more variety as to property types to fit different tastes, region vs town, etc. Beautiful homes in both locations and either location would not be interchangeable to many residents.

Train from Metuchen runs directly into NYC as opposed to having to switch trains.
I do and have traveled for nearly 20 years in that area, it's not bad.

BTW - the Hills is not in Bridgewater.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
No, I shouldn't have followed your suggestion.[SIZE=2][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Bridgewater traffic is no worse than any other town in central NJ, and better than many of them. You can't possibly be suggesting that Route 1 or Rt 27 during rush hour is anything approaching easy.

The Hills are not in Bridgewater, they are in Basking Ridge and Bedminster.

Bradley Gardens do not "share" Bridgewater schools. Bradley Gardens is a section of Bridgewater, so of course the children who live there will attend schools in Bridgewater.

There are no flood zones on the mountain side of Bridgewater. As I said earlier, if your property is not properly waterproofed, you can get water in yoru house anywhere.

I acknowledged that the schools in Bridgewater are slightly more crowded than those in Metuchen, but since Bridgewater students seem to perrform better on standardized tests, I don't know that most people would consider it much of a problem.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 08-17-2010 at 08:17 AM..

Old 08-17-2010, 10:03 AM

2,257 posts, read 5,187,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
I recently moved just outside of Princeton for a job in Lawrenceville, NJ. I have friends and family in Bergen County and I meet up with them in Manhattan quite regularly.
with a budget of 700k and work in Lawrenceville, have you considered Princeton, West Windsor, South Brunswick, etc. i understand Metuchen has better access to highways and is closer to NYC, but Bridgewater does not have any significant advantage over any of the the towns listed above.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:46 PM

132 posts, read 410,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knicksin8 View Post
I recently moved just outside of Princeton for a job in Lawrenceville, NJ. I have friends and family in Bergen County and I meet up with them in Manhattan quite regularly.

While Bridgewater and Metuchen are very different places, I can manage the commute from either location to work, and I would also have better access to multiple highways, unlike the limited options of Rt. 1 & 206 of the Princeton area. Plus, a train into NYC is closer from either of these locations compared to the Princeton area.

Both Bridgewater & Metuchen appear to be safe places with good quality schools for my kids, though realistically a notch below the respective reputations of the Princeton, Montgomery or West Windsor school districts.

I did not seriously consider Warren, Watchung, Green Brook and Westfield because the work commute would be too much in my mind. I think Bridgewater and Metuchen are the outer limits of the commute time I am willing to accept.

Go with Metuchen. It's more convenient if you're commuting to NYC. I personally like it because it has a nice small town neighborhood feel to it. Bridgewater does not match your requirements, and don't let anyone convince you that it does.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUALL View Post
Go with Metuchen. It's more convenient if you're commuting to NYC. I personally like it because it has a nice small town neighborhood feel to it. Bridgewater does not match your requirements, and don't let anyone convince you that it does.
Really? Would you please show us the requirement he mentions that is not met by Bridgewater? Please?

Why are you always so interested in stopping people moving to Bridgewater?

Old 08-17-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Really? Would you please show us the requirement he mentions that is not met by Bridgewater? Please?

Why are you always so interested in stopping people moving to Bridgewater?
Bill.. Bill..

I am just being honest with this guy. If you are commuting to NYC, why the heck would you want them to live in Bridgewater rather than Metuchen??

Now if he said he was commuting to Basking Ridge, then my suggestion would be something else.. got it?

Just because YOU live in Bridgewater doesn't mean everyone has to.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:52 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,658 times
Quote:
Bill.. Bill..

I am just being honest with this guy. If you are commuting to NYC, why the heck would you want them to live in Bridgewater rather than Metuchen??

Now if he said he was commuting to Basking Ridge, then my suggestion would be something else.. got it?

Well said FUALL....btw, nice name. I would have to vote for Metuchen over Bridgewater. I live in Piscataway and work in Somerset. I shop at Costco in Bridgewater ALL the time (only because its less crazy than Edison Costco), however I would not want to live there. It would seem a bit "out of the way" for me if I had to commute to NYC. Everything around Amwell Rd, 22, 28, seems congested. Metuchen, to me, is just a nicer town with good schools and a better accessibility to get through many towns to get where you need to go.

$700K is a good chunk of money though. I would consider Princeton, South Bruns, or East Brunswick if you have kids.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Bill.. Bill..

You have to stop doing that. I NEVER SAID I want him to live anywhere. Stop saying I did.

HE SAID that he had narrowed it to those two towns, both of which would work for his commute. I acknowledged that the commute is shorter from Metuchen. EVERYTHING ELSE HE MENTIONED as important, including schools & taxes, is BETTER IN BRIDGEWATER.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
You have to stop doing that. I NEVER SAID I want him to live anywhere. Stop saying I did.

HE SAID that he had narrowed it to those two towns, both of which would work for his commute. I acknowledged that the commute is shorter from Metuchen. EVERYTHING ELSE HE MENTIONED as important, including schools & taxes, is BETTER IN BRIDGEWATER.

Show me data that supports your claim that the bridgewater schools are better. check Schooldigger.com which shows accurate statistical rankings of school districts, and you would see otherwise.

property tax is probably the same for both towns as it all depends how big and expensive a house you want to buy anyway.

By you saying EVERYTHING ELSE IS BETTER IN BRIDGEWATER other than the commute to NYC is a very subjective statement. I have no issue with you being very passionate about the town that you live in, but don't spit out nonsense
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey