Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 11,953 times

Advertisements

This fall I'll be attending classes at NYU part-time after work. I would be leaving work around 4pm and am required to be in class by 6pm.

I know traffic might be an issue so I've thought of parking somewhere and taking the PATH, NJ transit, etc but I'm not really sure.

What do you guys think would be the most ideal commute to get to the Village area (specifically 4th st, NYU) from Morris County (Parsippany)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 03:34 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Id Park in Harrison and use the PATH. NJT might be a little to heavy for you if your going to Collage in NYC since you would need to buy another Transit pass on the Manhattan side and that would add up if your doing it everyday or more then 3x a week.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:57 PM

3 posts, read 11,953 times
thanks nexis! is parking in harrison safe at night?

Old 08-16-2010, 04:25 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukoons View Post
thanks nexis! is parking in harrison safe at night?
Yes , Harrison is decent. Just practice common sense and you'll be fine.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 PM

334 posts, read 731,795 times
PATH 33rd Street train, get off at 9th Street. I used to park in Harrison all the time when I took the PATH, it's pretty safe. Just not sure how crowded it is during a weeknight as I've only done this on the weekend.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:02 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
i picked up my sister at harrison station on a wednesday evening around 9pm. decent amount of people getting off even then.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:26 PM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,048 times
if you take the PATH from Harrison, you have to switch trains in Journal Sq (or maybe exchange place) to get to the 33rd street line. right? atleast you used to. its been a couple of years for me.

Old 08-17-2010, 02:12 PM

1,620 posts, read 3,774,139 times
still have to switch, but not really a problem. Harrison is probably the best option. Also, if you are doing the NYU Stern MBA (I was blue group 2004), you will probably find a bunch of people doing the same thing as you. You can car pool. Some people even drive all the way in. The only problem with that (well, I have been out for a couple of years, but it is probably the same) the parking around school is mostly no parking until 6pm. Lots of people just wait in their car to 5:58, and then run into class (how many can they give tickets to in 2 minutes).

Old 08-17-2010, 09:04 PM

279 posts, read 1,086,818 times
I graduated from NYU in 1999 and used to go from NJ to NYU via Newark Penn to PATH to Journal Square and switch to PATH toward 33rd but get off at 9th....walk out the station and turn left to go toward Washington Square Park. Doesn't the PATH go STRAIGHT to 9th from Harrison? I believe the line was HARRISON----Christopher st-----9th----14th----23----33rd. It may have changed since 9-11, not sure

Old 08-18-2010, 06:03 AM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,064 times
i agree with the others that harrison is a good option - it's a straight shot down I-280 from parsippany, and you don't have to deal with the holland/lincoln tunnel traffic or the parking issues around NYU. the area around the harrison PATH station can feel desolate late at night since no one lives within a few blocks of the station, but it isn't dangerous. as long as you use basic common sense, you shouldn't have to worry about your safety.

also, parking near the station is relatively easy. there are plenty of metered spots near the station that empty out after 5pm - and if i'm not mistaken, these meters are free after 6pm, so you'd only need to insert the minimum number of quarters to take you to 6:00. there are also free street spots in harrison if you're willing to walk 10+ minutes north, northwest, or northeast of the station. and you could always park at one of the many pay lots near the station, although the costs would add up after a while so i'd only do that if you're pressed for time and no meters are available.

if you do decide to drive all the way into the city, you should definitely try to carpool to cut down on costs. just be aware that traffic into the city during the late afternoon rush hour can be really heavy (even though it's technically against the flow of traffic), especially on thursdays and fridays, when it could take well over an hour from parsippany. earlier in the week, late afternoon traffic into the city tends to be lighter for some reason, although you really have to listen to the traffic reports beforehand to verify this.

as another poster mentioned, there are many streets in manhattan that become free legal parking after 6pm or 7pm (depends on the street). there are also a number of metered spots in the nyu area - some need to be paid until 10pm, some until 6pm, and so forth. although i probably wouldn't recommend driving into the city unless you have a ton of experience driving and parking in manhattan, you do stand a much better chance of nabbing a spot quickly during the 5pm-7pm timeframe than you would beforehand or afterward. just be sure to read the street signs very carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
if you take the PATH from Harrison, you have to switch trains in Journal Sq (or maybe exchange place) to get to the 33rd street line. right? atleast you used to. its been a couple of years for me.
yeah, the transfer is at journal square, not exchange place.

the OP would ride the PATH train from harrison to journal square, then walk across the platform at JSQ and catch the 33rd street-bound train. get off at 9th street and then walk a few blocks to NYU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmgvr4 View Post
I graduated from NYU in 1999 and used to go from NJ to NYU via Newark Penn to PATH to Journal Square and switch to PATH toward 33rd but get off at 9th....walk out the station and turn left to go toward Washington Square Park. Doesn't the PATH go STRAIGHT to 9th from Harrison? I believe the line was HARRISON----Christopher st-----9th----14th----23----33rd. It may have changed since 9-11, not sure
during my entire lifetime, the PATH train has never gone directly from harrison to christopher/9th/14th/23rd/33rd streets. passengers who board at newark and harrison have always had to switch trains at JSQ.

perhaps things were different back in the '60s or earlier, not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey