Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2010, 09:36 AM

7 posts, read 16,357 times

Advertisements

We put offer on home in NJ, that is 170 years old. There was a 2,000 gallon UST that was "decommissioned" in 1999 prior to current homeowners taking house. The papers the sellers provided to us are the proposal, construction permit, what appears to be the inspectors sign-off on a piece of paper. Township supposedly cannot locate the closed permit.
The sellers removed this tank at our request a week ago and the sellers attorney provided us with the UCC Certification for the tank removal. We specifically asked them to remove it AND test the soil. They removed it, did not test the soil because they say the tank has now been "certified" on 2 occasions. The Township suggests that the UCC certification "certifies" that there was no leakage and that the town inspector would not have signed that unless he saw no evidence of leakage. Would that be sufficient for us to purchase this home re: the tank?
We have heard such conflicting information on this and are not sure what the risk would be if we move forward.

Any advise on how we should move on this is greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reading this!

Theresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
hi theresa i just went through this in march. the document from the 90s - the city told me the same thing. problem was, what if the city changes it's mind in the future? i paid for a soil test. think it cost me $400. now, at least i have documentation.

if you asked for the soil test as part of the closing, then they owe that to you. did they agree to the terms? or was this just a verbal request? i'd make them do the test personally. how much are you spending on a house that shortcutting out of $400 is worth it?

that being said - it's probably fine. i'm just paranoid and wanted the piece-of-mind.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:19 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
so basically they dug up the ground... pulled the tank and filled it back in. I would imagine its going to be difficult to know exactly what part of the ground was right underneath the bottom of the tank to take a sample now?

i think you probably be ok but if you agreed on a soil test and they didn't do it then that is kind of shady.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:00 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
Do the soil test! What qualifications does the town inspector have when it comes to testing groundsoil for oil contamination?

Old 08-18-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
hi theresa i just went through this in march. the document from the 90s - the city told me the same thing. problem was, what if the city changes it's mind in the future? i paid for a soil test. think it cost me $400. now, at least i have documentation.

if you asked for the soil test as part of the closing, then they owe that to you. did they agree to the terms? or was this just a verbal request? i'd make them do the test personally. how much are you spending on a house that shortcutting out of $400 is worth it?

that being said - it's probably fine. i'm just paranoid and wanted the piece-of-mind.
Thank you so much bradykp!
I find it interesting that neither of these towns could produce the UCC certification or a closed permit for the tank decommissioning. We have asked for the soil to be tested on 3 occasions in "written" letters to the attorneys. They are now saying the tank is "certified" on 2 occasions and they are not required to do soil testing. I think we should pay for the soil testing, if they agree to it. If they don't agree to it, we'll walk. That will be our "sign".

Thank you again!

Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Do the soil test! What qualifications does the town inspector have when it comes to testing groundsoil for oil contamination?
Thank you FrmlyBklyn! I agree. The town sugested, when I asked them to interpret the UCC certification for the tank removal, they said that the UCC cert. represents that the inspector inspected the tank and found no evidence of leakage, otherwise further action would have to be taken toward clean-up. My concern is that, if I sell this house and someone asks me where it says that there was no evidence of leakage, IT DOESN'T...Plus, I read on other posts that the town inspectors are specifically NOT certifying to that effect so they can't get sued later down the road.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
so basically they dug up the ground... pulled the tank and filled it back in. I would imagine its going to be difficult to know exactly what part of the ground was right underneath the bottom of the tank to take a sample now?

i think you probably be ok but if you agreed on a soil test and they didn't do it then that is kind of shady.
Thanks very much Joe Moving,
The company taking the sample, I believe, would ask for a site survey that would show the tank location. They have been avoiding doing the soil test. They suggest that it isn't necessary. I don't know that we will be completely comfortable with that!

Old 08-19-2010, 06:08 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,859,501 times
Good luck. IT seems like a lot of work to pull a tank and not take a soil sample.

We had our tank pulled for our own peace of mind and were sure to get soil sample so when we go to sell (whenever that may be) it should be open/closed case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey