U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:14 AM

11 posts, read 73,743 times

Advertisements

Hi, Sorry, I may be repeating the topic which already exists in the forum, but most of them seem to be atleast a year old. I live in Plainsboro and need to travel to NYC starting next month. Looks like I wont get parking in Princeton and its full before 6.30am, so need to drive to Hamilton to park and take a 1hr train from there. Also I am looking at going closer (find a apartment) closer to Hamilton station or go closer to Metropark/Edison stations, but i see a lot of bad reviews for Metropark/Edison apartments, traffic, roaches, bugs in apartments, parking at stations etc. Anyone living/traveling from Hamilton, can you share your experience on how bad/good.

I have a 3 month baby, so dont want to get into a apartment with roaches, bugs just because the train travel distance is shorter (30 mins difference). Also I am not sure how smooth the train travel is from Hamilton to NYC. Please help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 AM

12,381 posts, read 24,539,705 times
You might want to look form an Apartment in Ironbound Section of Newark , Rahway , linden . Those are the cheapest area in the Rail dept , and there not that bad in terms of crime and overall living. The Further South you go it gets more expensive to commute and may wear you out. Hamilton is a hit or miss town , it has good and bad areas. The Ironbound Section of , Rahway , Linden ,you can find decent apartments starting at 1200$-1600$. Princeton JCT form what i heard has a long waiting list , along with New Brunswick , Hamilton , & Jersey Avenue.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 AM

thanks for the reply.. how about metropark station and the apartments closer to that station.. I see the https://www.nexusparkingsystems.com/...g-facility.cfm say not wait list for parking, so I am assuming a bit easy. But want to know about apartments and area. I see a lot of bad reviews. Appreciate your help.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:46 AM

12,381 posts, read 24,539,705 times
Ive seen alot of New Apartments on my Urban Jersey trips nicely priced. Rahway and Ironbound section of Newark have alot , so does Downtown Jersey City but those go fast. There are Apartments around the Metropark area , but i'm not familiar with that area and thats another fare zone. Rahway and Ironbound are a cheaper fare zone , Newark gives you a cheaper alt to commuting to NYC. The PATH , which is only 52$ for a monthly. If you live along or near a PATH station in JC which are all in good areas you will save a ton on commuting expenses which kept going up and up.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:45 PM

312 posts, read 1,076,611 times
How about Metuchen? It is one stop before metropark and also an express stop. Metuchen is a great little town with a decent main street.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:18 PM

thanks for the reply.. Metuchen is ok with me too.. can you give me some apartment names closer to station, I mean not walkable but atleast 5-6 miles around the train station. I online reviews everywhere I see mention roaches, bugs, old/outdated apts. thanks for your help!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:36 PM

312 posts, read 1,076,611 times
I don't know the names of all the apt complexes but nothing in Metuchen is really more than 1-2 miles from the station. Metuchen is a tiny town smack in the middle of Edison. Edison is a big donut and is divided into North and South by Metuchen. South Edison is more Industrial and North is more residential.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:36 PM

10 posts, read 25,665 times
Thank you for everyone's reply. I knew I would need some advice from people who have experiences.

What would be the best route then? Can I find parking at Princeton station and take short commute train to Princeton Junction? I am struggling to find a reasonable solution here?

Thank you again.

Jerry

Old 05-18-2011, 10:52 PM

9,870 posts, read 16,487,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryhxu View Post
What would be the best route then? Can I find parking at Princeton station and take short commute train to Princeton Junction? I am struggling to find a reasonable solution here?
There's no reasonable solutions here, this is New Jersey. Anything you really want is prohibitively expensive, unavailable, or both.

Maybe you could take the #600 bus to Princeton Jct?

Old 05-19-2011, 10:07 AM

Hi, I ended up taking coach USA bus from exit 8A park & ride to NYC for my month long project. Park & ride is 5 miles drive from plainsboro and buses start every 10 mins. Most people said I would be caught in traffic, but there is a direct bus lane during rush hrs. If your work is close to times square then coach USA is better than going to Hamilton train station. I found work in NJ and so worked only for 1 month in NYC. So did the bus trip. Otherwise would have moved closer, at least metuchen or up north. The bus/train trip from plainsboro is convenient and smooth, but be ready to spend atleast 3 hrs of your life everyday commuting. Oh and $450 expense every month.

I tried parking at princeton during rush hrs (horrible) and station is so crowded. I tried driving to Hamilton (far from plainsboro), but lot of parking, but parking expensive. Then I tried Coach USA bus from exit 8A (bus every 10 mins), parking $2 (monthly pass available), traffic issues (30 min delay) may be 2 times entire month. Also I think #600 bus does not have good timing that connects to train timing in princeton, you either end up waiting 20 mins or I think you will miss the express trains. Also #600 takes a lot of time before you reach princeton junction due to the # of stops.

Last edited by l543123; 05-19-2011 at 10:17 AM.. Reason: addition
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey