Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchee View Post
I was reading this article and am so glad the McMansion trend is out! I'm also curious how large a home (in SF, please) my fellow CD'ers own. And what your ideal home size is if you're hoping to downgrade or upgrade.

I'm in a 2200SF 4BR home right now. It's larger than what I want now but considering my family will likely grow to a family of 4, it will be just the right size.

Death of the 'McMansion': Era of Huge Homes Is Over - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Death-of-the-McMansion-Era-of-cnbc-1051033821.html?x=0&sec=topStories&pos=4&asset=f44 0023187ad530c8b0cf2f731f8f2f2&ccode= - broken link)

Could you or someone define what a "McMansion" is?

I like to have "space" in my house. I like everything to have a place. I don't want to have to stick 2 kids in one bedroom and have no space for them to have their own "stuff" or be able to escape to. I like having a big dining room that we can all fit around the table as a family and then when we include the extended family, there is more than enough room for holidays or special occasions (which we don't have right now). I like having a family room (which we don't have right now either- it's pretty small, so we're putting an addition on - family room will be dining room and addition will be new family room ) for all 5 of us to be able to hang out in. The kids are young, but they're just going to get bigger and I'd love to have a space where we're not all on top of each other as they grow (and add any future spouses or grand kids).

May have to do with the fact I'm more than a little claustrophobic....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2010, 11:27 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post

I like to have "space" in my house. I like everything to have a place. I don't want to have to stick 2 kids in one bedroom and have no space for them to have their own "stuff" or be able to escape to. I like having a big dining room that we can all fit around the table as a family and then when we include the extended family, there is more than enough room for holidays or special occasions (which we don't have right now). I like having a family room (which we don't have right now either- it's pretty small, so we're putting an addition on - family room will be dining room and addition will be new family room ) for all 5 of us to be able to hang out in. The kids are young, but they're just going to get bigger and I'd love to have a space where we're not all on top of each other as they grow (and add any future spouses or grand kids).

everyone's wants are different. i grew up as 1 of 3 children. family of 5 and a large dog. we had a 2700 sq ft house. basement wasn't finished. 2 car garage. this house was more than enough space. it was a colonial so it had the front room, dining room, family room, kitchen. master bedroom, 2 good size bedrooms, and one bedroom that was big enough for a twin and furniture.

i'm not sure what they define as a mcmansion - but it's pretty easy to spot them just driving around. probably 4,000-5,000 sq ft or more.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:47 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:

5-7,000 sf homes usually built in developments by developers (rather than builders) on a small lot typically 1/2- 1 acre. Big on size with fancy kitchens and baths but usually lacking in quality. City people like Mc Mansions because they get a lot of house but have no need for a large yard.
Watchung, Warren, Green Brook, NJ is the McMansion capital of Central NJ.

7-10,00 sf houses are all over Far Hills, Bedminster, NJ on 5-100 acre farms.
These are real mansions.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times
Thanks for the qualification!

Sounds like the Toll Brothers development my brother bought new in about 3 years ago. HUGE houses with no front, side yards and hardly a backyard to speak of.

Last edited by Informed Info; 08-21-2010 at 05:43 PM..

Old 08-21-2010, 06:58 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:

It sounds as if you are just looking to have the space you need for your family.

Old 08-22-2010, 05:40 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,377,992 times
Quote:
Thanks for the qualification!

Sounds like the Toll Brothers development my brother bought new in about 3 years ago. HUGE houses with no front, side yards and hardly a backyard to speak of.
Yes Toll brothers is one of the developers I was talking about.
I got a call from them years back asking if I would like to bid on the Electrical work on their development in Warren NJ. I declined their offer.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:25 AM

133 posts, read 502,487 times
Even new contruction houses that are less than 5K SF are being built with shoddy contruction. It doesn't have to be a McMansion to have shoddy contruction. This is just the way American housing is being built and it will not end. My 2000 SF home which is perfect for me, was built in 2002 was made with shoddy contruction. I just chalk it up to the signs of the times. Also, while, I wouldn't want a 5000+ SF. Mcmansion, I actually think it has its benefit on smaller lots. Who wants to pay for all that landscaping when you over 2 acres of land. You also get to know your neighbors and it's nice to be able to socialize if you have children and you live on a cul-du-sac.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I'm in a 700 SqFt 1 bedroom APT.
The more people demand overly large homes, the less this world is supposedly "thinking green"
700 square foot is plenty for 1 person. Once you get married and have kids, you might want more space.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:27 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taliana View Post
Even new contruction houses that are less than 5K SF are being built with shoddy contruction. It doesn't have to be a McMansion to have shoddy contruction. This is just the way American housing is being built and it will not end. My 2000 SF home which is perfect for me, was built in 2002 was made with shoddy contruction. I just chalk it up to the signs of the times. Also, while, I wouldn't want a 5000+ SF. Mcmansion, I actually think it has its benefit on smaller lots. Who wants to pay for all that landscaping when you over 2 acres of land. You also get to know your neighbors and it's nice to be able to socialize if you have children and you live on a cul-du-sac.
Well, if you have that much land you can probably afford to pay for landscaping. When I grew up we only had half an acre, but nobody had landscapers do their yard. You had lawnmowers. And rakes. You might pay the neighborhood kid to mow your lawn if your own kids weren't old enough to do it, but my father was disabled and always cut his own lawn on his ride-around lawnmower. Everybody raked leaves and then burned them and we put potatoes in the fire and ate them afterward with lots of butter. (This was the 1960's.) Now you'd get slapped with a ticket for doing that in my old hometown, and everybody uses landscapers. Sorry, just reminiscing...

Some of the houses with 2+ acres, such as in Upper Saddle River, seem to have corporate-type landscaping so it seems the owners really don't care much about gardening anyway, just as long as everything looks neat and tidy.

My opinion re the big houses on small lots has more to do with aesthetics. They just look out of proportion to me. It depends on the families' lifestyles and needs, I suppose.

Old 08-22-2010, 10:35 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,659,967 times
Quote:
Who wants to pay for all that landscaping when you over 2 acres of land
I have almost 3 acres. Only someone foolish will try to have that much landscaped. Most is still the original wooded area and the house is set back far enough that it is barely visible from the roadway.. I can't see any neighbors which is fine with me. Less than a half acre is landscaped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey