Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 06:24 PM

8 posts, read 11,347 times

Advertisements

Take this survey <http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9VRBMB9>
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle4663 View Post
My house is a 4500 sq ft home with 6 bed and 6 bath. Every room has a private bathroom. It has an office, soon to be home theater, large kitchen, 2 combined living and family rooms, a breakfast room and dining room, two decks, a front porch, the cealing is 9ft tall even in the basement, pool and about 1.2 acres of land. Is this a mansion or mcmansion? Our house is surrounded with houses about the same size ranging from 3000ish to 5000ish
what about a lunch room and a dinner room?

Old 01-29-2013, 04:10 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,039,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielle4663 View Post
My house is a 4500 sq ft home with 6 bed and 6 bath. Every room has a private bathroom. It has an office, soon to be home theater, large kitchen, 2 combined living and family rooms, a breakfast room and dining room, two decks, a front porch, the cealing is 9ft tall even in the basement, pool and about 1.2 acres of land. Is this a mansion or mcmansion? Our house is surrounded with houses about the same size ranging from 3000ish to 5000ish
Classic McMansion or mini-Mansion. True mansions start at 10,000 sqft, but even those are smallish. Having appraised dozens of them, I would peg a true mansion as a home offering at least 15,000 square feet, not including basements or outbuildings. And most mansions have 3 floors of living space, although this is not a requirement.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Classic McMansion or mini-Mansion. True mansions start at 10,000 sqft, but even those are smallish. Having appraised dozens of them, I would peg a true mansion as a home offering at least 15,000 square feet, not including basements or outbuildings. And most mansions have 3 floors of living space, although this is not a requirement.
It's unlikely to be a McMansion given that description. However, I doubt it's even real. There's some obvious inconsistencies in the description.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's unlikely to be a McMansion given that description. However, I doubt it's even real. There's some obvious inconsistencies in the description.
like the 6 bed 6 bath, every bedroom with its own bath? so if im a guest for dinner and i have to drop a deuce, i need to go into someone's bedroom?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 AM

i believe the mcmansion term is founded on jealousy. people who have smaller houses but wish to see theirs as somehow better, so they attach a negative label of "mcmansion" to feel better about themselves.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
like the 6 bed 6 bath, every bedroom with its own bath? so if im a guest for dinner and i have to drop a deuce, i need to go into someone's bedroom?
Well, the lack of a powder room and a lack of a servant's washroom.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
i believe the mcmansion term is founded on jealousy. people who have smaller houses but wish to see theirs as somehow better, so they attach a negative label of "mcmansion" to feel better about themselves.
McMansion is used to describe large, prefabricated and cheaply constructed homes on small pieces of land. I wouldn't say people perceive it to be better or worse. Some people want the size and are willing to forgo the style while others prefer the style and more grass.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:41 AM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
It's possible, but originally, I believe it came more from disgust of watching developers mow down every last living tree they laid eyes on in NJ to put up these ridiculously-overblown houses with pretentious architectural details back in the 80s, often set on disproportionately small pieces of property. And then to make it look even stupider, they'd plant a couple of spindly saplings after they had cut down beautiful old-growth trees that would have at least added some legitimacy to the look of the house. That's when I remember the term first appearing.

You're not old enough to really remember the 80s, but it was a time best summarized by the American Express "Acquire It!" campaign. The idea was that the greatest aspiration you could have was to be rich, and if you couldn't be rich, you had to make it look as if you were. That's the target audience to which the McMansions first appealed.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:45 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,410 times
I saw homes being built that covered every foot of the lot except for maybe five feet around the border. It was a joke. A good portion of the mortgage crisis was from many taking out home equity loans in homes that were vastly over valued because of bogus estimates and create these monsters.

Then when the values came down to what should have been the true value in the first place they found themselves underwater. Laughable when they look to blame someone else for their own stupidity.

Yet it seems people haven't learned. No idea if it will get as bad as in the past.

Quote:
Latest Home Trend? House Sizes No Longer Decreasing
http://www.zillowblog.com/2012-07-13...er-decreasing/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey