Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 04:30 PM

14 posts, read 87,251 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I would like you to warn you about Jersey City. I go to Pershing Field swimming pool regularly, its a very good pool and the people in the pool are very nice. But, the kids that sit out of the pool on the bench are a bunch of A**H**es. They just sit there and comment people and sometimes even mug and beat them. I had a very bad experience few days back in the night, they mugged and beat me on my way back to home, and all this happened on Summit Ave at around 8 pm. I called the cops and the JC cops are such useless that they are even scared of kids and in one way I can say they r even racist. I heard many peoples experiences around that area and in Heights. Once 3 of my friends got mugged and beaten by 7 guys on Kennedy Blvd. These kids just hav a fun of beating people.

I would surely not recommend anyone to walk to Pershing Field pool especially in the nights. You never know when you find a bunch of guys surrounding you. I would like to know if anyone else had the same bad experience like me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2008, 09:17 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,240,700 times
I agree. I would not walk those streets at night in any parts of the Heights if I could avoid it. Most of the Heights is not safe.

Regarding cops...cops in any city environment see a lot of crazy sh*t. I have found most of them to be REALists, not racists. There's a difference.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:46 AM

1,908 posts, read 4,958,162 times
I am sorry that happened to you. I hope you are ok.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:02 AM

5,815 posts, read 12,571,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_user1981 View Post
Hi All,

I would like you to warn you about Jersey City. I go to Pershing Field swimming pool regularly, its a very good pool and the people in the pool are very nice. But, the kids that sit out of the pool on the bench are a bunch of A**H**es. They just sit there and comment people and sometimes even mug and beat them. I had a very bad experience few days back in the night, they mugged and beat me on my way back to home, and all this happened on Summit Ave at around 8 pm. I called the cops and the JC cops are such useless that they are even scared of kids and in one way I can say they r even racist. I heard many peoples experiences around that area and in Heights. Once 3 of my friends got mugged and beaten by 7 guys on Kennedy Blvd. These kids just hav a fun of beating people.

I would surely not recommend anyone to walk to Pershing Field pool especially in the nights. You never know when you find a bunch of guys surrounding you. I would like to know if anyone else had the same bad experience like me.
I have jogged around that field many times and never had a problem. As far of the cops being scared of kids on a bench, give me a break. The cops might have been lazy and incompetent, but scared of kids I don't think there are cowards. It's a city environment, you don't live in Mayberry. Crack one of them in the head with a bat and I bet they won't mess with ya.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:50 PM

Hi Jersey Man,

Even I roamed around there and played tennis over there for almost 1 and half year. Some of my told me that there are always someone who is watching u and not to roam alone in that area, but I rubbished them the same way as u did. U know wat, until it happens to u, u wont know about it. I fought them back, but they were almost 15 of them. I would say kids on the bicyles and sitting outside of the pool on the bench are bad and always harass, they dont even spare the elders. Its with my own experience that I am saying the cops are cowards(though not all of them), I saw 4 kids (around 16 to 18) mugging my friend, when we tried to help him, they showed us the knife they had with them. When a cop came there, we were showing him the kids who were just walking around 300 feet away from us, but the cop was like 'r u sure its them, what exactly happened'. He never chased them or called someone. But watever it might be, I would say that area is not good.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doorway View Post
I am sorry that happened to you. I hope you are ok.

Physically, I am fine. But mentally its affecting me, now I am very cautious when I see a group of 4 to 5 kids.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:23 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,912,352 times
Wow, I have to say, I grew up in JC in the 70's and 80's into the early 90's and Pershing Field area ALWAYS SUCKED and apparently still does. Too bad!

Sorry you had to go through that. I got "mugged" walking to school in 2nd grade. I lived on Grant Ave in JC and went to PS # 38 on Stegman. I got beaten and the kids stole my freaking candleholders that I was bringing for show & tell. It was 2 kids from Snyder that did it and the principal wouldn't even talk to my Mom after it happened. Then I had a similar incident in 38 school. That's when we moved to the Heights, whcih was actually nice back then, but the Pershing Field area was always sketchy at best.

I hope you stay safe! ....

Old 10-10-2008, 11:48 PM

303 posts, read 749,717 times
Yea the heights has been bad though. I've lived in Jersey City my whole life i'm 17 n have donw a few bad things my selfit juss dpends if u look at kennedy blvd facing tonnelle nothing bad happens but if ur facing central side den yea u could make an argument that the heights are bad. Much of what happens to sum of you (unfortunetly) is a growing problem in the heights a lot of robberies happen but you shouldnt be afraid. Never ever walk with ur head down, cuz if anyone see fear they will most likely act on it. Even wen i walk through the streets in the hieghts at night i dont get jumped or anything cuz i dont show fear. It could be cuz i been living here my whole life or juss simply im not scared at all. im telling you once u pick up a pipe or sumthing most of them would run away.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:17 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,357,874 times
I lived on sherman place (few blocks away). I used to to jog around the track in the morning and after work. Even played basketball. I walked my girls there few times. No issues. Moved out last year. Man, thats too bad. I thought that park was ok. Even ice skated there too.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC1990 View Post
Yea the heights has been bad though. I've lived in Jersey City my whole life i'm 17 n have donw a few bad things my selfit juss dpends if u look at kennedy blvd facing tonnelle nothing bad happens but if ur facing central side den yea u could make an argument that the heights are bad. Much of what happens to sum of you (unfortunetly) is a growing problem in the heights a lot of robberies happen but you shouldnt be afraid. Never ever walk with ur head down, cuz if anyone see fear they will most likely act on it. Even wen i walk through the streets in the hieghts at night i dont get jumped or anything cuz i dont show fear. It could be cuz i been living here my whole life or juss simply im not scared at all. im telling you once u pick up a pipe or sumthing most of them would run away.
Hey JC1990,

That was a nice reply, I think I have to do the same thing. I am carrying a small iron stick with me in my bag, If someone r going to mess with me, no matter watever happens I am going to use it. I think fighting back is the only solution for this kind of mugging which they do for fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey