Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2007, 04:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,229 times

Advertisements

Hi all, great forum and I would love to get some help trying to settle into the great state of New Jersey. I'll be working in a hospitals around central Jersey and my wife will need to be near a train to the city (preferablly less than 50 minutes to Manhattan). We want a really nice complex (read: new, gym, modern amenities, etc.) near a train station and, if a perfect world could exist, near other fun walkable stuff. I'd rather not be north of Newark.

We are not too picky as to apt/con/townhome. We are ready to spend a decent amount of money for such a place as long is its nice enough.

I really appreciate any responses and as I get to know more about the state will try to help people out too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 05:13 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,380,037 times
Check out Riverwalk in Rahway. I think there are still a few units available, and it should suit your needs. There's a lot of redevelopment going on in Rahway right now, so some amenitities may not quite be available yet, but they're coming (assuming all of the redevelopment plans go through).

Bob

Old 06-26-2007, 07:09 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersey! View Post
Hi all, great forum and I would love to get some help trying to settle into the great state of New Jersey. I'll be working in a hospitals around central Jersey and my wife will need to be near a train to the city (preferablly less than 50 minutes to Manhattan). We want a really nice complex (read: new, gym, modern amenities, etc.) near a train station and, if a perfect world could exist, near other fun walkable stuff. I'd rather not be north of Newark.

We are not too picky as to apt/con/townhome. We are ready to spend a decent amount of money for such a place as long is its nice enough.

I really appreciate any responses and as I get to know more about the state will try to help people out too.
This is the link for what Bob K told you

Diversified Communities

Old 06-27-2007, 09:27 AM

19 posts, read 135,058 times
Cranford and Garwood have built brand new condominiums and there are town homes being built by Kean University. All three have a train station within walking distance. I'm not sure of a link to see them. Contact a realtor and they should be able to help you.

Old 06-28-2007, 06:51 AM

116 posts, read 528,027 times
There are some in Bridgewater and Basking Ridge.

Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 7,229 times
Thanks for your responses so far. We will try to look at some of these communities. Its surprising how expensive Cranford can be for being sorta far away from the city.....!

Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 AM

116 posts, read 528,027 times
Cranford is expensive because it is relatively close to the city, and there is a "downtown" area. If you need help looking at homes, please let me know.

Old 06-28-2007, 05:23 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,931,268 times
Default Hoboken

Not sure if you have kids and need good schools - if you don't, then check out Hoboken. It has very nice, upscale complexes with all kinds of amenities, including the Tea House, where our governor has an apartment. It's a fun town with lots of things to do and lots of places to eat :-) And you can't get any closer to the city. It's a bit far from central Jersey but you'd be going against traffic, so it should't really be an issue.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:36 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,288 times
South Orange has new apartments (4 years old) next to the train station. 30 mins. to NYC. Walking distance to both South Orange and Maplewood business districts. There are also new condos/townhomes within 3 blocks of train.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:13 AM

10 posts, read 37,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susienj View Post
Cranford is expensive because it is relatively close to the city, and there is a "downtown" area. If you need help looking at homes, please let me know.
Absolutely Susie... You didn't specify where you are coming from but here in NJ "close to the city" means under a 1 hour commute. I agree that Cranford, Garwood or Westfield sound like good fits for your criteria. If you are looking for a more upscale urban environment then I would recommend Hoboken or Downtown Jersey City.

Red Bank in Monmouth county also nicely fits your criteria and would be my choice. NJ transit goes right through the town. Awesome downtown (Very Hip), 5 Minutes from the beach. Check it out.

PM me if you have any questions
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey