U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 07:31 AM

562 posts, read 2,449,949 times

Advertisements

you should definately do what you preach..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 03:21 PM
Status: "Thou Shalt Not Lick the Surfaces of the "T"" (set 9 days ago)

31,059 posts, read 68,905,712 times
Hello there. I figured that since this thread has descended into bickering, I'd chime in with a helpful reply. They also have "Permit Parking Only" signs here on some of Scranton's residential streets that are near to hospitals, schools, etc. so that the residents can have enough spots available without the daily parkers snatching them up. I believe you'd have to go to city hall to apply for and purchase one of these permits. Good luck, and I'm pleased to hear that someone is moving into Downtown Newark for a change. Hopefully more will follow, and your fair city will start to clean itself up.

Old 06-30-2007, 09:25 AM

3,233 posts, read 6,021,264 times
The New Jersey Devils are also moving into Newark this upcoming season to the Prudential Center. This shows that maybe Newark is cleaning itself up, now that they have a new state-of-the-art NHL arena.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:55 AM

1,346 posts, read 1,754,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The New Jersey Devils are also moving into Newark this upcoming season to the Prudential Center. This shows that maybe Newark is cleaning itself up, now that they have a new state-of-the-art NHL arena.
maybe yes, but probably not, Devils fans are going to pile in for the game and race like mad after the game to get out of town as fast as possible, and many of their few diehard fans will not even bother to go to games there.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:59 AM

9,124 posts, read 33,302,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
The move could also be because the city has paid 100% of the costs to construct the arena so far. Though the "deal" calls for the Devils to pay somewhere around $100 million toward the arena, they haven't kicked their money in yet. Not a bad deal for the Devils.

Meanwhile, as Kort said, people will be taking the train in, and getting right back out as soon as the games are over. There are no decent shops or restaurants within walking distance of the arena, so it'll be a "get in, get out" trip.

Bob

Old 06-30-2007, 12:28 PM

2,827 posts, read 5,476,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The move could also be because the city has paid 100% of the costs to construct the arena so far. Though the "deal" calls for the Devils to pay somewhere around $100 million toward the arena, they haven't kicked their money in yet. Not a bad deal for the Devils.

Meanwhile, as Kort said, people will be taking the train in, and getting right back out as soon as the games are over. There are no decent shops or restaurants within walking distance of the arena, so it'll be a "get in, get out" trip.

Bob
There are decent restaurants in the Ironbound and nice new sports bars right on Mulberry.
And not for nothin' but the Devils had to give a 100 million letter of credit to the City of Newark so the intent is there.
Additionally, just because there isn't stuff there right now doesn't mean there won't be...I mean, the arena isn't even finished yet

Old 06-30-2007, 12:36 PM

If you go on hf boards you'll see that a lot of Devils fans really hated the CAA. Newark's late-night eating options are limited, CAA's after-game eating options were zero. (excluding of course, the expensive concessions. Of which the Pru will have 2 restaurants I believe)

Old 06-30-2007, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
There are decent restaurants in the Ironbound and nice new sports bars right on Mulberry.
And not for nothin' but the Devils had to give a 100 million letter of credit to the City of Newark so the intent is there.
Additionally, just because there isn't stuff there right now doesn't mean there won't be...I mean, the arena isn't even finished yet
it won;t happen, games end after 10 pm, the devils have trouble drawing weeknight crowds as it is, the fans have jobs to go to, they won't be going out after games. whomever is selling this nonsense hasn't studied devils fans too well

Old 06-30-2007, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
it won;t happen, games end after 10 pm, the devils have trouble drawing weeknight crowds as it is, the fans have jobs to go to, they won't be going out after games. whomever is selling this nonsense hasn't studied devils fans too well
I'm telling you...check the hf boards full of Devil's fans. Devils fans hate the NJSEA and CAA. Hell, even the Nets had trouble selling out weeknight games and that's a good team to watch. The fact is, it's just too hard to get to CAA from the rest of NJ. That's why a lot of fans emptied out well before the games are over (Nets and Devils). I've only been to 3 Devs games my whole life but the tradition of leaving early is the same whether its Nets or Devils
-Hockey doesn't get the same love as the NBA and most of the league does suffer from relatively low attendance(the Devs were the 3rd worse I believe). BUT I'm sure we've all at one point or another have seen a Nets crowd on a weeknight. The amount of empty maroon chairs is staggering. CAA sucks
-The long-standing idea is that NJ can't support a team is unfair because we got our arena in what must be the most uninteresting part of the state (swamp...and Xanadu's too little too late).
HOWEVER, if the area around the arena is 4-5 years down the line as it is now then they may as well not have built it.

Old 06-30-2007, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
I'm telling you...check the hf boards full of Devil's fans. Devils fans hate the NJSEA and CAA. Hell, even the Nets had trouble selling out weeknight games and that's a good team to watch. The fact is, it's just too hard to get to CAA from the rest of NJ. That's why a lot of fans emptied out well before the games are over (Nets and Devils). I've only been to 3 Devs games my whole life but the tradition of leaving early is the same whether its Nets or Devils
-Hockey doesn't get the same love as the NBA and most of the league does suffer from relatively low attendance(the Devs were the 3rd worse I believe). BUT I'm sure we've all at one point or another have seen a Nets crowd on a weeknight. The amount of empty maroon chairs is staggering. CAA sucks
-The long-standing idea is that NJ can't support a team is unfair because we got our arena in what must be the most uninteresting part of the state (swamp...and Xanadu's too little too late).
HOWEVER, if the area around the arena is 4-5 years down the line as it is now then they may as well not have built it.
you really don't know, you've been to 3 devils games? I had season seats for many years, 90% of the fans had no issues about getting to the games, 90% also felt that the building itself stunk, 40% said they'd never go to newark, the big claim about newark is that you can get there via mass transit, big deal! most people will not consider using mass transit and the parking at the new arena will be a disaster, driving in and out of CAA was a snap, if you did it more than a few times and knew the ropes, driving in and out of newark is a nightmare.
Like I said maybe it will work, maybe it won't, based on past performance like the baseball team which has done zilch for the town and the PAC.
people who go to shows at the PAC run in and run out, few people actually go out to dinner in Newark before a show at the PAC and they race like mad to leave when the show is over.
I think this arena will turn into a boondoggle and the devils will probably move to canada within 10 years of going to newark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or