Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2010, 03:17 PM

1 posts, read 1,527 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving from Boston to NJ. He will be working in Florham Park and i'll be commuting into Manhattan near Union Square. We want an apartment that is fairly new to rent under $1700/month and make the commute equal for both of us.

I'll be taking public transit - is it normal for everyone to commute an hr into the city by train if you live outside of hoboken/weehawken/jc?

what towns should we consider? and most importantly what towns should we stay away from.

please help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 04:37 PM

5,771 posts, read 16,578,952 times
You should be in fine shape with that kind of budget. Yes Manhattan is a royal pain to crawl, swim, dive or whatever to every day, being on an island, esp one where the Nooh Yuckers think everything revolves around them and no one lives anywhere else, meaning they don't improve commuter connections almost ever.
Stay away from most urban areas I would say. Check most of the other posts for info or PM me or see how this thread develops.
Most of the time commuting into NYC is getting to the bus or train or ferry, waiting, getting from wherever your transportation drops you off to your destination, and the reverse on the way back to America.

I used to do it before all the "improvements" which make it harder and longer.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:03 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenie1227 View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving from Boston to NJ. He will be working in Florham Park and i'll be commuting into Manhattan near Union Square. We want an apartment that is fairly new to rent under $1700/month and make the commute equal for both of us.

I'll be taking public transit - is it normal for everyone to commute an hr into the city by train if you live outside of hoboken/weehawken/jc?

what towns should we consider? and most importantly what towns should we stay away from.

please help!!
Yes. And for some of us, it's normal to commute two hours.

I'm not familiar with Florham Park, though.

You can start by looking at towns on train lines or check bus schedules here:
http://www.njtransit.com/hp/hp_servl...ion=HomePageTo

Old 08-21-2010, 11:16 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,395,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teenie1227 View Post

please help!!
when i lived in Hoboken, it took me 55 minutes, door to door, to get to my office near grand central. now i live in west orange, and the time i still worked in the city, it took me 60-70 minutes (usually 60), door to door, to get to my office. and that was with a post-op ACL knee surgery, so i wasn't walking at the pace I normally do.

point is - hoboken is close, but only if you're working right near the stops to the PATH. otherwise, you're commute by bus into PABT could land you closer to your office.

boston? stay in boston, we don't need any more red sox fans down here!

just kidding.

i think you could score a nice place in morristown, if you're a young couple. have some fun for a few years before you buy. his commute is gonna be easy. it's not really going to be an equal commute.

Old 08-21-2010, 05:18 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,660,872 times
Another thing you could do is live in one of the towns on the Morris/Essex line. Towns like Summit, Milburn, and Orange offer fewer night life options than Morristown, but they'll save you some time on your commute.

Montclair/Bloomfield could also be options, but they are on a different train line--you might have to transfer to get to NY Penn.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey