Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:51 PM

49 posts, read 149,288 times

Advertisements

There are no birth centers in NJ. The last one shut down about 15 years ago. Many hospitals claim to have "birth centers" but it is still the hospital; NOT a freestanding birth center. You will still have hospital charges. A midwife in the hospital will not be any cheaper than an OB in a hospital. You still have the delivery charges from the OB or midwife + the hospital charges. Midwives work with or under OBs in the hospital. I don't think you will save much (if anything) by not having many prenatal visits here. Doctors or midwives are paid for attending the delivery.

A homebirth in this state will run you $5000-6000 for the services of a homebirth midwife but many midwives will not do homebirth for women that they meet after 30 weeks of pregnancy.

Your best bet for avoiding a c-section in the hospital (to keep your costs down) is to show up at the last possible minute (not easy to do this!). If you labor for too long in the hospital, there is a good chance you will wind up with a c-section for a prolonged labor. I hate to say this but NJ is one of the worst states to birth in, especially if you want to avoid interventions that will jack up your bill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 03:16 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
there was a birth center attached to pascack valley hospital.

why hate to say it, it is the truth. I think C section rate is like 50% in NJ. it is at least 1/3. that is not to say it cannot be controlled.

women in 2010 NJ consider a vaginal birth with an epidural "natural"!!!

i think you are right though. if you have the baby in the hospital a midwife or OB is not going to be much or any cheaper. in fact an OB may be cheaper.

what can cut costs down is do not take drugs, do not have a c-section, and go home as quickly as possible (also will help you to rest,since you cannot get any rest in a hospital).

i think 6000-8000 is usually the midwife package price for prenatal care and home delivery with no discount for people who make this decision later on in pregnancy.

check out the "bradley method" for more information on natural birth.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:21 AM
GJM

465 posts, read 1,879,762 times
The closer you get to your due date, I had to go to the Dr. weekly.

Would you even be able to fly at 8 months. If you have been seeing a Dr. where you are why not just deliver there?

Old 08-26-2010, 08:46 PM

49 posts, read 149,288 times
Pascack Valley hospital closed a couple years ago. But, yes, there was once a freestanding birth center near there (which closed something like 10 or 15 years ago) and the midwives began attending births at the hospital. It's a shame that hospital closed. And, yes, the c-section rate in NJ is 40%!!! Doctors are now just telling many women to schedule c-sections because their babies are too big for vaginal birth. It's a little scary but they will tell you that they can't deal with the malpractice premiums anymore. It's safer for them to do c-sections because moms can't sue over c-sections. I'm really sorry that there is no way to have a cheap birth in NJ. Like the previous poster said, you want to avoid as many interventions as possible. Stay at home until you feel like you need to push so that the hospital can't force pitocin or pain meds on you (well, no one can force you but they can do a darn good job of coercing you).

Old 09-01-2010, 03:09 AM

24 posts, read 58,196 times
why dont you get insurance..its so expensive to give birth without insurance...

Old 09-01-2010, 10:10 AM

38 posts, read 112,633 times
It will be much less expensive in the long run to get insurance, that way you can go to a hospital and have the medical professionals and equipment available when needed. Do you have insurance now for the country you are currently in? Have you looked at that policy and reviewed what their coverage is for hospital stays internationally? Have you talked to your doctor about travelling during the last term of your pregancy? Also check with the airline you intend to fly with, some have restrictions on allowing passengers to fly with them within the last few weeks before your due date [the following list is from 2006 and most probably been updated, but it will give you a general idea - Airline policies for pregnant travelers | BabyCenter]. Is it possible to stay in your present location so you can be with the doctor who has been providing pre-natal care for the first eight months and is aware of all your medical history during pregnancy?

Old 01-06-2015, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 3,572 times
I'm a nigeria citizen and would like to know if I can get a health insurance plan that covers child delivery in the US? The costs are so high

Old 01-07-2015, 08:44 AM

800 posts, read 1,296,435 times
my wife birth at RWJUH was about 16k worth of bills that insurance covered. the cheapest method for you is to get insurance, there is no such thing as a cheap option for birth at a hospital. if you are actually from the USA and had insurance as you mentioned you would know this already.

Old 01-07-2015, 02:19 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rom-flex View Post
I'm a nigeria citizen and would like to know if I can get a health insurance plan that covers child delivery in the US? The costs are so high
Are you currently living in Nigeria or the US? If Nigeria, why are you planning on having your baby here?

Old 01-07-2015, 03:33 PM

244 posts, read 597,689 times
I just had a baby in NJ. I got a bill for both me And my baby for about $3k each with good insurance. It would have been around $40k without the insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey