Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,073,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenmomnov29 View Post
Hello All,

I am seriously considering moving to Millburn, NJ for the schools. We will buy a "bottom of the rung" house and will not have the kind of money others have there. I grew up in Scarsdale, NY in a very similar situation. I however disdain the snobbyness I grew up with and am a very down to earth person. I am very concerned that I will not make friends there and that my son will have to deal with the same kinds of things I dealt with as a kid. In Scarsdale there were certain neighborhoods that were more down to earth. My question is are there areas in Millburn that are more down to earth and /or a bit more alternative? BTW I would much prefer to move to Maplewood - I just feel a huge inner drive to send my son to Millburn schools.

Using your own experience, was it worth it growing up in such a town just because of the schools' reputation? The best part about NJ is there are towns for everyone with varying degrees of income and school performance. You'd seemingly do better in a town like Montclair or Glen Rock, but then again I'm not an expert on Millburn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 08:42 PM

4 posts, read 5,270 times
Yes, that very well may be your child's experience. I know many families in Millburn, some very wealthy, some just upper middle class- all down to earth, kind but they pay big bucks for expensive cars, camps. Great school district but there is a reputation for elitism in that district. Please please please consider New Providence instead. It seems much more appropriate from what you've posted. And the best teachers in the state . Only downside that some people may find is that it is a very small town for union county, and not diverse. But check it out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey