Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:10 PM

31 posts, read 48,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSLX View Post
Do you know what's mind boggling other than the Christie $400 million screw-up ?

What I find almost fascinating is the " Deafening Silence" from the normally Loud and Boisterous Anti- Corzine, Anti-Obama fanatics.

If Jim McGreevey or Frank Lautenberg, both Democrats committed a serious $ 400 million dollar Mistake- these fanatics would be all over City-Data, the streets of Jersey, the steps of Trenton calling for a RESIGNATION of McGreevey or Lautenberg.

This is why you Never Ever Take these so called " movements", so called " activists"seriously.

They are "Not" a movement. In this specific case, these a fanatical Republican base hacks masquerading themselves as Tea Party activists.
Of the hundreds of anti-corzine, anti-obama comments you read "WEEKLY" on NJ City-Data, I have yet to find any of the "regular" posters condemning Christie's $400 Million Disaster ! NADA! NOTHING !

There is absolutely No Credibility !
P.S. This is the "Exact" same scenario as the " Deficit Mess". When Bush racked up $ 1.3 Trillion in Deficits ( the highest of ANY President in history), absolute SILENCE from these people.

When Obama took office, the Very Same People became "OVERNIGHT" Deficit hawks. Every program, every project that Obama spent as President was Judged " WASTE OF MONEY, NO GOOD FOR the DEFICIT" Its really an insult to the intelligence of educated people.
No. whats most insulting in all this is the tea party/republican loyalist activists who "hypocritically" say that it was good for our state not to get the $400 million.
At least the Governor and Mr, Schundler both publicly admitted that "the state could have really used the $ 400 Mill.
Its the people who Go Nuts about Waste & Spending, who are now brushing this Grave Mistake as no big deal that is most troublesome.

If we were in Alabama, Mississippi- I would not be surprised. Why? because they have a large base of "Less educated, Poor" population.

But in the state of New Jersey ????

I guess we have our own version of Sarah Palin's in the garden state.
I don't know if its hypocrisy, misinformed, ill informed, or worse !

Maybe that explains why the #1 best public school town in NJ-Millburn, who happens to have one of the Wealthiest zip code in the state & one of the Highest holders of Bachelors/Masters degrees always vote for Democrats in 90% of the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 PM

72 posts, read 107,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So lets say abbott funding went away. Then what would happen? Do those towns have enough money to pay for their schools?
Why don't I add a twist to your question Manderly6.

For those of you have the mentality, " F the Abbot districts, Screw these poor Cities, cut them out, NJ does not need them, We don't need them". Those with these mentality who are 98% from the right of the political spectrum, republican & conservative.

Assuming we follow this mentality that is pretty much advocated by right of center Jerseyans, conservative right republican politicians led by Gov. Sarah Palin of Alaska, Gov.Haley Barbour of Mississipi, Senators Jeff Sessions & Dick Shelby of Alabama, Sen. John Thune of South Dakota and
many many more national republicans & its pundits led by Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Sean Hannity.

Ok. lets do it that way. So I guess it will be OKAY, ACCEPTABLE, AWESOME then for " Those States who SEND BILLIONS of DOLLARS of REVENUE to the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT & in turn, RECEIVE MUCH MUCH LESS BACK money back from the Federal Government - TO STOP SENDING ANY EXCESS of OUR DOLLARS to USA which is BEING USED by these POORER STATES ?????

That's the Real Money Cow, the real deal.

Do you know the Number 1 State that Sends the Most Dollars to Uncle Sam who in turn Gets the LEAST money back ???

Guess? the state of NEW JERSEY

For every $ 1 dollar we send the Gov't in the last 30 years, We ONLY receive about 62 cents for every dollar that we send !

Now for you die hard conservatives with that mentality.

Listen up.

Who the the top states who like NJ, send MORE, and receive LESS ???

Guess what? What COLOR are these states????

NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, CONNECTICUT, MASSACHUSETTS, COLORADO, ILLINOIS, NEW HAMSPHERE, CALIFORNIA, MINNESOTTA .....

Should I continue??? The so called " Liberal Blue States". The ones they like to call High Tax Spending Liberal States that are MOCKED every day by so called RED CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICANS.

Yet, these same politicians LITERALLY DEPEND & NEED our Blue butt dollars for their states survival.

Who are some of the LARGEST BENEFICIARY of DOLLARS ? ( States that send MUCH LESS & RECEIVE much more from the Federal Gov't??

ALASKA ( hey Sarah Palin, why don't you ever mention this? How dependent your state is to Uncle Sam & to these stupid Liberal blue states)

MISSISSIPPI, ALABAMA, SOUTH DAKOTA, NORTH DAKOTA,KENTUCKY, OKLAHOMA, on and on and on......

My fellow americans, this is the Ultimate Lie, the Ultimate Hypocrisy that is SOLD by so called Red State Conservatives at the EXPENSE of so called
Progressive/Liberal/Wealthy States.

They MOCK , RIDICULE states like New York, California, Masschusetts, New Jersey & the Federal Government as bastions of liberalism - YET....

their BUTTS would be living like 3rd World countries IF NOT for our dollars.

Yes Our dollars!!!

Do you ever hear conservatives talk about that ???? NO

Does Limbaugh, Beck, Palin ever talk about that ???? NO

Do Conservative Senators & Governors ever mention this to the media ???
NO NO NO

Now tell me? Should we start implementing ME, ME, ME as a mentality.

Coz if we did, I suspect Millions upon Millions of americans are going to be HURTING BIG TIME because of some Fanatical Ideology by Political leaders who ACTUALLY benefit from the SAME SYSTEM that they condemn !

Good Night!

Old 08-25-2010, 07:57 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,123,839 times
I find it funny that some people are so dead against one party or the other. Have people really not figured out that they both suck?

Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,421 times
Default Generally speaking, suburban residents pay for their own schools as well as urban schools. (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Generally speaking, suburban residents pay for their own schools as well as urban schools.

Generally speaking, suburban residents pay for their own schools through their property taxes. Some suburban districts receive small percentages of aid from the state, but it's seldom much.

Generally speaking, suburban residents pay for urban schools through their income taxes. Most urban districts generate such a paltry sum through their own property taxes that the state pays the bulk of the expense to run the district.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
That's not really true, because the vast majority of state income tax revenue comes from a very small percentage of tax payers.

So the vast majority of the costs of these urban schools are in fact born by those who contribute nearly all of the income tax revenue, which are the top one or two percent of income earners. It's probably true that most of those 1-2% live in the suburbs, but the converse is false -- the typical suburban resident is not in that top one or two percent.
Let's double-check our claims and statistics.

Though it's true that the wealthy pay the largest share of NJ's income tax burden, middle class New Jerseyans pay a sizable share too. NJ's income tax burden is much more widely distributed than the "top one or two percent of income earners" whom you allege contribute "nearly all of the income tax revenue". That's simply not true.

Indeed, taxpayers with annual incomes between $50,000 and $200,000 pay in about 30% of total state income tax revenues in NJ. Those with incomes between $200,000 and $500,000 pay in another 20%.

Don't take my word for it: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/soi_tables2007.pdf and check out Table 3.1.

And yes, big income earners of more than half a million dollars -- those top one or two percent you refer to, (BTW a very close estimate -- 1.7% according to Table B,) pay in 45% of income tax revenues; for which I am grateful! Thank you, wealthy people -- and I say that with all sincerity. Without the wealthy, we'd all be in deep dung. (Another reason why it was ludicrous for the NJEA to scream about raising taxes on "the rich". Pathetically poor political decision to try restoring school funding by soaking the rich -- but that's a topic for another thread.)

But back top my original point, which I believe is sufficiently supported by the references provided above... Yes, it is really true that the typical suburban resident is in the group of taxpayers funding urban schools through their income tax payments. Generally speaking, of course.

I accept the fact that some urban dwellers also pay income taxes and therefore support their own schools, but we're in agreement that the vast majority of income tax revenues come from suburbanites. (Check Tables 6.x for county stats. I couldn't find a breakdown by municipality.)

Old 08-25-2010, 09:32 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,421 times
Quote:
So lets say abbott funding went away. Then what would happen? Do those towns have enough money to pay for their schools?
Presently, New Jersey's urban districts cannot support themselves.
Think of it this way: A community's schools are much like its citizens.
If its citizens are self-supporting, so are the schools.
If its citizens are relying on state handouts, so are its schools.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
I find it funny that some people are so dead against one party or the other. Have people really not figured out that they both suck?
all i hear is "blah blah blah blah blah" anymore.

where's the cappuccino party? anyone want to get together tomorrow?

Old 08-25-2010, 10:23 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,394,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Let's double-check our claims and statistics.

Though it's true that the wealthy pay the largest share of NJ's income tax burden, middle class New Jerseyans pay a sizable share too. NJ's income tax burden is much more widely distributed than the "top one or two percent of income earners" whom you allege contribute "nearly all of the income tax revenue". That's simply not true.

Indeed, taxpayers with annual incomes between $50,000 and $200,000 pay in about 30% of total state income tax revenues in NJ. Those with incomes between $200,000 and $500,000 pay in another 20%.

Don't take my word for it: http://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/pubs/soi_tables2007.pdf and check out Table 3.1.

And yes, big income earners of more than half a million dollars -- those top one or two percent you refer to, (BTW a very close estimate -- 1.7% according to Table B,) pay in 45% of income tax revenues; for which I am grateful! Thank you, wealthy people -- and I say that with all sincerity. Without the wealthy, we'd all be in deep dung. (Another reason why it was ludicrous for the NJEA to scream about raising taxes on "the rich". Pathetically poor political decision to try restoring school funding by soaking the rich -- but that's a topic for another thread.)

But back top my original point, which I believe is sufficiently supported by the references provided above... Yes, it is really true that the typical suburban resident is in the group of taxpayers funding urban schools through their income tax payments. Generally speaking, of course.

I accept the fact that some urban dwellers also pay income taxes and therefore support their own schools, but we're in agreement that the vast majority of income tax revenues come from suburbanites. (Check Tables 6.x for county stats. I couldn't find a breakdown by municipality.)
i bet there's a decent amount of those $200,000+ earners in Hoboken and Jersey City in those nice penthouse apartments and the many million dollar apartments. Is that suburbia?

hehehe

Old 08-26-2010, 05:38 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Quote:
NO!! But for the life of me I don't understand why Hoboken is still an Abbott district

Old 08-26-2010, 06:02 AM

13,399 posts, read 28,712,493 times
Just read the latest morning news on this issue.

I like Christie, I voted for him but if what I'm reading is true I'm sadly disappointed.
Christie needs to man up & accept responsibility for the error & not blame Obama or Obama's administration. To say someone reveiwing the application should have phoned NJ or looked up the info themselves on the internet is ludicrous and the statement is making you look like a fool Gov Christie.
As a lawyer and former state attorney he should be well versed in how these applications work.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:57 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,534,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Just read the latest morning news on this issue.

I like Christie, I voted for him but if what I'm reading is true I'm sadly disappointed.
Christie needs to man up & accept responsibility for the error & not blame Obama or Obama's administration. To say someone reveiwing the application should have phoned NJ or looked up the info themselves on the internet is ludicrous and the statement is making you look like a fool Gov Christie.
As a lawyer and former state attorney he should be well versed in how these applications work.

Christie is the typical politician that refuse to take responsibility for his miguided actions. The thing that really **** me off about the diareah of the mouth he's having on this blunder is this, Christie was on Morning Joe yesterday patting himself on the back that "taxes have NOT gone up in NJ". State tax, local tax a tax is a tax. The actions and definitely now the inactions of Christie and his administration guarantee's the middle class will continue to pay for this blunder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey