Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 11:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,191 times

Advertisements

mat some one please tell me what makes an illegal apartment in hudson county.. where should i call for an inspector.. is there any checklist i should know about.. i recently moved in a basement of a house.. iam not sure if its an illegal apartment.. ita a one family house and i live in the basement the only thing is that the basement has its own address.. which confusses me.. how tall should the cealings be. and must i be provided with a gas stove.. srry for the questionsss,,,,,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 08:13 AM

1 posts, read 5,130 times
Hi JCParalegal:

My circumstances though very similar, differ a bit. I lived in a house where I was rented the basement apartment. It was illegal bc it was registered as a one family house. There were no cooking devices in the basement. I used the common house. They rented me the downstairs for $1,000.00 per month. It was an oral agreement. No lease was executed. Upon them selling the house they advised me that I had to leave the apartment. I was scheduled to leave on September 2, 2010 and they accelerated my moved to August 25, 2010 because the Building Inspector was coming and they did not want my bed and living room furniture to be seen. At no time did they offer me moving expenses. I incurred the moving expense. As a matter of fact I did not have the money to move and I had to borrow it from them because the movers I contracted were going to charge me much cheaper than the ones I had to contract overnight. Now they want me to pay them back the money they gave me to move. I am almost sure that they also did not report my payment of rent there as income in their income taxes. What remedies do I have.

Old 01-13-2011, 10:48 AM

2 posts, read 6,203 times
can you give me the statues for newyork, i rented an apartment and did not know it was illegal, i have disabled for the past 7 months and owed for the month of december, he has a court date for march and he sued me for dec and jan. i owe him , i understand dec, not jan since the town came 3rd week in dec so i had to agree to pay jan, to me that is like giving diamonds to a theif where do i stand do i have any rights and how did he get away with this

Old 04-26-2011, 06:12 AM

6 posts, read 24,633 times
What about the landlord/tenant laws in New York? Are they similar to New Jersey's? I am in exactly the same situation, renting an illegal basement apartment for the past 10 months, paying the rent on time. I am moving due to problems with the landlord (entering my apt. without any prior notice, walking in without knocking, etc, not cleaning up after his dogs in the yard and the main thing - the water in the apartment is groundwater which comes up through the floor. Any suggestions? Thanks. (I plan on going to court if necessary)

Old 05-06-2011, 09:58 PM

8 posts, read 29,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
JC, just wanted to say - *GREAT* info. Wish there were more posts like yours - this doesn't even apply to me, but I'm glad I now know a bit more when it comes to renting
I AGREE 1000% MY LANDLADY THIKS SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS CRAZY ***** HAS SOMETHING COMING TO HER AND I CANT WAIT. THE OLE DENENTS ARE WILLING TO COME TO COURT AND OR WRITE LETTERS ABOUT HOW SHE THINKS SHE CAN JUST WALK INTO THEIR PLACE WITHOUT PERMISSION, ESPECIALLY KIMBA, I JUST CANT WAIT FOR THIS DAY TO COME. THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT THE BETTER I FEEL ABOUT WHAT I AM DOING.. SCREW HER ,LOL

Old 05-07-2011, 05:50 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joannenewbrunswick View Post
I AGREE 1000% MY LANDLADY THIKS SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THIS CRAZY ***** HAS SOMETHING COMING TO HER AND I CANT WAIT. THE OLE DENENTS ARE WILLING TO COME TO COURT AND OR WRITE LETTERS ABOUT HOW SHE THINKS SHE CAN JUST WALK INTO THEIR PLACE WITHOUT PERMISSION, ESPECIALLY KIMBA, I JUST CANT WAIT FOR THIS DAY TO COME. THE MORE I THINK ABOUT IT THE BETTER I FEEL ABOUT WHAT I AM DOING.. SCREW HER ,LOL

Thank you for sharing that with us.

Old 05-07-2011, 06:32 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joannenewbrunswick View Post
Don't you have a lock on your door?

Old 05-07-2011, 07:42 AM

19,126 posts, read 25,331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Don't you have a lock on your door?
First, it would be nice if she found the Caps Lock button on her keyboard before she posts any more rants.

"Especially Kimba"?
Ummmm...sure.
We all know what Kimba is like!

Old 08-01-2011, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 4,701 times
Lightbulb how do you know when it's illegal?

hi,
i recently learned I am living in an illegal three family house. it is only zoned as a two family house. it was a one family house with a legal basement apartment that made up the legal two family house.

the landlord split the first and second floor into two apartments making it an illegal three family. so my question to you legal eagles is, which of the two apartments becomes the illegal one, the first floor or the second floor? or is the whole house considered illegal now???

thanks
ziggy

Old 10-05-2011, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,619 times
I'm a landlord rented out the above ground Two story basement in an brand new house gave the tenent a great deal she loved it after 7 month of paying rent she started to ignore my calls for 3 month as well as paying the rent. when i approached her she said to me she wants all her rent back that she paid plus security and all moving expenses I offered her 6xmonth rent she said no and she threatend me to call the DOB what should I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey