U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 08:46 AM

15,148 posts, read 18,384,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakeia Williams View Post
Hi i live in Roselle nj and i wanted to know if my apartment will be consided illegal if the apartment was never inspected by the building department to declare that it meet the standards for rental
How would you know if it was inspected prior to your occupancy?
Perhaps it was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 08:08 AM

1 posts, read 726 times
Default Current situation

Hi

I am currently living in an illegal apartment due to zoning. I would like to know if I can get your office contact information if you are practicing in the Hudson county area.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:44 PM

15,148 posts, read 18,384,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyL View Post
Hi

I am currently living in an illegal apartment due to zoning. I would like to know if I can get your office contact information if you are practicing in the Hudson county area.

To whom are you addressing that question?
I think that you are assuming--incorrectly--that you are dealing with a panel of attorneys in this forum.

Old 10-15-2016, 02:45 PM

8 posts, read 5,691 times
Is this a fact or assumption?

Old 11-22-2016, 09:14 AM

7 posts, read 7,827 times
Hello all. I see JC has not written a post in 7 years. So he likely doesn't revisit this thread. Since he originally posted in 2007, does anyone know if there been any significant changes to tenant-landlord law that would conflict with JC's original post?

Thanks and thanks to JC for providing the knowledge!!

Old 11-22-2016, 09:50 AM

3,275 posts, read 2,543,771 times
Don't forget their most pertinent part at the very end:

"Do not take legal advice from the building inspector, people online, etc. Get a lawyer who specializes in Landlord/Tenant matters to handle this for you. Do not get someone who does not specialize in L/T as they will not be aware of recent case law that affects your situation. "

Don't take legal advice from strangers off the internet, no matter how well meaning they might be.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 523 times
I live a basement apartment in Passaic county nj . My landlord is threatening to have me evicted because he wants to raise the rent and its to much and not what the place is worth. so your telling me that they would have to pay me 6x my rent before i would have to leave?

Old 01-18-2017, 12:58 PM

3,275 posts, read 2,543,771 times
Depends, is your basement apartment illegal? Does it have sprinklers? More than one exit? The correct ceiling heights? You cannot assume all basement apartments are illegal.

Old 04-01-2019, 12:46 AM

1 posts, read 167 times
Question Bunch of dirt bags scamming homeowners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Ann Matthews View Post
Back in 2007 I lived in an illegal apt in Fair Lawn Nj and my landlord had to give me back every dolar i paid her in rent. I was there for a year at 900 per month. So whats the deal with 6 times the monthly rent? I used NorthEast Legal Services and they were great.My Mom is now being asked to leave an illegal basement apt in Lyndhurst Nj and I am about to call the service I used. I am proof they you can get every dollar you gave in rent back. So I guess it depends on the town you live in. Don't you think?If you know anything that could help with my elderly,disabled Moms case please I am open. Thanks Your reply then was "urban legend" i was juleluvs john.
I guess you liked that living in the basement so much and the whole family of yours are professionals . Hope noone ever lets these dirt-bags in the house.Sorry for every homeowner who let dirt bag-scammers in. Let every dirt bag be homeless.
Certain basement apartments in one and two-family homes in East New York will be able to become legal under a city pilot program intended to provide a legal path for a common and affordable form of housing.

A new law to authorize the pilot was signed by Mayor Bill de Blasio on Monday. The legislation creates a three-year initiative overseen by Department of Housing Preservation and Development during which low- to middle-income homeowners of one- to three-family homes in East New York and Cypress Hills can apply for low or no-interest loans to convert their basements and cellars into legal dwellings.

Other homeowners outside of these neighborhoods may also seek legalization on their own, without city funding, according to HPD.

The city will allocate $12 million for HPD to cover program staffing costs, implement and manage the program, along with loan amounts for the construction of 40 homes. The maximum loan per homeowner is $120,000.

“There are thousands of basement apartments in our City, but too many are illegal and unsafe. This program will help New Yorkers secure safe, affordable homes and give homeowners a new legal source of income,” said the mayor in a press release.

Seeking to make basement and cellar conversions easier, the new law revises the city’s building code on minimum ceiling heights — from 8 feet to 7.5 feet — and window sizes in basements, while also tightening the guidelines for emergency exits and fire safety. A basement is defined as a unit that has at least one-half of its height above the curb level, while a cellar has more than one-half of its height below the curb.

The bill was originally sponsored three years ago by Councilmember Brad Lander. However, the campaign to make basement apartments legal in New York goes back more than a decade.

There are an estimated 114,000 basement apartments in New York City, with the majority of them in the outer boroughs, according to a 2008 report by Chhaya, a community development corporation that advocates for housing needs of South Asian New Yorkers, and the Pratt Center for Community Development.

Chhaya began pushing for legislation after seeing a high rate of foreclosures in southern Queens after homeowners bought homes with the intent of renting out basement apartments, only to have them ruled to be illegal by the city, according to William Spisak, the group’s director of programs.

East New York was selected for the pilot program because during the 2016 rezoning of the Brooklyn neighborhood, the suggestion of legalizing basements as a way of stemming the effects of gentrification was raised during community meetings convened by Councilmember Rafael Espinal.

Should the program prove successful and be applied citywide, preliminary estimates suggest legalized basements could contribute an estimated 5,000 affordable housing units, according to a November 2018 City Council report.

“"Finding a path to create safe, legal basement apartments that will add to our city’s affordable housing stock while stabilizing homeowners is an idea whose time has come,” said HPD Commissioner Maria Torres-Springer, in a statement.

Old 04-01-2019, 11:51 AM

1,352 posts, read 1,065,271 times
This is NJ, DeBlasio is mayor of NYC, different zoning laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey