Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 08:47 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,366,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
yeah. darn laws. why do police have to enforce them? they're so wrong! everyone should just drive whatever speed they want. i'm sure it would work really well in NJ too, since the drivers here are so responsible and talented!
I guess you're answering captne76. FWIW I agree with your response here. We ALL want to fault "the cops", when we're caught breaking laws, and then we all want to get a clean-pass when we're caught. Weird, aint it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 10:01 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
I guess you're answering captne76. FWIW I agree with your response here. We ALL want to fault "the cops", when we're caught breaking laws, and then we all want to get a clean-pass when we're caught. Weird, aint it?
i wish those cops would do their jobs and stop sitting around at dunkin donuts wasting taxpayer money!

but - how can i get out of my speeding ticket? damn cop, he's out to get me! why can't he just go sit at dunkin donuts!

Old 08-25-2010, 11:06 PM

5,772 posts, read 16,588,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
i wish those cops would do their jobs and stop sitting around at dunkin donuts wasting taxpayer money!

but - how can i get out of my speeding ticket? damn cop, he's out to get me! why can't he just go sit at dunkin donuts!
Well traffic and the movement thereof is absolutely NO business of any police officer. They grabbed onto it with the advent of motorized mobility of humanity in general, everyone kind of accepted it, but IT IS NOT any of their business. They should concentrate on police matters and business unless they are asked to help in a specific situation. They have no right to patrol or issue summonses in traffic matters, we just let them, similar to the way we became conditioned to pull over like salivating dogs at the sight of a rotating red light.

My 2 cents anyway. Rant mode off.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:57 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,662,922 times
So then you condone Driving Under the Influence? Reckless Operation? A total disregard to the traffic laws in general? Somewhat of a unintelligent outlook. Typically those that have a somewhat checkered driving history usually take that view.

Guess I'll just stop worrying about traffic signals and plow right through. Too bad if one of your family members is killed in the process. Usually it only becomes an issue when one is personally affected.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
So then you condone Driving Under the Influence? Reckless Operation? A total disregard to the traffic laws in general? Somewhat of a unintelligent outlook. Typically those that have a somewhat checkered driving history usually take that view.

Guess I'll just stop worrying about traffic signals and plow right through. Too bad if one of your family members is killed in the process. Usually it only becomes an issue when one is personally affected.
No, I'm not for any sort of general disregard of reasonable and necessary traffic laws, otherwise we could not safely move the amount of traffic we do in this state. I just find it "theoretically" that cops spend too much time on traffic related details.

Old 08-26-2010, 04:29 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,367,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds318 View Post
Hey All,
So I recently got my first speeding ticket while I was driving in Old bridge. The cop said I was doing 74 in a 55 which means 4 points on my license =(. However I'm going to court and I want to see if I can beat it myself.

First of all I was not going much faster than the other cars around me and when the cop did pull me over I was stopped at a red light and he didn't turn on his lights till after we started moving. I'm not too sure about the standard procedures for pulling people over but it appeared to me that he wasn't quite sure if it was me who was speeding or not.

Secondly, I did some research online and it looks like I can get away with a faulty radar machine. I'm not sure how to go about that though. I think if the radar was not properly maintained the readings could be faulty. The cop did check the "Speed Measurement Device" on the ticket so I'm pretty certain he used a radar somehow. He also checked the "Heavy Traffic" box so I think there's a high chance that he might have picked up someone else with the radar.

Any advice would be appreciated. thanks in advance for your help!
My advice is to get a lawyer as you don't know what kind of judge will be before you. Many years ago my son got a Ticket at 2am going thru the town of Englishtown, NJ, a known speed trap. We hired a lawyer, and it was reduced to 2 points. The lawyer said any other judge, and it would have gone with a fine and no points as it was a first offence. To top if off the Judge was the same lawyer that did the closing on my house in NJ. I did not use him again when I sold my house there.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
The issue is that half the state is driving around with PBA shields in their windows and cards in their wallets that allow them to walk away scott free from any type of summons. That's why nobody respects the traffic laws or feels that they are administered fairly. If the system was truly fair and everyone was on the same level, you probably wouldn't see nearly as much complaining about tickets.
this is half the problem though. stop worrying about whether others are acting ethically in their lives. just because they don't, doesn't give one the right or excuse to not act that way in their own lives.

does it suck that some people get preferential treatment? sure. does that mean i should go 80 and if i get pulled over i can **** and moan about it? not really.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Well traffic and the movement thereof is absolutely NO business of any police officer. They grabbed onto it with the advent of motorized mobility of humanity in general, everyone kind of accepted it, but IT IS NOT any of their business. They should concentrate on police matters and business unless they are asked to help in a specific situation. They have no right to patrol or issue summonses in traffic matters, we just let them, similar to the way we became conditioned to pull over like salivating dogs at the sight of a rotating red light.

My 2 cents anyway. Rant mode off.
i'm sorry but this is just not correct. if some a-hole is driving 80mph on 287 and weaving in and out of traffic on a publicly funded road, and he causes an accident, he's affecting many many people. not only is he making me sit in traffic for probably an extra 20-40 minutes, he's also occupying emergency services, often at the cost of taxpayers.

so yes - the police have the authority to police the public roads that we all help pay for.

Old 08-29-2010, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 3,775 times
cap stopped me for speed the speed limit is 55 &i was goingon 69 so he gave me speed ticket & for three passengers on back seat gave me three more seatbelt ticket so i got total four ticket so can u advise me what can i do

Old 08-30-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxa patel View Post
cap stopped me for speed the speed limit is 55 &i was goingon 69 so he gave me speed ticket & for three passengers on back seat gave me three more seatbelt ticket so i got total four ticket so can u advise me what can i do
I don't think rear seat passengers are requires to legally wear seat belts. That sounds like nuisance BS that they will probably drop the seat belt tickets as a "favor". Anyway there are plenty of forum threads about getting tickets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey