Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So basically there should never be any shows that show people of a particular location in a way that anyone could take as a negative. What a great plan.

I've said it before. Any person who is so incredibly stupid to think that a TV show is reresentative of a large group of people should not be taken seriously on any matter. And any person who cares for one second what someone like that would think is just as stupid.
So apparently the majority of people are incredibly stupid? This stuff shapes the way people view the world, whether they are adults or kids, educated or ignorant.

Like Kate said, I am just simply tired of explaining to clients and colleagues that my state is not like that. What's even more infuriating is that NJ somehow gets the reputation nationwide for these types of meatheads, and not NY...when NY is where most of them come from!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 12:36 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
Default Trash

Quote:
So basically there should never be any shows that show people of a particular location in a way that anyone could take as a negative. What a great plan.

I've said it before. Any person who is so incredibly stupid to think that a TV show is reresentative of a large group of people should not be taken seriously on any matter. And any person who cares for one second what someone like that would think is just as stupid.
Then the majority of Americans are "incredibly stupid." It never ceases to amaze me how many people think that television programming is representative of a large group of people.

The most vulnerable are teenagers, who often base their views on what they're indoctrinated with on television. I know, I know... their parents should be watching out for them. Well, most don't!

I suspect that more teenagers can tell you who the cast members of these trashy television shows are than can tell you who their congress representative is. Then again, some may consider many of the latter to also be trashy.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:38 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,315,078 times
If these meatheads were my kids, I'd kick their arses!

Old 08-26-2010, 01:05 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
Then the majority of Americans are "incredibly stupid." It never ceases to amaze me how many people think that television programming is representative of a large group of people.

The most vulnerable are teenagers, who often base their views on what they're indoctrinated with on television. I know, I know... their parents should be watching out for them. Well, most don't!

I suspect that more teenagers can tell you who the cast members of these trashy television shows are than can tell you who their congress representative is. Then again, some may consider many of the latter to also be trashy.
Agreed completely.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:06 PM

12,546 posts, read 21,400,123 times
eh. people are uptight. it's a crappy stereotype, but people who think that all of NJ is like the people on these shows are dumb anyways. it's all in good fun. the stereotype exists for a reason. it may be exagerated, but it's not a far stretch from what happens at seaside or weherver they are. as with real housewives. there's not a stereotype of rich, stay-at-home, extravagent houswives in nj for no reason. just visit short hills mall on a weekday!

as for the shows - they bring money into NJ for better or for worse.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:40 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
As if anyone on this board has a clue as to what a majority of Americans think about anything. I would love to know how you guys arrived at this conclusion.

And quite honestly the answer is the same. Anyone who watches Jersey Shore and thinks that is a good representation of what people from NJ are like is stupid. And that is putting it nicely. I would love to see an argument as to why any human with a half a brain would think that was a logical conclusion.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:16 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
Quote:
As if anyone on this board has a clue as to what a majority of Americans think about anything. I would love to know how you guys arrived at this conclusion.

And quite honestly the answer is the same. Anyone who watches Jersey Shore and thinks that is a good representation of what people from NJ are like is stupid. And that is putting it nicely. I would love to see an argument as to why any human with a half a brain would think that was a logical conclusion.
ah, but next time you have a vacation coming, do me a favor and leave the tri state area. then get into a conversation with someone from that area and tell them you are from NJ. dont worry, they WILL ask just because of your "accent".
it gets tiring explaining to them that no, NJ doesnt all look like the turnpike, and no we are not like the Sapranos and no the kids dont all act like the jersey shore kids.

even if you dont feel the need to explain it to them, as i many times just agree with them sarcastically on how it smells bad and is full of refineries--i think they get the picture, this look will pass on their face as if they know the state and have actually been there.

yes it is ignorance, and people then form an opinion of me personally from that.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:06 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
I travel a lot. Apart from the occassional joke about NJ swamps people don't say these things to me.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
What Maverick said..and I hope people in other areas of the country that watch this drivel don't think these shows are stereotypical of all NJ residents
Trust me they don't. Its Junk and I won't watch it. My son thinks its funny, and I think most take the show as pure comedy.

I have not posted much because I experienced a major tragety in my life. My husband passed away 2 1/2 weeks after we returned from a cruise, Heart Failure.And Yes I am staying in TN in this same house. Its paid for so I have no reason to move.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:34 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,814,516 times
At least change the title and stop putting so much emphasis on NJ.

Flavor of Love
Jerry Springer
A shot at Love (Tila Tequila)
I love NY
Rock of Love

and so on (And some of these shows are far worst IMO) Reality TV will always be the bowels of television anyway. The only reason the show is giving NJ hype is because the show puts so much emphasis on the location- The media likes to engrave the NJ stereotype on peoples minds because people will eat it up. I saw a spoof on Snooki, and the spoofer who played Snooki says- "I don't care, I'm from *uckin New Jersey"- People don't care about the truth (She's from upstate NY)

I don't know who's more of an idiot-
The minority negative/embarrassing stereotypes, or the tens of millions Americans who can't get enough of it. (I'm not referring to just "Jersey Shore" either)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey