Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 10:16 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,402,201 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Under the Muslims, the Jews and Christians had religious freedom; of course, the Muslims were still the ruling class of the time and place. That religious freedom was destroyed under Isabella and Ferdinand, as we know.

Yes, even though it stands for religious freedom, the implication is still that Islam rules, but that's not particularly offensive. They ARE Muslims, and they believe their religion is the right one, just as Christians believe that their religion is the right one and that someday their religion will prevail over all the earth. This is usually the point when someone starts screeching "yeah but Muslims will FORCE us all to convert blah blah blah" so I'll save them the fingertip skin here--but the fact is that non-extremists do not adhere to that--they believe we will all eventually come willingly to Islam because it's such a great religion and attractive way to live. Ain't gonna happen, but believing what you want is what freedom of religion is.

Jews are different--they don't make it easy for you to convert, lol.
so true. did you see the daily show bit the other night where one guy was team muhammad and the other was team jesus? it was hilarious. at the end, the revealed they formed a secret pact that if the other "was right", they had a process for quick conversion so that they can both go to heaven. it shows the ridiculousness of it all in a satirical way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 10:23 AM

This book, and many others by the same author, explore this topic of terror and "god" very deeply. I forgot that, ironically to this discussion, McVeigh is one of the people on the cover. I don't fully remember how they discussed his religious views in the book though.

Amazon.com: Terror in the Mind of God: The Global Rise of Religious Violence Updated Edition with a New Preface (Comparative Studies in Religion and Society) (9780520232068): Mark Juergensmeyer: Books

Another good book about terrorism, and the context of the situations that led up to the events:

Amazon.com: Terrorism in Context (9780271010151): Martha Crenshaw: Books

and another good read:

Amazon.com: The Massacre at El Mozote (9780679755258): Mark Danner: Books

FWIW, i felt differently about terrorism and religion before I read a lot of the books I have read.

Also, it's worth noting that Juergensmeyer spoke at my school numerous times while I was there, and I attended many of his lectures, among others.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:26 AM

429 posts, read 931,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I don't think I have very often in my life called someone ignorant......
I don't even think it proves someone is very smart to spit out that word.
ignorant - definition of ignorant by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
It refers to "lacking knowledge", being "unaware and uninformed". Someone equating the Islamic religion with the terrorist activities on 9-11 is without a doubt lacking knowledge, unaware and uninformed about the Islamic religion, just as someone equating Christianity with Jonestown would be. Calling someone ignorant is not the same thing as calling them stupid or something. One who is ignorant about x could certainly have the ability to become better informed about x.

We're all ignorant about many things, by the way. It's simply impossible to be well informed about everything. There's too much to know about.
Quote:
Reading all the 9/11 books I can get my hands on, I think the act was in part meshed with the religion.
No one said that the terrorists did not have at least some religious motivations. Look up equating on the url I gave you, too. Jim Jones certainly had religious motivations as well.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Goes well beyond those 19 men......it is going on all around the world with terror attacks in the name of Allah
Someone could say the same thing about Christianity and Jonestown. That's just one example. We could also talk about the Branch Davidians, The Family International, the Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God, Christians killing abortion providers, and on and on. Pointing out that some people source their violent actions in their religious beliefs--and again, there's no shortage of examples, we could find hundreds of them--doesn't imply that that is what Christianity is about for the vast majority of contemporary Christians. The same goes for Islam.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
so true. did you see the daily show bit the other night where one guy was team muhammad and the other was team jesus? it was hilarious. at the end, the revealed they formed a secret pact that if the other "was right", they had a process for quick conversion so that they can both go to heaven. it shows the ridiculousness of it all in a satirical way.
NO! But I would have loved something like that. LOL

Old 09-16-2010, 10:41 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLuckoftheDraw View Post
Someone could say the same thing about Christianity and Jonestown. That's just one example. We could also talk about the Branch Davidians, The Family International, the Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God, Christians killing abortion providers, and on and on. Pointing out that some people source their violent actions in their religious beliefs--and again, there's no shortage of examples, we could find hundreds of them--doesn't imply that that is what Christianity is about for the vast majority of contemporary Christians. The same goes for Islam.
Jonestown was mass suicide by people who fed into what jones was preaching to them....most of the extremist christian cult groups die by their own hands..they are not flying 747's into buildings killing innocent people.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Didn't they commit suicide in Jonestown??????
A bird is to a tree as a helicopter is to a helipad. But wait. Helipads don't contain clorophyll, so that can't be right, can it?

Try this maybe: False analogy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You can just skip to "Incorrectly classifying an analogy as false".

Old 09-16-2010, 10:48 AM

88,575 posts, read 84,777,093 times
By the way, I am now completely appalled that they had the nerve to call this place Cordoba House, but not for any of the reasons mentioned.

The Park Place mosque is nothing but a rectangular glass and steel structure, just like hundreds of other buildings in NYC and around the country.

The architecture from the time of the Moorish Cordoba Caliphate was magnificent. They have some nerve naming this uninspiring design after a time and place of such beautiful creativity.

World Architecture Images-Cordoba Mezquita

Old 09-16-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Jonestown was mass suicide by people who fed into what jones was preaching to them....most of the extremist christian cult groups die by their own hands..they are not flying 747's into buildings killing innocent people.
so you don't consider people who get sucked into these cults as innocents?

Old 09-16-2010, 10:56 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
By the way, I am now completely appalled that they had the nerve to call this place Cordoba House, but not for any of the reasons mentioned.

The Park Place mosque is nothing but a rectangular glass and steel structure, just like hundreds of other buildings in NYC and around the country.

The architecture from the time of the Moorish Cordoba Caliphate was magnificent. They have some nerve naming this uninspiring design after a time and place of such beautiful creativity.

World Architecture Images-Cordoba Mezquita
LMAO, I would rep you for this if I could!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey