Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2011, 08:16 PM

3 posts, read 9,462 times

Advertisements

Hi. I was planning on moving to Cumberland from Harlem, but after some convincing from the posters on a previous thread I have changed my mind. I am looking for a nice safe city with good schools. Things to do around town are a plus. I won't be going to NYC all the time,but I will have to travel there from time to time. I have considered places like Fort Lee and Tenafly,but the houses are out of my price range. Would also prefer a town that is no further than Paramus.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 AM

1,202 posts, read 3,029,253 times
Check out Teaneck, Bogota, Ridgefield Park and other towns in that area. Good commute to the city, good schools and prices start around the low $200k mark, climbing as you go for bigger/better kept homes and properties. Rutherford/East Rutherford could also be a good option for ya, not too sure on home prices there but the downtown is great and the train and buses make the commute into the city easy.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 AM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
This is going to be a bit un-pc, but, what race/ethnicity are you?

It shouldn't matter, but it does, and while there are several nice towns in a more reasonable pricerange in the area, I wouldn't for example tell a black family to move to Ridgefield Park or a Hispanic/Asian family to move to Teaneck; it would just be plain bad advice for them.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 9,462 times
@ALackOfCreativity
Hi there. I'm Dominican & Greek, but consider myself Hispanic.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
This is going to be a bit un-pc, but, what race/ethnicity are you?

It shouldn't matter, but it does, and while there are several nice towns in a more reasonable pricerange in the area, I wouldn't for example tell a black family to move to Ridgefield Park or a Hispanic/Asian family to move to Teaneck; it would just be plain bad advice for them.
How would a black family moving to Ridgefield Park be a bad idea? I see tons of black families all throughout the town. Also with the Asian family being no good in Teaneck, how so? While it's predominantly black and Jewish, there's also plenty of thriving Asian families and businesses.

Not trying to hit back with snark or downplay your advice, just wondering is all!

OP- Any of the towns listed above would be good, but to head ALackOfCreativity's advice, you will find a lower population of Hispanics in Teaneck than you would in Bogota or Ridgefield Park. That also, depends on whether or not that's something that's a consideration for you. Also those 3 are all very close to each other, especially with the unusual town lines of southwest Teaneck and northeast Bogota!

Old 06-26-2011, 09:43 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenaperture View Post
How would a black family moving to Ridgefield Park be a bad idea? I see tons of black families all throughout the town. Also with the Asian family being no good in Teaneck, how so? While it's predominantly black and Jewish, there's also plenty of thriving Asian families and businesses.

Not trying to hit back with snark or downplay your advice, just wondering is all!

OP- Any of the towns listed above would be good, but to head ALackOfCreativity's advice, you will find a lower population of Hispanics in Teaneck than you would in Bogota or Ridgefield Park. That also, depends on whether or not that's something that's a consideration for you. Also those 3 are all very close to each other, especially with the unusual town lines of southwest Teaneck and northeast Bogota!
The reason is the use of the school systems. Mainly, you don't want your kid to be the token member of their ethnicity in the school if possible to avoid + a few more specific problems in certain towns. If not for that it would be silly to worry about it.

Aside from that though, I might remove Bogota from your list and add in Bergenfield, Dumont, and New Milford, simply based on school quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massiekur View Post
@ALackOfCreativity
Hi there. I'm Dominican & Greek, but consider myself Hispanic.
Avoid Teaneck then. Look into everything else on that list. Dumont will give you great bang for your buck with relationship to schools, but, is far from the highways. New Milford is getting to the more expensive side. Bergenfield is closer to transit than Dumont and cheaper than New Milford but you'll pay for it in high taxes. Ridgefield Park is bizarrely and inexplicably cheap for what it is, but, I believe may have some flooding problems in areas, although I could be wrong about that.

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 06-26-2011 at 09:52 PM..

Old 06-26-2011, 10:39 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Massiekur View Post
I have considered places like Fort Lee and Tenafly,but the houses are out of my price range. Would also prefer a town that is no further than Paramus.

Thank you!
What's your budget and what are you looking out of house. 3bed/2bath etc.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALackOfCreativity View Post
The reason is the use of the school systems. Mainly, you don't want your kid to be the token member of their ethnicity in the school if possible to avoid + a few more specific problems in certain towns. If not for that it would be silly to worry about it.

Aside from that though, I might remove Bogota from your list and add in Bergenfield, Dumont, and New Milford, simply based on school quality.

Avoid Teaneck then. Look into everything else on that list. Dumont will give you great bang for your buck with relationship to schools, but, is far from the highways. New Milford is getting to the more expensive side. Bergenfield is closer to transit than Dumont and cheaper than New Milford but you'll pay for it in high taxes. Ridgefield Park is bizarrely and inexplicably cheap for what it is, but, I believe may have some flooding problems in areas, although I could be wrong about that.
Ok that does make some sense. And yes there's parts of Ridgefield Park you need to be wary of flooding. Mostly along the Hackensack River and Overpeck Creek.

Dumont and New Milford are definitely great options to add to your search, Bergenfield can be pretty eh but the commute is better from there vs Dumont or New Milford and has a bigger downtown area.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:16 PM

4 posts, read 15,266 times
Default Towns

I just recently moved to New Milford and I really enjoy it,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey