Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 02:39 PM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times

Advertisements

I thought for sure you were going to ask where a 'diverse' town might be!

Whew!

I think there is a list somewhere of possibly 3 towns in the entire state that might be classified as 'diverse'. Other than those three towns you're out of luck and stuck in a homogenous, monolithic culture that stretches from Stokes to Cape May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 07:02 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,313,759 times
Default Drug dealer wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsushi View Post
Hi,

I'm a drug dealer, and I'm looking for a dangerous neighborhood to live. It has to be dangerous, expensive and has to have bad schools.

I'm joking, of course, but boy, I sometimes get so annoyed by cookie cutter posting, like "I'm looking for a safe and inexpensive neighborhood with good school".

Just for amusement, I would love to see postings from people who are looking for something unusual.

Atsushi
In the 90s, I worked in property management. We had one building on a crime-infested street on the Newark-Irvington border. However, one tenant was always on-time with the rent, kept the place neat and clean, and never complained about anything.

I got a call one day from another tenant in the building. There had been a shooting next door and so-and-so (my perfect tenant) was involved. Turns out that he was the neighborhood drug pusher. He thought the best way to conduct business was to look clean-as-a-whistle to not bring undue attention to himself. For a long time, his plan worked -- until he took the bullet.

After the shooting, it was impossible to re-rent the apartment for over a year. (The vacancy expense devoured us.) Out of frustration and for comic relief in a terrible situation, I once joked with my partner that maybe we should run an ad in the newspaper akin to this:

Estate Sale! Drug dealer wanted. Security deposit and first month's rent buys you the business. Established clientèle. Covenant not to compete unrequired as former owner has left for good. Possible hidden inventory left behind.

I second your annoyance seeing that same sorry question in the forum over and over and over again. Yet ironically, many of New Jersey's terrible neighborhoods are exactly as you say -- dangerous and expensive with bad schools.

You'll find that often times, the cost of living (especially the rent) in high-crime neighborhoods is much higher than in safer neighborhoods. Often times, government rent subsidies artificially inflate the rental value, in turn pushing market-rate tenants out. That's one big reason why affordable housing is such a challenge in Metropolitan North Jersey.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,994,817 times
Quote:
Hi,

I'm a drug dealer, and I'm looking for a dangerous neighborhood to live. It has to be dangerous, expensive and has to have bad schools.

I'm joking, of course, but boy, I sometimes get so annoyed by cookie cutter posting, like "I'm looking for a safe and inexpensive neighborhood with good school".

Just for amusement, I would love to see postings from people who are looking for something unusual.

Atsushi
Where is you clientele based (near NYC, Philly, No. NJ or SJ)? I have some "homies" in Camden that I could hook you up with, LOL!!!

Old 08-31-2010, 09:26 PM

523 posts, read 1,679,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaverickDD View Post
.... Out of frustration and for comic relief in a terrible situation, I once joked with my partner that maybe we should run an ad in the newspaper akin to this:

Estate Sale! Drug dealer wanted. Security deposit and first month's rent buys you the business. Established clientèle. Covenant not to compete unrequired as former owner has left for good. Possible hidden inventory left behind. ...
Very funny, MaverickDD!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:37 AM

593 posts, read 893,775 times
I'm glad to know that some people appreciate my sense of humor.

Atsushi

Old 09-01-2010, 09:45 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,273,731 times
Quote:
I'm glad to know that some people appreciate my sense of humor.

Atsushi
Just something I'd like to add. The place should have none of those damn wanky, pretentious, overpriced indy stores. Chains only. Burger king, McDonalds, Starbucks, Borders, Pizza Hut.

None of these walkable downtowns. In fact, they should ticket people who walk in the downtown.

Because everyone wants the same thing I want, I expect to pay top dollar. My budget requirement is 400k or more. If it costs less than 400k, I think you've probably picked the wrong neighborhood.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:22 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,958,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Jersey City fits the bill!
Are you still trolling the Jersey forum?

Old 09-02-2010, 08:43 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,268,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfrisco View Post
As already mentioned Jersey City. It is a complete Hell whole and only those yuppies that can' afford NYC or Hoboken move there.
I encourage you to walk around my neighborhood and tell me with a straight face that I live in a hell hole (not "whole"...you should learn how to spell).

Old 09-02-2010, 08:49 AM

1,602 posts, read 4,158,204 times
Safe and affordable in NJ just don't go hand-in-hand, sorry ... Family towns with good schools: Oradell, RiverEdge, Tenafly, Park Ridge, Hillsdale, Ramsey, Montvale, Alpine, Cresskill, Demarest ....

Rockland County is nice, just over the boarder ... Pearl River is a great town. Lots of BARS ! haaaaa !

Old 09-02-2010, 09:07 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Just something I'd like to add. The place should have none of those damn wanky, pretentious, overpriced indy stores. Chains only. Burger king, McDonalds, Starbucks, Borders, Pizza Hut.

None of these walkable downtowns. In fact, they should ticket people who walk in the downtown.

Because everyone wants the same thing I want, I expect to pay top dollar. My budget requirement is 400k or more. If it costs less than 400k, I think you've probably picked the wrong neighborhood.
In a place that the OP is describing, I think you need a runnable downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey