Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 06:33 PM

2,715 posts, read 11,902,279 times

Advertisements

I assume it has something to do with the root word Hobo and not a family name like carpenter, but I am just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:48 PM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
A quick search revealed that the city was named by Colonel John Stevens, and was based on a Lenape Indian tribal name for "land of the tobacco pipe" referring to soapstone collected there.

There is also a Hoboken that was annexed by Belgium, which was previously in the Netherlands, so some say it could originate from that name.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:54 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Its Dutch , along with parts of JC. NJ and the Northeast are very European named. Look at some Philly suburbs and Boston suburbs , Dutch , Belgian , Hungarian.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Strange to drive thru Belgium and see a big green sign for Hoboken.

There are so many Dutch words that are used in our language. Architecture, places and roads in our state link back directly to the first Dutch settlers.

Here are some excerpts from two different sites. The 2nd site is a NJ state site.

"In 1743 a definitive dividing line was finally accepted by the Crown, severing conflicting Quaker claims by placing all Jersey Quaker communities in West Jersey. But the proprietary-patentee conflict continued unabated. The dividing line demarking East Jersey ran southeast from Sussex County's Delaware River border diagonally across New Jersey to Tuckerton in what is now Ocean County. East Jersey then encompassed rural, mostly English Sussex and Morris Counties; Dutch-dominated Bergen and Somerset Counties; the Puritan-settled towns of Newark and Elizabeth in populous Essex County; and the mixed populations of the original Middlesex and Monmouth Counties to the south."

[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]"East Jersey’s[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]development was tied to New York, New England, and the former Dutch colony of New Netherland. The[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]settlement of West Jersey on the Delaware River was initially a Quaker venture, and was associated with[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]William Penn and others involved in the colonization of Pennsylvania."[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][SIZE=3][LEFT]"In 1998, the East Jersey Proprietors—then New Jersey’s oldest corporation—dissolved and sold their[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]rights to unappropriated land to the state’s Green Acres program. At that time, the East Jersey records[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]were transferred from Perth Amboy to the State Archives in Trenton. The West Jersey Proprietors continue as an active corporation[/LEFT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]based in Burlington, NJ, and retain legal ownership of their original records"[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][/SIZE][/SIZE]

Old 08-31-2010, 07:27 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,486,068 times
most of the town names in northern NJ are Lenape words/phrases...

Old 08-31-2010, 09:50 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times
i remember reading a while back that it was derived from the work Hoebuck, and over time changed into Hoboken.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:14 AM

614 posts, read 1,375,487 times
A Hobo named Ken? Joking! lol I have no idea how it got it's name but I'm sure its not too hard to find out.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:55 AM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
most of the town names in northern NJ are Lenape words/phrases...
I always thought Ho-ho-kus was the most hilarious town name known to man. Then I went to the Poconos last year and saw "Buttzville" on the way up.

A little closer to me, the ten different variations of "Egg Harbor" are also pretty funny. I'd love to research the story behind that name some day. I'm sure it's out on the Internet somewhere.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I always thought Ho-ho-kus was the most hilarious town name known to man. Then I went to the Poconos last year and saw "Buttzville" on the way up.

A little closer to me, the ten different variations of "Egg Harbor" are also pretty funny. I'd love to research the story behind that name some day. I'm sure it's out on the Internet somewhere.
It's because there were lots of eggs to be found there because of the waterfowl. Really. To sailors who had been eating dried bread and preserved meat for a couple of months, fresh eggs were a big thrill.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:12 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default high beeches

Checked with my friend from Belgium who lives near Hoboken. 'Ho' means high, and the modern translation of 'boken' is 'beeches' as in beech trees.

So I guess Hoboken reminded the Dutch of Hoboken because of the large beech trees.

She also mentioned Hoboken gets a lot of razzing from the Dutch just as as seen in this post with re to Hoboken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey