U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2010, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 12,267 times

Advertisements

Hello all. I live in PA and received 2 parking tickets in irvington, NJ a few years back that I forgot about. Long story short I was arrested in freehold NJ for these tickets, paid the bail and signed a bail waver for 1 of the 2 tickets (I wanted to sign for both but was told only 1 qualified). So I received a notice in the mail saying I need to appear in court for both tickets. not one both (I HAATE irvington) tickets, so I try to call no answer after calling for 3 days straight during business hours. No answer at all. So I miss my court date because I could not make it and they should answer there damn phone!! The notices I received said my bail will be forfitted for missing court and that's fine with me I could care less I just don't want to waste time going to irvington if I don't have to. My question is " will my forfeited bail money go to pay the ticket or do I now have another warrant" keep in mind the tickets are petty parking tickets "street cleaning" and "head in parking only".
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 05:30 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,068,355 times
1) No your bail money wont go to the ticket
2) Yes, you now have another warrant out

Seems like you have a history of 'forgetting' stuff. Tell that to the judge...if you remember to show up.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:20 PM

There was no mention of another warrant, I have received tickets in the past and there is always mention of what will happen if you don't do xyz. So are you speaking on an assumption or do you know this for a fact. Anyone else care to chime in? A friend of mine who lives in NJ says parking tickets are just settled with the bail. Moving violations are a different story he says. But I would like to confirm this. I would simply call them but they don't answer the phone, and I am not about to drive 2 hours for nothing.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:54 AM

572 posts, read 1,876,242 times
As far as I know in the state of NJ the bail does not go to pay any type of ticket whether it be a parking ticket or a moving vioaltion. It is also my understanding that if you forefit your bail by not showing up in court that they immediatly issue another warrant for your arrest. Why did you not just go online and pay the tickets?

Old 09-01-2010, 10:05 AM

12,545 posts, read 19,525,223 times
i'd keep calling til you get an answer. or drive out in person.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:27 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,081,092 times
A bail waiver is your agreement to have the bail applied to the summons. The court must agree to that process and it will be noted on the warrant.

A ATS check would show any outstanding summones or any in warrant status but it must be done through a NJ agency.

Quote:
A friend of mine who lives in NJ says parking tickets are just settled with the bail.
No, they are not except in the case on minor ones and the approval of the issuing court. Certain parking summons require an appearance in many courts. Handicap Parking violations are one of those. As already stated, bail is not a fine but a promise to appear under penalty of forfeiture.

Quote:

So I miss my court date because I could not make it
Don't expect sympathy. Large courts have many who want rescheduling making the operation of the court impossible. Your "not being able to make it" and simply not showing up isn't going to be well received. You have the date and they expect an appearance. The bail you posted has gone to the court as forfeited and the summons remains active. I'd expect a warrant would have been issued. Most likely a new bail has been set. Not after that bail is paid, you will get a new date to appear.

Ignoring a summons certainly doesn't make it easier.

Last edited by rscalzo; 09-01-2010 at 10:36 AM..

Old 09-01-2010, 12:50 PM

ok so i called a different towns police department today(north Plainfield) since i am sure they would see anything on my record with a DL check and name check, and they told me that there is no outstanding warrants.

The parking violations were minor they were no handicapp violations or fire hydrant. just street cleaning (no excuse for this one guilty as charged) and head in parking (sign was hidden by overgrown bushes). It would not take more than 48 hours for a warrant to enter the system would it?

I am going to continue to try and reach someone in irvington just to be certain. You know if they answered there phones they would probably have more money coming in.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:39 PM

5,602 posts, read 14,423,974 times
Maybe try a different phone number in OiOiOivington.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 PM

2,105 posts, read 6,081,092 times
As long as they ran an ATS check. A check through the standard DMV would not show any outstanding summons. They are different systems and not linked.

The DMV system only shows the driver license status. ATS shows any outstanding summons not closed.

It makes more sense when you use the system daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey