Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 05:36 PM

53 posts, read 332,133 times

Advertisements

Hello,

There hasn't been a tremendous amount written about East Orange in these forums, but what I have read has not been positive. I also looked over the crime stats on city-data stats page for E.O. and it things do look grim.

A co-worker of mine is doing some volunteer work in East Orange. I'm considering going down there to help out as well but I will have some free time on my hands. I won't have a vehicle so public transportation and walking are my modes of transport. Despite the high crime, is East Orange safe enough to walk around during the day? I'll be based out of an area near the East Orange General Hospital. I don't plan on doing a whole lot of exploring, maybe just walk somewhere for lunch or dinner, pick-up some groceries.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 05:56 PM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer View Post
Hello,

There hasn't been a tremendous amount written about East Orange in these forums, but what I have read has not been positive. I also looked over the crime stats on city-data stats page for E.O. and it things do look grim.

A co-worker of mine is doing some volunteer work in East Orange. I'm considering going down there to help out as well but I will have some free time on my hands. I won't have a vehicle so public transportation and walking are my modes of transport. Despite the high crime, is East Orange safe enough to walk around during the day? I'll be based out of an area near the East Orange General Hospital. I don't plan on doing a whole lot of exploring, maybe just walk somewhere for lunch or dinner, pick-up some groceries.

Thank you
I'll make this succinct, it is one of the worst cities in the entire US

Old 06-28-2007, 10:15 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,360,499 times
Actually, I was wondering something similar...

but just the safeness of the bus stops in E.O.

I've heard horrid things about the city in general though....and to try to keep away at all costs.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:40 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_hungry_wanderer View Post
Hello,

Thank you
========

I do not know much about the EO area but it should be safe in the day time...plus you stated a friend is doing the same gig so I would pretty much touch base with that friend and find out more from him/her. I am a volunteer web design instructor at the Urban League of Essex County which is right off on Central Ave...it is not a very decent place/area and as you may have read crime is high but if you are really willing to help I'd say arrange with other volunteers for a ride to Penn Station or where ever you need to go in order to catch your bus or train...but DO NOT stand or sit at any local bus stop in EO - that will be considered suicidal.

Good Luck...!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 07:52 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,297,475 times
I've done some work in East Orange in the past (2004 and 05). Despite the stats, it feels quite safe to walk around during the daytime. I've taken trains to Brick Church station and NJT buses from Newark Penn to MLK Blvd (Main St) and also along Central Ave. Just lots of people walking around, shopping, etc. I've been at Brick Church Plaza waiting for a bus after dark, and while I never had reason to feel unsafe, I was checking over my shoulder from time to time. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:57 AM

11,338 posts, read 16,691,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
I've done some work in East Orange in the past (2004 and 05). Despite the stats, it feels quite safe to walk around during the daytime. I've taken trains to Brick Church station and NJT buses from Newark Penn to MLK Blvd (Main St) and also along Central Ave. Just lots of people walking around, shopping, etc. I've been at Brick Church Plaza waiting for a bus after dark, and while I never had reason to feel unsafe, I was checking over my shoulder from time to time. Use common sense and you'll be fine.

It's a safe bet to stay away from any town that has a MLK Blvd. (Ok, go ahead and flame), but just check crime stats first in that town.

Old 06-29-2007, 08:03 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBsr View Post
It's a safe bet to stay away from any town that has a MLK Blvd. (Ok, go ahead and flame), but just check crime stats first in that town.
=========

One thing I have noticed is that every town with a MLK Blvd happens to be a low income/minority town. Honestly I have never seen a MLK Blvd or St in Parsippany or Livingston...am I hallucinating?

Anyways just an observation...!!!

Old 06-29-2007, 06:03 PM

318 posts, read 450,557 times
It's not worth the risk. There are plenty of other places in the state that are in need of volunteers, and you don't have to risk getting mugged or shot to go there.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:34 PM

11 posts, read 53,464 times
I'm sorry..i was too busy checking on my 15 year old son who is on a 5 week visit to Japan. I am a resident of East Orange. This town is no different from any other urban city. If you are looking for trouble, you'll find it. I also take the train from Brick Church into NYC, and i find a lot of East Orange residents who are hard working individuals like everyone else.

Don't get me wrong. There are some areas in EO you would not catch me...i cherish my life. My husband and i have done everything we could to get our son into a New England boarding school (and NO, he does not play basketball, listen to rap, or dance hip hop).

Bottom line, don't paint everyone with a broad brush.

God bless.

Old 06-29-2007, 06:39 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaSkorpion View Post
=========

One thing I have noticed is that every town with a MLK Blvd happens to be a low income/minority town. Honestly I have never seen a MLK Blvd or St in Parsippany or Livingston...am I hallucinating?

Anyways just an observation...!!!
this isn't a "blvd", but 440 in staten island is name MLK Exwy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey