Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 06:10 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post

The Future , i sent all those proposals to a NJT friend and here's whats on the agenda for the next 20 years.

Planned MOM Network - needs Funding

New York Penn Station - Newark Penn - Red Bank - Farmingdale JCT - Lakewood - Jackson - Toms River - Lakehurst / Manchester(2025ish)

New York Penn Station - Newark Penn Station - Monmouth JCT - Jamesburg - Englishtown - Manalapan - Freehold Centre - Farmingdale JCT (2025ish)

Cape May line (needs funding , he told me its at the bottom of the list)

That would be great...w/ Farmingdale JCT and Newark Penn being the transfer stations! I saw some abandoned & non-abandoned R&Rs today on my way to Long Branch via some county routes.

Stopped in Jamesburg today and LOVE how main st. is basically built around the rail line. Is the rail line there really discontinued? Shame if it is! A small station right on the main st would be the perfect location...if one doesn't exist already (I didn't see one though).

Nexis, you should come with me one day when I do my North Jersey travels. Pictures of rail lines and abandoned lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressedCollegeGirl89 View Post

That would be great...w/ Farmingdale JCT and Newark Penn being the transfer stations! I saw some abandoned & non-abandoned R&Rs today on my way to Long Branch via some county routes.

Stopped in Jamesburg today and LOVE how main st. is basically built around the rail line. Is the rail line there really discontinued? Shame if it is! A small station right on the main st would be the perfect location...if one doesn't exist already (I didn't see one though).

Nexis, you should come with me one day when I do my North Jersey travels. Pictures of rail lines and abandoned lines.
Its still active , Freight uses it a few times a week. The MOM network will be the most expensive NJDOT / NJT project costing between 400-600 million$$ It will serve between 80-140,000 ppl. Most of the cost is the Electrification which will have to happen since both lines feed into the Northeast Corridor and Amtrak doesn't like Diesels on the NEC. I don't have a car and don't do abandoned lines. You should come with me to Rahway to watch the fast Amtrak trains.....

Old 09-12-2010, 07:53 PM

912 posts, read 2,446,379 times
I could see a small, local line between AC and OC getting some traffic. Perhaps make it like the River Line - light rail style. I envision people thinking it's an easy way to go party in A.C. without worrying about driving. Could definitely work, perhaps even if it's built out into the larger towns such as Galloway or Egg Harbor Twp. Would cost a lot but could so some good in that area, especially since it's a growing part of the state.

As far as need goes, I think the MOM line should be the #1 priority. It is virtually impossible to go from Toms River, Lakewood, etc. to NYC (or any points northward) with ease, and these are among the state's largest suburban communities. That said, I wonder how many people actually commute to NYC from those towns. I doubt many. But perhaps that would change if transportation was easier. Still, we're talking 70 miles from the city here.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
I could see a small, local line between AC and OC getting some traffic. Perhaps make it like the River Line - light rail style. I envision people thinking it's an easy way to go party in A.C. without worrying about driving. Could definitely work, perhaps even if it's built out into the larger towns such as Galloway or Egg Harbor Twp. Would cost a lot but could so some good in that area, especially since it's a growing part of the state.

As far as need goes, I think the MOM line should be the #1 priority. It is virtually impossible to go from Toms River, Lakewood, etc. to NYC (or any points northward) with ease, and these are among the state's largest suburban communities. That said, I wonder how many people actually commute to NYC from those towns. I doubt many. But perhaps that would change if transportation was easier. Still, we're talking 70 miles from the city here.
Its not 1# , there are a few other cheaper railways ahead of it. West Trenton , Philpsburg restoration , Lackawanna line , & The Now on hold Tunnel which i changed my mind about. The MOM network is last and the biggest project on the list. Freehold is the only town that opposes the project , since the Jamesburg branch cuts right through town.

Old 09-12-2010, 10:43 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,442 times
Quote:

A light rail connecting AC and Ocean City would be great. Maybe Atlantic City can serve as the one of the main hub for various SJ rail lines in the far future! The major problem about South Jersey is that you need your own vehicle to get from one place to another with some ease. Public transportation (buses, trains) is only good if you live within its realm. Why the southern counties (particularly southeastern and south-central) get the crap end of the stick is something that should be addressed and dealt with. We're too far from Philly and a lifetime's away from NYC. It feels very isolated over there...Atlantic City and the rest of the Shore Points are basically what SE NJ has!!!

Nexis, one day we will take pictures of the AC rail line. Only then will you feel our pain and truly know how us Atlantic County residents feel about NJ Transit rail lines!

The only two ways you can get from Toms River/Lakewood to NYC with "ease" are via:

Garden State Parkway.
Bus to NYC at the Toms River bus terminal

Choose wisely!

Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 PM

I also found this....most of these projects should have been done by now or in the process of funding. But it seems like NJT has gone off the track with there priorities.

New Jersey Transit

Old 12-25-2010, 11:14 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,951,702 times
Quote:
A light rail connecting AC and Ocean City would be great. Maybe Atlantic City can serve as the one of the main hub for various SJ rail lines in the far future! The major problem about South Jersey is that you need your own vehicle to get from one place to another with some ease. Public transportation (buses, trains) is only good if you live within its realm. Why the southern counties (particularly southeastern and south-central) get the crap end of the stick is something that should be addressed and dealt with. We're too far from Philly and a lifetime's away from NYC. It feels very isolated over there...Atlantic City and the rest of the Shore Points are basically what SE NJ has!!!

Nexis, one day we will take pictures of the AC rail line. Only then will you feel our pain and truly know how us Atlantic County residents feel about NJ Transit rail lines!

The only two ways you can get from Toms River/Lakewood to NYC with "ease" are via:

Garden State Parkway.

Choose wisely!
seriously 551 bus is way faster than the crap AC line and more frequent

Old 12-25-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:

Garden State Parkway.

Choose wisely!
actually you are partially incorrect almost all bus lines in Atlantic county run 24 HOURS LITERALLY!!!! EXCEPT 315, 509, 508,504,502. and except 315 they go till the late hours. 554 never ends!!! go to driveless.com click the interactive transportation map to get detailed view of all public transit in south jersey!!!!! you will be Shocked!!!!! In camden county buses are everywhere literally. Plus additional demand response bus is available in atlantic county look up Atlantic county demand respone you can find it. 315 is the only one to suck!!!!

Old 12-25-2010, 11:24 PM

Quote:

You are WAY OFF YOU HAVE 139 FROM LAKEWOOD AND 137/319 AND EVEN ACADEMY TO NYC!!!! ALSO MONMOUTH SERVICE AREA HAS ACADEMY TO NYC!!!!!! Their frequency is at least 30 minutes mostly even more frequent than that. At rush hour they put NYC MTA buses to shame!!!! do research before bashing for more transit advice ask me !!! or PM me

Old 12-26-2010, 12:39 AM

341 posts, read 678,863 times
Cool map from 1980, Nexis!

I noticed that on the Raritan Valley line there was a station at Grant Ave in Plainfield. It must have been closed at least 20 years ago. Although not listed on the 1980 map you provided, there used to be a station at South St. in Newark. If you walk under the railroad bridge at South St. and McCarter Highway (Rt. 21) in Newark you can still see the stairs that used to lead up to the station; they have long since been locked and gated. Does anyone know when the South St. station was closed? What about Grant Ave. in Plainfield?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey