U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2010, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 6,227 times

Advertisements

Our son is in 6th grade. We are trying to decide if we should try to get him into Delbarton for next year or wait until 9th grade.
We will have to make a decision very soon since entrance exams are coming up. Any feedback from delbarton alums would be appreciated
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 01:22 PM

7,178 posts, read 11,298,964 times
May I ask why you are choosing Delbarton over other area private schools?

Old 09-08-2010, 03:55 PM

2 posts, read 8,183 times
[quote=NJEZPASS25;15805172]Our son is in 6th grade. We are trying to decide if we should try to get him into Delbarton for next year or wait until 9th grade.
We will have to make a decision very soon since entrance exams are coming up. Any feedback from delbarton alums would be appreciated[/qxuote]

IMHO, there are 2 ways to approach this.

If you go for 9th grade, his chances of getting into Delbarton may be slightly higher, and I emphasize slightly higher than if you go early at 7th grade.

disclosure: i'm a Seton hall prep alumna. But my older brother is a graduate of delbarton. (unfortunately, my application with delbarton for 9th grade was not good enough.

it would be slightly higher because there would be more open slots applicants for 9th grade. but keep in mind, there will also be a much higher number of 9th grade apps and a much stronger field of candidates as well for 9th grade than open slots for 7th grade . unless its changed from my time, they normally keep at 7th grade class at around 15 to 20 students max.

thus your son would have to make it in the top 20 out of an average of about 150 to 175 average apps for 7th grade on an average year.

probably the Biggest Advantage that i hear from parents who apply at the 7th grade level of Delbarton is the "Guaranteed Acceptance" of these boys into Delbarton upper school of 9th grade. if they come from Delbarton middle school, they no longer need to go thru the rigorous entrance exams, parent interviews, and student interviews all over again in 9th grade

now if you decide to wait until 9th grade?

the biggest benefit for most parents is that you just Saved yourself about $55,000 dollars by waiting until 9th grade ( unless of course money is not an issue for you). that's the total cost today of two years of delbarton. ( 7th & 8th grade)

the avg. total apps for 9th grade back in my time was about 375 to 400 apps from across new jersey, new york, and PA.

the acceptance rate for a 9th grade class was about 100 to 120 max.

the key is outstanding grades, active in school clubs ( being a leader of a club helps), good in at least one sport helps ( delbarton is very big into athletics as well), know a music instrument.

almost all boys who apply to delbarton were honor students at the middle schools/grammar schools that they came from.

i was a consistent honor roll all thru grade school and i still did not make the cut for delbarton 9th grade. my brother was a consistent "high honor roll" and he made it. but of us played a music instrument and was good in at least one sport.

good luck. hope this helps.

p.s. my brother is a succesful attorney today in Massachusetts. from delbarton, he was able to make it to Boston college for undergrad, and columbia law school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey