Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 07:08 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
Not sure that Lake Hopatcong meets the "good school district" priority. If that was my top priority in choosing a house, Lake Hopatcong would be way down on the list.

$500-$700k won't get you near to being on a lake in Mountain Lakes, but it will get you lake access and one of the best school districts in the state. Lots are small though, maybe 1/2 an acre if you're lucky.
What is the problem with Jefferson Township schools?? My last one graduated 12 years ago so I don't really keep up on the school stuff, but being a substantial part of my taxes are going there maybe I should start to be interested again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2007, 08:19 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
What is the problem with Jefferson Township schools?? My last one graduated 12 years ago so I don't really keep up on the school stuff, but being a substantial part of my taxes are going there maybe I should start to be interested again.
I'm sure they are fine but if one is making a school district the "top priority" in choosing a location to live, Jefferson Township is not even in the same league as other towns mentioned here.

Old 07-02-2007, 01:35 PM

57 posts, read 309,670 times
There are many lovely towns in New Jersey with great schools. And even if people don’t have or want kids, schools are still important with regard to your investment.

As you would be moving from forest hills I believe you would be most comfortable with western Monmouth county or even parts of ocean county. The schools in Marlboro, Manalapan, Freehold township (not freehold boro) and Howell are out standing and well within your price range and commute. Brick is a great town in Ocean county (safest in the country they say) also with fantastic schools.

Old 07-02-2007, 03:04 PM

6 posts, read 22,018 times
Thank you for your advice this site is a huge help!

Old 07-03-2007, 12:20 AM

72 posts, read 326,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
There are many lovely towns in New Jersey with great schools. And even if people don’t have or want kids, schools are still important with regard to your investment.

As you would be moving from forest hills I believe you would be most comfortable with western Monmouth county or even parts of ocean county. The schools in Marlboro, Manalapan, Freehold township (not freehold boro) and Howell are out standing and well within your price range and commute. Brick is a great town in Ocean county (safest in the country they say) also with fantastic schools.
I'd look at some hard facts instead of opinions. Freehold Boro, which you were warned against, does have a well ranked HS and it is higher ranked than Freehold Township, Howell, Manalapan or Brick (the last of which was rather poorly ranked). Try this site for HS info: NJ Monthly

Old 07-03-2007, 05:38 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,202,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by novillero View Post
I'd look at some hard facts instead of opinions. Freehold Boro, which you were warned against, does have a well ranked HS and it is higher ranked than Freehold Township, Howell, Manalapan or Brick (the last of which was rather poorly ranked). Try this site for HS info: NJ Monthly
all those schools you mentioned excepting brick are part of the same regional school district, one reason the boro school is doing so well is because all the students from marlboro who were forced by redistricting to attend there.
You can choose to live less than 1 mile in any direction from the boro and avoid all the problems associated with the boro

Old 07-03-2007, 03:48 PM

10 posts, read 77,307 times
How about Montville located in Morris County. There are some beautiful homes on/near Lake Hiawatha. I recently took a ride up there... there are some huuuge homes as well as some that are more "regular sized" ones. Nice area.

Old 07-04-2007, 08:16 PM

57 posts, read 309,670 times
These folks are looking to get away from crack, smack and crime. I wouldn’t recommend Freehold Boro to then as an escape from the city.

Unless they want to live in a town full of illegal day workers, drugs and crime. In that case by all means move to Freehold Boro.

The towns I recommended have excellent schools and are wonderful places to live and bring up a family.

If you are willing to go down to brick you could even get a home on the water within your price range.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:45 PM

72 posts, read 326,280 times
most people forgot the criteria of lakes. You are not getting lakes in Monmouth County and as from Brick, NJ, the only thing you are getting from the water there is a high level of autism :Brick Autism Project Report, NCBDDD, CDC (http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/dd/report.htm - broken link).

The other suggestions of Mountain Lakes, and the western NJ counties are more on the money.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:03 PM

2 posts, read 6,177 times
Default Re: towns

You do NOT want to live in the vicinity of Marlboro or Manalapan actually. Or even Freehold Township anymore.

The people in the first two towns are some of the rudest, snobbiest and ugliest (in personality and I guess looks too) people I have ever come across, and I have lived in many towns around the state and in other states.

Most of the residents from those towns pretend they are loaded with money, but the truth is that most don't have money, are living off mostly credit, wear fake knock-offs of expensive brands and really grew up in duplexes in Staten Island and Brooklyn, N. Y.

STAY AWAY from those two towns. If there is any bashing going on about the towns around them, it's not the truth and it's coming from those people. The drugs are not to be found in any of the other towns, EXCEPT for those other two "m" towns. It's the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey