Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:22 PM

2,771 posts, read 6,274,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Who said I expect anything? Do you even know me? What I would like is school choice. Meaning buy a home anywhere and send my kid to any school. Sorry if you dont like this.
This is a small step in that direction, but unfortunately for you, most you're in the minority. Teachers unions hate school choice because they don't like choice in general, and conservatives in NJ don't like it because they have a "keep the bums out" mindset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
Just work harder or sacrifice $$ in a different area and buy a house in a better school district if you're not happy with where you are. You don't expect it to be just handed to you do you? Because someone else has it, you deserve it? Why?

You know very well that the top public schools are made that way mostly because of parental involvement...not because of $$$ spent on them.
As advice on how to get by in a broken system, that is fine and good. As a defense of that system, however, it is pretty unconvincing.

Why should someone who wants to spend more on their childs education express that choice by essentially bidding for prime real estate ? To put this another way, why should realtors be compensated for the performance of the school district ?

There are plenty of approaches that would allow parents to be involved in ways that didn't involve them spending large sums on real estate.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
You're assuming my post was stated as an absolute for every student.

The fact is, a child can be raised by a crack ***** and still become a Harvard MBA grad and successful entrepreneur.

The odds of that happening, however, aren't any I would bet my next paycheck on.
The question is, do you want it to be easier, or harder for them to beat the odds, assuming that they demonstrate that they are capable of doing so.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:28 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Meaning buy a home anywhere and send my kid to any school. Sorry if you dont like this.
Couple of questions.

1. How would the kids get to the school? Would it be the responsibility of the parent or school if I decide to buy a house in South Jersey but decide I want my kid going to a Northern NJ school district?

2. What happens when a school is starting to reach maximum occupancy? Would you hold a lottery to decide who gets in? And then what after that?

Old 09-12-2010, 05:34 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Couple of questions.

1. How would the kids get to the school? Would it be the responsibility of the parent or school if I decide to buy a house in South Jersey but decide I want my kid going to a Northern NJ school district?

2. What happens when a school is starting to reach maximum occupancy? Would you hold a lottery to decide who gets in? And then what after that?
I believe a lottery is exactly what is supposed to happen if it reaches capacity.

I would love to know how this is supposed to work. I have 3 honor students and one of which is G&T, in a failing district (yes, it has been tagged as failing by the state). I spend $ as it is to get them the extras I feel they need and aren't getting in school. Our district has also cut programs, activities, etc.
I would love to send my kids to a better school and I'll even do the transportation myself, no problem. They can keep the transportation $. I only want better for my kids.

Please don't tell me to move. Been trying for 3+ years and home value is even less than when I bought, so we're stuck, but should my kids have to suffer for it? I am glad there is now something that says they don't have to.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:14 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,872,385 times
Life is not always fair, or perceived to be fair. I would recommend that you get your kids involved in online learning or local educational opportunities like classes at a JC. Just think, the money that you are saving on real estate can go toward the cost of these opportunities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I believe a lottery is exactly what is supposed to happen if it reaches capacity.

I would love to know how this is supposed to work. I have 3 honor students and one of which is G&T, in a failing district (yes, it has been tagged as failing by the state). I spend $ as it is to get them the extras I feel they need and aren't getting in school. Our district has also cut programs, activities, etc.
I would love to send my kids to a better school and I'll even do the transportation myself, no problem. They can keep the transportation $. I only want better for my kids.

Please don't tell me to move. Been trying for 3+ years and home value is even less than when I bought, so we're stuck, but should my kids have to suffer for it? I am glad there is now something that says they don't have to.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:42 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,418,673 times
I think it will be very interesting to see what effect this has in areas where there are several school districts within a few miles of one another. In my area, for example, there are three separate high schools within about five square miles, two of which are very high on the list and one (my home district) which is not. We would love the option to send our kids to one of the other schools (especially since we pay property taxes to one of the neighboring towns on our backyard, which happens to straddle the line and is an "undeveloped lot" on the tax rolls--giving us no rights whatsoever). Transportation would not be an issue in this or similar situations, most likely.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:38 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
The question is, do you want it to be easier, or harder for them to beat the odds, assuming that they demonstrate that they are capable of doing so.
If that's the question then I choose easier. That was easy.

Now, as far as making that happen, the devil's always in the details and I'm not smart enough to revolutionize the current system or change the thinking of those who breed children but don't properly raise them.

Expecting NJ's political machines and NJEA union bosses to fix the social breakdown related to dysfunctional family issues is wishful thinking.

It's also helping to bankrupt the state.

Your possible solutions are welcome anytime here.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:57 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Life is not always fair, or perceived to be fair. I would recommend that you get your kids involved in online learning or local educational opportunities like classes at a JC. Just think, the money that you are saving on real estate can go toward the cost of these opportunities.

I'm in a failing district and who it's not fair to is the kids.
It's also unfair that most of the families don't care enough about it to go out and vote at school budget time.

Who says I'm saving on real estate? I lost on it and have accepted that much. I'm saying that this is a program that can benefit the kids that don't mind working hard in school or are in a poor school and they can see it. They have taken away honors classes in some junior high schools and a lot of kids are pretty upset about it, missing out on the challenge.

I'm not talking about disciplinary problem, failing kids, whose parents have their heads up their arse, thinking that the problem is all the other kids in the school, etc.

Thanks for the suggestions, however, I don't want my daughters to have to go to more hours of school per week. 2 of them are still in junior high. My high school student is already in an online learning class (VHS). I want them to enjoy the variety of activities/sports that they are involved in (private/travel sports, not school related), rather than sit in a classroom and learn what they should have throughout the course of the school day.

We teach our girls that life isn't fair and that they have to work hard - the motto is "anything worth having is worth working hard for".

Old 09-13-2010, 08:20 AM

312 posts, read 1,163,890 times
Busing kids out of town doesn't fix the system. Instead of shipping kids to other school districts we should be trying to improve schools in "broken districts." I can't believe that this is the best solution to this problem. If some schools are that bad then they should be shut down and no children should have to attend these schools.

If it is not the school that are the problem but rather the students in those districts then really there are greater societal issues we should be more concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey