Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 05:00 PM

6 posts, read 9,818 times

Advertisements

Can anyone suggest some towns that fit our criteria? Me and my wife (mid 20's) and our 4 month old daughter are looking to buy a house that has easy access to rt 80, good schools for when she gets older, and a place thats laid back but at least near some city or downtown life so that we arent bored to death. We also dont want to be the youngest people in the town lol... We are looking to spend around 200,000 which i see nowadays can get you a 3br out in warren/sussex/morris countys near rt 80... I have been looking online at hope township, mt olive, byram, hackettstown, and alumuchy.....any comments on these towns or any others you can suggest are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 07:58 PM

220 posts, read 621,514 times
I'm a Morris Cnty gal & am familiar with the towns you're asking about...

This website is great to give alot of info. I've put in Mt. Olive 1st...you can plug in any towns Moderator cut: link removed] also Mount Olive Township
NJ.com: School report card sorry this site is not updated yet for 2009.

If you have any questions...feel free to private message me....

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:36 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 09:22 PM

ive been to alot of website containing info about the towns but would like some real comments from people who know the area...Liz you arent able to accept private messages

Old 06-23-2010, 09:36 PM

220 posts, read 621,514 times
You can't send me a direct mess???? On my profile me e-mail is available...I'd be glad to communicate with you about these areas off here....

Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 PM

16,924 posts, read 12,473,274 times
Welcome to NW NJ. Its a different world west if I-287.

Where are you working? Better advice can be given if a work city is known.

NONE of those areas are dangerous. At 200K you will likely be west of Mile Marker 34.

Byram can mean anything from close to Rt 80 to WAAAAAY out. Had a friend in Hackettstown. He liked it. Have one who grew up in Mt Olive. Mostly I hear how Mt Olive cops are aggressive... even by NJ standards. Nice areas all.

The only bad school district I hear about much is I have heard Jefferson is having problems big time ATM.

The commute can be brutal... On 80 on a normal day barring rain or accidents going home you will likely run into traffic thru Paterson and another that will start somewhere between mile marker 45 and 39 and run thru mile marker 33.

I had a 48 mile commute from mile marker 65 then getting off at mile marker 34 going north on 15....
My personal record was 3 hrs 45 mins on a clear day with 2 mega accidents.
2nd place was around 3 hours during a near white out where I could not see the lane stripes on the highway and I was gambling the guy in front of me had some idea where the lanes were.

Most days it was 1 hr 15 mins. You can beat the traffic going in mornings. You probably can not beat the traffic going out afternoons unless you leave at 3PM.
Fridays during summer stink because of all the Manhattanites abandoning the city for their Pocono "cabins".

Old 06-23-2010, 10:50 PM

im working in rahway (far i know) but i lived in east stroudsburg for two years and made the commute everyday...i work 2pm-10pm so traffic isnt really a prob for me it used to take me 1.5 hours one way as long as there were no accidents...i really want to stay around an hour or shorter this time around, a coworker lives in stanhope and it takes him 45-50 min...Hope would prob be the absolute farthest west i would go and that would have to be very close to 80...btw what does ATM mean? newton seems nice as well?

Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 AM

20,222 posts, read 19,768,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badamson82 View Post
......but at least near some city or downtown life so that we arent bored to death. .......warren/sussex/morris countys near rt 80... I have been looking online at .....any comments on these towns or any others you can suggest are greatly appreciated.
When I think of "hope township, mt olive, byram, hackettstown, and alumuchy", the thought of "near some city or downtown life" doesn't come to mind.

Maybe somewhere near Phillipsburg in Warren County might give you what you're looking for there although I can't vouch for that town's downtown-type entertainment amenities.

Old 06-24-2010, 11:42 AM

ok maybe i should rephrase to "near something to do...anything!"

Old 06-25-2010, 03:27 PM

I think we really like this home in hope township but not sure about the schools, anyone have any opinions? It is rated a 6 on greatschools.org but i dont like to go by website ratings....they gave my school a 6 as well and it happened to be a very nice school that gave me a good education so....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey