Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 26,654 times

Advertisements

I'm done with my freshman year of high school and I'd like to get a job for the summer. The problem is, I cannot find a company that hires teens under 16.
Know of any companies?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2010, 05:45 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,733,374 times
How about just being a kid? Trust me you will have to work your butt off for at least 40 years why start now?

If you REALLY want to work I doubt that any companies are going to want to deal with the hassle of employing someone as young as you who is only allowed to work a couple of hours a week. Why not look for some lawns you can mow around the neighborhood? Put up a couple of signs at the supermarket for errand boy/girl. Charge people a nominal fee helping them with little tasks around the house or if you live in walkable town maybe run to the store for them. Also if you enjoy being with kids you can put yourself for hire at birthday parties to help parents out with the kids and be a "waiter" of sorts cleaning up after guests during the party and making sure the chip bowls are always full and glasses are never empty. Lead the kids in their games and paint a couple of faces. You can make a lot doing this since most people having parties at home will welcome having someone help out for a few bucks so they can enjoy their guests. I just gave my niece $100 to do this for me two weeks ago.

if you chose to do these types of tasks remember don't slack off, word of mouth will either keep you working all summer or will kill your chances for a referal or call back.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:58 PM

1,548 posts, read 4,294,868 times
Default Some ideas:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuster View Post
I'm done with my freshman year of high school and I'd like to get a job for the summer. The problem is, I cannot find a company that hires teens under 16. Know of any companies? Thanks!
Farms hire minors for the summer. Check summer venues like beaches and camps. Some retail establishments hire 14-year-old young people too.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:19 PM

168 posts, read 492,152 times
I got my first job at 14 right after I graduated 8th grade. Think outdoor auctions, small businesses, things like that

Old 06-22-2010, 08:55 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,679,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbuster View Post
I'm done with my freshman year of high school and I'd like to get a job for the summer. The problem is, I cannot find a company that hires teens under 16.
Know of any companies?

Thanks!
When I was your age (100 years ago) the only job I could get without working papers was a busboy. I do not know if that is still the case.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,465,675 times
You will need working papers for virtually any legitimate above board job. The reason most places don't hire 14 year olds is that you are very restricted in the type of work you can do and the things you can be around. There are also caps on the amount of hours you can work. Some places that generally hire 14 year olds are supermarkets who need bag boys and cart collectors.

I would really focus on looking for "side" jobs to do for people during the summer. Mowing lawns is a good one and many small businesses might be willing to give you some money on the side to do some simple jobs like sorting inventory. One thing to look for is older folks in the community that have homes to maintain. These are the folks who are generally willing to part with some extra cash to get their lawn mowed, flower beds maintained, maybe do some light maintenance work like painting. Do a good job, be courteous and respectful and some of these people might even turn into contacts to help you get a "real" job down the line.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:55 AM

20,222 posts, read 19,770,966 times
I second the lawn mowing option. If you do it right you'll have repeat customers on a weekly basis and a steady supply of income into early fall. Some of those may turn into odd jobs such as stacking firewood, taking stuff into/out of the basement, etc.

ICIBIU gave you the best advice on this thread "....if you chose to do these types of tasks remember don't slack off, word of mouth will either keep you working all summer or will kill your chances for a referal or call back."

Old 06-23-2010, 08:25 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,636,634 times
The problem you have is that most start applying for the jobs long before the end of the school year.

34:2-21.2. Minors under 16 not to be employed; exceptions; nonresidents

No minor under 16 years of age shall be employed, permitted, or suffered to work in, about, or in connection with any gainful occupation at any time; provided, that minors between 14 and 16 years of age may be employed, permitted or suffered to work outside school hours and during school vacations but not in or for a factory or in any occupation otherwise prohibited by law or by order or regulation made in pursuance of law; and provided, further, that minors under 16 years of age may engage in professional employment in theatrical productions upon the obtaining of a permit therefor and may engage outside school hours and during school vacations in agricultural pursuits or in street trades and as newspaperboys as defined in this act, in accordance with the provisions of section 15 of this act.

Minors may also engage in employment in domestic service performed outside of school hours or during school vacations with the permission of the minor's parents or legal guardian, in a residence other than the minor's own home. Nothing in this act shall be construed to apply to the work of a minor engaged in domestic service or agricultural pursuits performed outside of school hours or during school vacations in connection with the minor's own home and directly for his parents or legal guardian.

Except as to the employment of a minor for whom a theatrical employment permit has been issued, no minor under 16 years of age not a resident of this State shall be employed, permitted or suffered to work in any occupation or service whatsoever at any time during which the law of the state of his residence required his attendance at school, or at any time during the hours when the public schools in the district in which employment in such occupation or services may be available are in session.

NOTE: Domestic Service is difined as: the employment of hired workers by private households for the performance of tasks such as housecleaning, cooking, child care, gardening, and personal service. It also includes the performance of similar tasks for hire in public institutions and businesses, including hotels and boarding houses. This probably does not include the operation of power equipment.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:45 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,726,536 times
When I was 13, during the school year, I worked at the local car wash under the table on the weekends. I got a job as a newspaperboy during the week. During summer break I put the word out and cut grass. I helped out on Sunday EARLY mornings (4-6am) at a local bodega/fruit stand to unload the truck. I cleaned garages, I walked dogs, I hustled my butt off and made about $1800 all said and done by the end of the summer. The next year I stepped it up and made even more. By the time I was 17 I bought my own car with my own cash with a paid for a full year ins policy in my own name.

If you have the drive and ambition and the willingness to work hard you can find ways to make money. In this economy it is not going to be easy, but it can be done regardless of how old you are.

Old 06-23-2010, 11:11 AM

2,105 posts, read 6,636,634 times
I don't think they have newspaper routes any longer. Seems to be all adults handling large routes.

Up here, the farms hire kids for the jobs around the operation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: