U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 11:40 PM

35 posts, read 100,114 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I originally grew up in Jersey City and after hearing the news of the San Francisco gas pipeline explosion - PG&E ordered to inspect gas pipeline after blast | Reuters , I remember hearing about a project to construct a huge 30 inch gas pipeline through jersey city to provide gas to NYC and thought to myself - jersey city is screwed. The proposed route will be passing through downtown newport area and is sure to stop all new development in that area. Who wants to build next to a 30 inch pipe with gas at a pressure of 800 psi? =\

Did some googling and found the site: Jersey City NO Gas Pipeline Site has some great information. I think all jersey city residents, past and present, need to say enough is enough and I will no longer be NYC's *****.

There's been tons of discussion on this topic in other forums:
Kannekt - Forum - Jersey City General Discussion - Gas Pipeline Through Jersey City

AND

Jersey City List - HUGE GAS LINE COMING? Companies look to run natural gas pipeline through Jersey City [Message Forum - General discussion]

Thought I'll start one here. With the inherent explosion risks, health risks from construction and possible water contamination, lowering of property values, and the fact that jersey city is getting nothing from this pipeline, why is this even being considered by FERC (the agency that approves this stuff)?

What do you all think?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 01:36 AM

5,598 posts, read 14,402,699 times
That would be a great place for it. Most of what happens in J City doesn't make sense anyway so it would fit right in, and what an improvement, assuming no one gets hurt of course.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:42 AM

429 posts, read 862,783 times
It's not even built yet and you're already talking about it exploding, lol.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:02 AM

11,340 posts, read 18,203,039 times
-__-

That explosion was crazy though.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:59 AM

12,381 posts, read 24,490,816 times
I doubt it will get built , Staten Island , Bayonne , JC and Manhattan all oppose it , it passes by critical infastrature.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:15 AM

2,161 posts, read 4,350,759 times
Building a gas pipeline in NJ to benefit NYC?

This kind of reminds me of PSEG's Susquehanna-Roseland power line project...build giant towers in NJ so they can benefit by selling power to NYC at a rate much higher than they could charge in NJ.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I doubt it will get built , Staten Island , Bayonne , JC and Manhattan all oppose it , it passes by critical infastrature.
Spectra is claiming eminent domain. =\ I don't think it's up to any of the parties you mentioned. It's up to the Spectra energy shareholders

Old 09-14-2010, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindication15 View Post
Spectra is claiming eminent domain. =\ I don't think it's up to any of the parties you mentioned. It's up to the Spectra energy shareholders
If a City doesn't want it , then Spectra can't build it. 4 Cities don't want it , Homeland Security will get involved on this one due to all the infastrature it goes near. I talked to a republican politician he said the Governor is looking to have it rerouted on the water parts.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
If a City doesn't want it , then Spectra can't build it. 4 Cities don't want it , Homeland Security will get involved on this one due to all the infastrature it goes near. I talked to a republican politician he said the Governor is looking to have it rerouted on the water parts.
Good to know. Which politician did you talk to? From what I understand, the city has to declare themselves as an intervener.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindication15 View Post
Good to know. Which politician did you talk to? From what I understand, the city has to declare themselves as an intervener.
Bob Schroeder , i told him about my concerns and why no one on the state level is addressing this. He told me there aware of it and a few other non-NJ benefiting projects. I will go talk to him again today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey