Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,919 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I rented out a 2 bed room apartment in heights Jersey City. The landlord gave me an agreement which stated the rent only whereas after occupying the house, I came to know that the gas is being shared with the basement apartment.

This was never told by the landlord when I was occupying the apartment or even after a month. After seeing a huge PSE&G bill, I asked the landlord is there anything wrong with the amount of the bill which I am getting and there was no response.

Once I told them that I am about to ask PSE&G to inspect the possible cause, they came back saying the gas is being shared between the 1st floor and basement.

I think the basement apartment is not as per laws in US (correct me if I am wrong).

After which they agreed to say that they will share the equal amounts of the gas bill which happened.

But when I asked them to return the balance amount ($120) as part of security deposit they kept on saying that there is no balance as it got adjusted with the PSE&G gas charges which they shared.

I would like to know, is there a way to bring this to the notice of the local authority? If yes, then I would like to know their email address or phone number.

Also, is it illegal to occupy the car parking converted to one bed room apartment in Jersey City, New Jersey? If yes, do let me know how I can bring this to the notice of local authority?

thanks,
Sen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 06:27 PM

35 posts, read 109,171 times
If the residence is not a two family home, it is certainly illegal to rent out both floors to two different families. What makes a house a two-family home? Separate water and utility meters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: