Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 07:59 PM

2 posts, read 6,725 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm hoping to get some help here. My husband and I are looking for a good neighborhood to buy a house. Ideally, with an easy NYC commute as we both work in the city. We are also expecting our first child, so I would like a safe quiet neighborhood to live in.

We currently live in North Bergen, but I just feel the neighborhood is too congested. I would like a quieter place with more property space.

We have been looking in areas such as Clifton, Bloomfield, and Teaneck.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where else to look? I would love a good school system, and just a safe friendly neighborhood, where we can walk around at night and feel safe.

Would love anyone's input.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:29 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,818,272 times
Teaneck is drastically different from Bloomfield/Clifton. Teaneck can be very ritzy and expensive for the most part- There's really slim pickings in Teaneck if you want something below 400K, it also has a strong Hasidic Jew community. The puclic schools aren't all that good.

Bloomfield overall is nice, but the burden of having EO as a neighbor has been somewhat of an issue, nothing too serious. The majority of the city is nice, especially the western end of the city. The public schools aren't all that good or bad, but better than Teaneck and Clifton.

Clifton is the biggest of the 3. It's not great, but it has some really nice areas. The Paterson/Passaic areas tend to be shabby, but nothing extreme. Clifton's public school system is the worst of the 3- I know the HS there has over 3,000 students.

What's your budget? You may have better options.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,725 times
Thanks for the quick response.
My husband would like to purchase a house under 400k, since it would be our first house.

I am open to other neighborhoods as well, just want an easy commute to nyc.

I keep looking at other neighborhoods, but it seems impossible to find a decent house under 1 million dollars.

Thanks again

Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 PM

35 posts, read 109,197 times
Well, I am in the same boat as you and I am considering Hasbrouck Heights, Rutherford, Secaucus, and Fort Lee. All with above average (Secaucus) to great school systems (Rutherford, HH, Fort Lee). Commute in each of the areas is at or below an hour.

For under 400k, you might be able to find a 2 bedroom townhome and/or duplex in some of the above areas.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:34 AM

5 posts, read 14,252 times
Used to live in a great little town, Waldwick, NJ. Most homes at/under 400k, great city center, commute to NYC by car, train or bus. Surrounded by more upscale towns of Saddle River, HoHoKus, Ridgewood, Wyckoff. Checkout www.njhouse.com

Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 AM

38 posts, read 112,675 times
Have you taken a look at Metuchen? It is still possible to find homes for under $400k, the town itself is nice, commutible to NYC (approx 1 hour - and most homes are "walkable" to the RR station), w/ a really good school system (and the town itself is very family friendly).

Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,583 times
Nutley. We expect to move either there or Rutherford. Nutley is a bit quieter and greener and definitely more affordable. It has a downtown and a fair number of restaurants. You'll find plenty of houses with yards in the 300s and 400s (often with a pool). It has buses to NYC and is close to the Delawanna train station, Lyndhurst too depending on where you are.

Rutherford has trains and buses but it's very hard to find anything affordable close to the train. Most of the affordable homes in Rutherford need a LOT of work and have small yards. I did just see one affordable home with a yard that's pretty well renovated - DM me if you want details. But there's a lot of good stuff about the town. If we could find a nice place within a 15-min walk of the train, we'd go there. Otherwise we'll probably end up in Nutley.

Old 09-16-2010, 11:25 AM

12,546 posts, read 21,403,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crdgz View Post
Thanks for the quick response.
My husband would like to purchase a house under 400k, since it would be our first house.

I am open to other neighborhoods as well, just want an easy commute to nyc.

I keep looking at other neighborhoods, but it seems impossible to find a decent house under 1 million dollars.

Thanks again
a lot of essex county towns will have houses in your price range, but taxes may break your budget. west orange, south orange, livingston, verona, etc. and they won't be fantastic houses, just good houses.

how about fairlawn? i hear that's a decent commute to the city, it's near paramus, don't know about school system

Old 09-16-2010, 01:52 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcitychick View Post
Used to live in a great little town, Waldwick, NJ. Most homes at/under 400k, great city center, commute to NYC by car, train or bus. Surrounded by more upscale towns of Saddle River, HoHoKus, Ridgewood, Wyckoff. Checkout www.njhouse.com
Wonderful area. Even though I am now in NC, I grew up in Franklin Lakes and have such fond memories. These towns are just a hop, skip and a jump from Franklin Lakes.

Ramapo, class of 76.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey