Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 01:04 PM

625 posts, read 793,572 times

Advertisements

Please understand that current teachers ARE paying equal to what private sector employees pay for health care. Please get your facts straight. They also pay a much larger percentage towards their pension plan than ever before. So if you want to hate on someone it's the retirees not the current workers.

Retirees are the problem.

If the job is so easy, why are all of you who are complaining becoming teachers? If it's so easy? I work in the private sector and had the same mentality as many of you. I married a teacher and when you hear all of the truths that you guys aren't aware of you would be shocked.

They could pay me $100,000 a year and I wouldn't become a teacher. There are many excellent teachers making $50-$60k a year that deserve double their salary. My wife has been a teacher about 8 years and her increase over the last 8 years has been a total of 12%. Annualized that about 1.5% That's pathetic. this year they are working without a contract (again) and there salary is frozen. Previously after 10-12 years of service you would make $80k or so. Now...it's year 15-20 because of all the years they worked without a contract they didn't count that as a year of service.

I guess you guys want a bunch of clowns teaching your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 01:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,476,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdacunha View Post
Please understand that current teachers ARE paying equal to what private sector employees pay for health care.
so how long does it take for your wife to earn lifetime health insurance coverage for the two of you? what age can you start that?

Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 PM

431 posts, read 940,005 times
Wow a teacher gets 16k a month https://www13.state.nj.us/pls/nj_pub...90830::NO:RP::

Old 09-22-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
so how long does it take for your wife to earn lifetime health insurance coverage for the two of you? what age can you start that?

At least 25-30 years. She still has a LONG time before that...if it ever happens.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamnwk View Post

That is not a teacher's salary that is either a principal or former superintendent.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:05 PM

There are plenty of "regular" teachers collecting fair pensions. Don't use the extreme cases to make your point.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:05 PM

431 posts, read 940,005 times
Quote:
That is not a teacher's salary that is either a principal or former superintendent.
Wow great, so why the hell does someone need that much per month in retirement ?!?!?! As we the nj tax payers are paying for it

Old 09-22-2015, 02:18 PM

31,343 posts, read 14,078,978 times
Quote:
Please understand that current teachers ARE paying equal to what private sector employees pay for health care. Please get your facts straight. They also pay a much larger percentage towards their pension plan than ever before. So if you want to hate on someone it's the retirees not the current workers.

If the job is so easy, why are all of you who are complaining becoming teachers? If it's so easy? I work in the private sector and had the same mentality as many of you. I married a teacher and when you hear all of the truths that you guys aren't aware of you would be shocked.

They could pay me $100,000 a year and I wouldn't become a teacher. There are many excellent teachers making $50-$60k a year that deserve double their salary. My wife has been a teacher about 8 years and her increase over the last 8 years has been a total of 12%. Annualized that about 1.5% That's pathetic. this year they are working without a contract (again) and there salary is frozen. Previously after 10-12 years of service you would make $80k or so. Now...it's year 15-20 because of all the years they worked without a contract they didn't count that as a year of service.

Given the state of this country, I thought that was already happening.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:22 PM
46H

1,644 posts, read 1,379,216 times
Quote:

You forgot to mention tenure and 185 day work year. How much is it worth to know that your wife will have a guaranteed job for the next 15-20 years or longer? How much is it worth to have a job that requires about 3/4 of the days/year that most other full time jobs require? How much is a job worth that matches your school age kids schedules?

As for becoming a teacher - in my Bergen Cty school system there is basically no job turnover.

Old 09-22-2015, 02:38 PM

31,343 posts, read 14,078,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
You forgot to mention tenure and 185 day work year. How much is it worth to know that your wife will have a guaranteed job for the next 15-20 years or longer? How much is it worth to have a job that requires about 3/4 of the days/year that most other full time jobs require? How much is a job worth that matches your school age kids schedules?

As for becoming a teacher - in my Bergen Cty school system there is basically no job turnover.
Funny how they **ALWAYS** forget to mention some of the real bonuses.
Not only do they work 3/4 of the time as everyone else --- they get the BEST months of the year off - the summer.

Now comes the return response -- 'But don't forget all of the hours we put in after school to grade papers, etc, and all of the preparation hours'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey