Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:10 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,534,904 times

Advertisements

Tolls are still unfair and inequitable. The only pol really who has mentioned actually removing them, instead of moving them around recently was when Bret Schundler was running for Gov a few years back.
Delaware seems to be the only state around here that gets away with charging mostly out of state drivers $4 each way, which used to be $1 not that long ago to drive a few minutes of I-95 while the locals usually go around the block.

I'd rather see the toills removed before the gas tax might go up, but I don't see any politician having the balls to do that recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 05:14 PM

293 posts, read 588,874 times
Default Road Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
How is it the Turnpike's fault if there was a fire? Couldn't that happen on any road??
I agree how is it the Turnpikes Fault,thats like screaming and fighting with the Toll Takers on OceanDrive when 9th street bridge is closed do to bridge problems.Or when the Wildwood Bridge is having problems,go miles out of your way and scream at the Bridge Tenders,in Wildwood Crest.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:38 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,791,860 times
A Pennsylvanian complaining about are roads? Thats laughable considering the dangerous state of PA roads , narrow , no shoulders , no lights , bad signs.....At least the NJ TPK is at European Road standards.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:42 PM

877 posts, read 2,831,860 times
Does anyone remember when that bridge collapsed in Minnesota and then how they were doing a test on all the bridges in the country, and the one in NJ that was in the same condition as that bridge was the Pulasky Skyway? Are they going to fix this road up or wait until it literally falls on top of the turnpike corridor and creates another disaster this state will have to deal with?

Old 09-16-2010, 08:07 PM

There is a long term proposal to rebuild the Skyway but it's a big item,and would def cost a lot. Right now they, NJDOT, is rebuilding the Eastern end of it, building high flyover ramps redoing the whole Charlotte Circle, NJ139 approach, Tonnelle Ave, etc. They will eliminate that circle and light and traffic will connect above and around it. Also plans to redo the Whittpenn (aka"Burning Nun") bridge on Rt 7.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:31 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,791,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
There is a long term proposal to rebuild the Skyway but it's a big item,and would def cost a lot. Right now they, NJDOT, is rebuilding the Eastern end of it, building high flyover ramps redoing the whole Charlotte Circle, NJ139 approach, Tonnelle Ave, etc. They will eliminate that circle and light and traffic will connect above and around it. Also plans to redo the Whittpenn (aka"Burning Nun") bridge on Rt 7.
Theyve already started , rebuilding the Tonnelle Avenue Circle , JC section of the Pulaski Skyway. The New Wittpenn Bridge is also UC. There are also plans to redo and upgrade the PATH , CSX , & NJT Bridges. Also building a new NJT bridge, as far as i know the circle is staying. The traffic feeding into will be less though.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:55 PM

It's known as the St Paul's Ave project. More info, maps, etc on this DOT link:Route 1&9T(25) St. Paul's Viaduct Replacement, Overview, Construction Updates, Commuter Information

I'm not sure they've done anything on the Whitpenn (burning nun) Bridge yet. Friends of mine from the area say locals call it that since a car full of nuns hit the side and caught fire years ago.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:16 PM

5,251 posts, read 13,778,147 times
Traffic accidents are MUCH more common in PA than in NJ.
Just putting that out there

Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
Traffic accidents are MUCH more common in PA than in NJ.
Just putting that out there
Yup, I second that. Those PA drivers in Morrisville area are maniacs. My sister totaled her car on the PA Turnpike a few years ago as well after getting hit head on by some guy who was swerving all over the highway.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
LOL "Burning Nun"? What's the story behind that nickname, I wonder?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey